Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

SE Expert Dev Recs

• 12 posts
    May 16, 2018 1:39 PM EDT

Hi Folks -

We're doing a final round of dev before going live and have narrowed down our choice of SE Experts to 3. If anyone has experience with these dev shops I'd love to hear your experience good or bad

Social Engine Solutions - Seems to be the best combo of price and customer service 

iPragmatic - Bid is almost double SES but they seem very knowledgeable about SE

Social Engine Add Ons - Bid & time estimate is by far lowest of the 3 finalists but I'm concerned they're under estimating the scope of project which would concern me... or maybe they are just the fastest / cheapest ?

We're launching a social network for student athletes in the US. We have a lot of highly customized functions so need devs who are able to handle anything in SE and are progressive thinkers when it comes to UI/UX

Currently on 4.9.4 but upgrading to 4.10

Than you in advance for any insight  !!!

• 2315 posts
    May 16, 2018 1:56 PM EDT

Moved to third party section. :) Hope you get some good answers.

• 53 posts
    May 16, 2018 2:19 PM EDT

Hey Adam,

So, I want to preface that I am also a custom developer. While I am not on the SE site, I do have a strong working relationship with them as well as SES does some of my "overload" development. That being said, here is some information for you.

SES - great developers if you give them a CLEAR and DETAILED scope of work. I love them to death but if I expect them to understand a process as an end user, they won't and don't. This isn't a bad thing per say, but they take your words exactly as they are and do what you ask. I find when I give them projects I have to almost write a full scope of work including work flow from start to finish for them to work on. If I don't, its a lot of back and forth and lots of late night chats due to location. The other issue is with best intentions, they do have delivery date issues. I am sure they mean well but again if the work is not clear from the start, it won't be on the time they promise. Out of the 3 you suggested however, SES is the one to look at the most. 

iPragmatic - I know very little about them. I have seen their work and their code and I will tell you it is clean. As for delivery issues or scope of work detail or the ability to think outside the box, I cannot comment. I would say if you choose them, just know its a "tread lightly with a big stick" type of deal.

SEAO/Big Step - I am not one to bash on someone but this is one time I am going to suggest you read the forums here and then realize you need to stay as far away as possible. One of the fundamental advantages for a CMS is module development. This means at no time under any circumstances should you ever touch the SE core. This is something that SEAO is known to do because its "easier", however, this means that when SE releases a feature or security update, you need to get SEAO to complete the update and then re-do any customizations that need to be done. This also means you could be opening up your site to security issues as well as data mining issues. This is one time where money matters and do not skimp on quality. 

If you would be interested in sending me a scope of work, there are a few customers here who can tell you my company has the skills and experience to fulfill whatever it is you are looking for. I will also tell you that we will be the most expensive, we won't be the fastest due to internal policies on testing and quality control and that when we are done, our purpose is to have set expectations met or exceeded. We are not volume developers. We believe that each customer, regardless of the CMS is to be treated with dedication and commitment. If you are interested in a quote, send me a private message here either with the details or I can give you my email or Skype if you wish. The other advantage of my team is we are located in North America (Canada), so sometimes that is advantageous when it comes to scheduling and conversations. 

I hope this helps you with your answers and I hope your next site iteration is beyond your expectations in quality and user functionality. 

• 12 posts
    May 16, 2018 3:44 PM EDT

Thanks Ryan! Tons of valuable insight here very much appreciated!!

• 139 posts
    May 17, 2018 4:49 AM EDT

@Adam, if you have any queries regarding our bid, then please let us know in our ongoing conversation for the same. We would be happy to clear those.

@Ryan, though we have not worked on any projects with you, and though you're not our customer, please share with us actual cases where you've noticed the problems you've mentioned above.

• 53 posts
    May 17, 2018 10:57 AM EDT

@SocialEngineAddOns - I am going to make this perfectly clear - I will no longer engage with your company anymore. I have told you that after my experience with PrimeMessenger and after seeing the "work" you do for my own personal clients, I will no longer be in a place to give your company grace, understanding, or respect. Vidit knows how to reach out to me to resolve this matter and to rectify what complete disrespect you show clients. You can continue to try and post things to discredit me and my company, but your actions, as well as mine, speak volumes. Please stop asking me to engage with you in public, I am not interested because your company morals and ethics are to discredit and disrespect myself and many others. 

@Adam - I had an amazing call with you yesterday. I am so excited to see what myself and my team can do to help you. We met this morning and our team is excited to work on such a fast growing and dynamic project. We will have all the information over to you as agreed upon and will continue to make sure the high standards you require and deserve are met. Thanks for all your time!

• 139 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:36 AM EDT

@Ryan, your allegations have always been completely baseless, and you have been continuously ranting about us on various threads.

Even in the other thread that you started, our email conversation that you've copied clearly shows that you're trying to make up a case against us where none exists. We haven't posted anything that discredits you or your company. We're just countering your baseless discrediting of us.

While we respect your independence to express your opinion, please give legitimate proofs of cases when you write about us. For example: When you wrote above that: "This means at no time under any circumstances should you ever touch the SE core. This is something that SEAO is known to do because its "easier"....", you should have a valid case for it. Please share that case with us, or with @Donna, the community manager.

• 2315 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:51 AM EDT

We allow members and experts to post their views. However, I got dragged into the other thread to check a site and would prefer that you post here or discuss amongst yourselves. Posting proof is fine as well. Please do not post any sensitive information though.

• 61 posts
    May 22, 2018 6:21 AM EDT

Adam, can I offer you an additional quote for your project?

• 308 posts
    May 23, 2018 3:14 PM EDT

Hey Adam - I have spent a significant amount of time working with SocialEngineSolutions the last few months and must echo what Ryan said. They are quick to respond, do great work and are reasonable with their pricing.