Cansored word violation actions

• MWL
    • 6 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:07 PM EDT

Hello. 

I wanted to request a page that give us a list of users that have triggered censored words violations, and allow us to take action. 

The actions can include:

1. verbal warning through email and inbox

2. temporary account suspension

3. perma ban

This would help out administrators greatly in catching members that are violating our terms of service policies.

• 6923 posts
    May 31, 2018 12:53 PM EDT

Thanks for your request. Please do check our stickied posts at the top of each forum section. In this section, we have the requirements for feature requests in order for them to be considered. Please fill in the rest of the details in order for this to be considered and note that we allow only one request per feature request. http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3/submitting-feature-requests

• 71 posts
    June 25, 2018 5:41 AM EDT

We have implemented something similar for a client recently.

The client had a problem with spammers who messaged hundreds of other users. But there were no clear words to trigger the ban action by.

So we have used the approach is the new user has messaged more than X different members within last 10 minutes - the messaging gets temporarily blocked for this user. And the abuse report is generated for the admin to review.

If you are having a hard time with spammers you might want something more strict in place of course.

Temporary account suspension can be set with Moderator Toolbox plugin.

Question: do you want to have this triggered by checks in private messages or forum posts? Or in all plugins?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 25, 2018 4:02 PM EDT

FYI - Webhive's Moderator Toolbox Plugin is extremely useful and easy to use.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:24 AM EDT

What does that do exactly?

• 71 posts
    June 28, 2018 5:13 AM EDT

It saves time.

1. Allows using Moderators level in SocialEngine - people with that level get functionality to check profile details (like IP and email) and ban or delete accounts (there is log for moderator actions so admin can review them). Moderators also get access to reports page. So admin does not need to forward there details.

2. It adds advanced search page (like search by IP).

3. It includes "moderation profile widget". So it's easy to quickly ban the person from the profile page. Also on the profile page it displays other accounts with the same IP (useful to detect multiple accounts by the same person)

4. It allows "temporary bans" - often you need to ban users for a short period for misbehavior.

We have also added some small things there based on needs we had while managing communities for clients. For example, we display the number of messages sent by users. As often there are problems with spammers using personal messages. Ia you have a new user with 100 messages - there us a high chance you need to check that account.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 7:08 AM EDT

I'm going to have to buy it then. I didn't know that existed. I need that because spam bots love to terrorize my community.

• 275 posts
    June 28, 2018 1:22 PM EDT

Had no idea this existed. 

Looks like a great tool

One thing Im never sure about is and dread testing is

We have ONLY seao plugins  (about 50).

If we add other 3DP plugins , will the site will break ?

Should we never ever mix 3DP plugins?

I never understood that.

Thanks !

This post was edited by playmusician at June 28, 2018 1:25 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    June 28, 2018 2:37 PM EDT

==> '...We have ONLY seao plugins  (about 50).  If we add other 3DP plugins , will the site will break ?...'

I suppose that depends on the Expert & Plugin.  At one point I had over 150 Plugins by several 3PDs, and now down to around 120 (including 1 Plugin by SE).  I cleaned up a lot during the 4.09.* upgrade process (after deleting around 3 dozen, as well as a few installed that are Disabled since 4.09.* finally made that work properly).  Anyway, I have Plugins by SEAO, SES, SocialEngineMarket, SocialEngineExperts, Radcodes, Webhive, Hire-Experts, Web80, and SocialEngineMobi) - 5 of these have their own Core.  In almost 3 years of development (from 4.08.* through 4.09.04p4) I've had few issues between Plugins by different 3PDs (by few I mean so few that it didn't register as this being a challenge - and they were always .css issues that were easily resolved).  If you want to take a look at the site to see for yourself, just PM me.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I did take many months (as in hundreds of hours in a spreadsheet) building the list of Plugins needed to meet the project requirements (based on reviews, demos, emails to 3PDs, etc.).  But it seems that over recent years, much (all?) of the poor-quality/bug-ridden products by bad 3PDs has been filtered out of the Marketplace (and now Certified should help clean up much of what's left).

• 275 posts
    June 28, 2018 2:56 PM EDT

Gs 

Thanks that helped a lot. 

Didnt even know that was possible.

Will PM you,  Thanks !

Your help is shining a path on  a lot of the unknown doubts we were having,

and helping clear up the misconceptions we had.

Your posts are laden with experience and time spent,

Thank you for your posts and help.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:12 PM EDT

Awesome. Yeah they're normally good products. I only wish they could be introduced better and with regular maintenance. That way you only see an update once it's tested and works fine with an existing site. That's the whole purpose of certified which I love. I only wish it was more popular now because it seems that really is the way to go if everything non certified is as buggy as you say.

I still think 120 plugins is insanely cool. You must have a ton of needs for your community. Wouldn't mind taking a peak.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:21 PM EDT

You're welcome.  I'm only an Expert with what I know (very little, like 2+2 = 5 and the sky is green).  But thanks for your appreciation.  I appreciate your input too, especially your insight/perspective on topics.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:26 PM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:

Awesome. Yeah they're normally good products. I only wish they could be introduced better and with regular maintenance. That way you only see an update once it's tested and works fine with an existing site. That's the whole purpose of certified which I love. I only wish it was more popular now because it seems that really is the way to go if everything non certified is as buggy as you say.

I still think 120 plugins is insanely cool. You must have a ton of needs for your community. Wouldn't mind taking a peak.

- Certified won't necessarily serve any purpose with buggy software, only if buggy upon install (and brief clicking around).  I've wasted 1000+ hours reporting bugs, retesting, re-reporting the same unresolved bugs, etc.  This is one of the things stated that Certified was supposed to do - test functionality.  I'd pay a fortune for that.

- RE: Ton of needs... : I had a lot of requirements to create something, but since I'm not quite yet in Production, I have yet to find out if any of it is worthwhile to anyone.  We'll see. 

- Lots of Plugins: Since I'm not in Production yet, I can't speak of any negative impact due to tens of thousands of Users like some here can, but my guess is that being this heavy will eventually require an extensive backend (if it ever actually attracts enough Users)

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:29 PM EDT

That's true. We can only do our best with what we have. Don't sweat the small stuff. If things need reposting, I just would take a screenshot and repost it. That way you don't have to type it out again. lol

• 275 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:35 PM EDT

Gs,

We are exactly in the same spot as in

-make sure every feature,design aspect and future hiccups are well planned and to evaluate the usefulness of plugins and features before going live..

With positive updates and changes happening all around  with SE and 3DP,

We've taken a wait-and-watch approach.

We feel we are on the cusp of things as the buggy stuff / design issues gets depleted and addressed.

Its is a good time to learn and partake in  discussions (socialengine and 3Dps) so we can give a rock-solid platform to our 

clients and users when we go live.

I think socialengine as a platform is growing up as more (SMB) businesses (payment/subscription) join vs the no-risk smaller hobby /community sites (no money transaction).

and hopefully in the near future will be a solid enterprise  platform

Theres a lot of stuff that needs to be addressed , hope the market forces will drive quick change for reliability , features and performance for users and system admins.

To run social engine (with 3DP) as a pure business platform requires testing, evaluation and time

-cause liability comes into play when run as an SMB and with facebook , privacy laws coming into the mix, its best to tread carefully.

By sharing our common knowledge it will help us implement guided proven solutions for our sites.

This post was edited by playmusician at June 28, 2018 4:05 PM EDT