Community

Forums » Website Feedback

Are non-certified Plugins no longer in the Marketplace?

• gs
    • 516 posts
    June 7, 2018 5:59 PM EDT

I was unable to find some Plugins then realized there were only 3-4 pages of Plugins listed.  Even when selecting 'All' next to 'Socialengine PHP Apps' it seems to only display certified plugins. 

Q#01 If this is the case, how/where do we find non-certifed Plugins, or is this just the way this newer marketplace will forever be?

Q#02 How do we obtain upgrades to Plugins we purchased prior to a 3PD Certifying the same Plugin (i.e. it was purchased from them not through the marketplace)?  Or are we forced into re-purchasing through the marketplace (I sure hope not)?  I vaguely recall something about having to contact each 3PD directly, but can't find a thread about that.

Thanks.

• 1867 posts
    June 8, 2018 4:39 AM EDT

Q#01 If this is the case, how/where do we find non-certifed Plugins, or is this just the way this newer marketplace will forever be?

Our intent was always to move to a fully certified marketplace. We allowed 7 months for experts to port their plugins over to certified. We had hoped to have moved to fully certified months ago but had tried to give plenty of time for submissions. As we have been receiving complaints from clients due to upgrade issues and seeing site issues from source modifications, we decided to give a deadline last month. Experts were given the notice to get things certified and to submit any hook requests or other changes they might need for us to do to core.

Q#02 How do we obtain upgrades to Plugins we purchased prior to a 3PD Certifying the same Plugin (i.e. it was purchased from them not through the marketplace)?  Or are we forced into re-purchasing through the marketplace (I sure hope not)?  I vaguely recall something about having to contact each 3PD directly, but can't find a thread about that.

You would go to the expert to get those updates. They can still service their clients. They just can't sell certified plugins from their site.

• gs
    • 516 posts
    June 8, 2018 8:35 AM EDT
    re Q#01
    IMHO, this decision is disappointing, very disappointing. I used to refer to tthe marketplace often for numerous reasons. In fact, if I came to SE today, I wouldn't even consider purchasing because there's so few Plugins available to address my requirements (I originally only purchased SE based on available 3PD Plugins - I only need SE Core & Photo Albums - everything else is replaced with a better, more extensive 3PD product; and Photo Albums is used only because a 3PD Plugin requires it)..

7 months may seem like a long time, but when it's sandwiched between 2 major version upgrades (4.09.* and 4.10.*), 7 months doesn't seem like a long time - especially for those 3PDs that have more Plugins and code than even SE does. Even SE doesn't have the resources to address the dozens of FRs that haven't even been touched for years.

All our valuable time/effort writing reviews is just wiped out. Not feeling the love here when my valuable time is tossed out of the window.
    Plus how are we to find out about Plugins now - just wait until someday when they're certified? Forcing this all upon us seems very unfair.

Ultimately we ADMINs are paying for the 'privilege' of Certified Plugins because I doubt most 3PDs can afford to lose the 30% fee when so many Plugins are already priced so low - this cost will most likely be passed on to us. I mention this because I don't appreciate having to pay for something when I have no input into decisions that negatively impact me and my site.

Such an incredible loss of valuable information. This is one way to make ADMINs and 3PDs reevaluate using SE at all, and alienate us.

Ugh. I could go on but why bother - the decision and damage is already done.

Plus it seems I'm the only one bothered by all of this, so it must be me :)
    This post was edited by gs at June 8, 2018 8:49 AM EDT
    • 151 posts
    June 8, 2018 10:23 AM EDT

I noticed the removal after you mentioned it.

My thoughts are that this "should" motivate the 3PDs to get their plugins properly coded which in the long run will enable those of us that use them to have a piece of mind in purchasing them.

My personal experience right now is after 9 years of shady development practices and my lack of knowledge in what was occurring I am up against getting my site transfer over to SE from another script is proving to be a long task of trial and error. If over those 9 years I had certified plugins and developers to choose from I would not be in the position I am right now.

The only downside I see to this move is it will take people a little longer to find a solution. But that in itself could be a good thing for the "buy on a whim" crowd.

This post was edited by ITLJames at June 8, 2018 10:23 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 516 posts
    June 8, 2018 11:17 AM EDT
    re: '... peace of mind in purchasing them ...'
    Certified offers me little at this point. No callbacks is good. Guaranteed updates and support in a reasonable time is good (but how well this is this actually monitored/enforced?). No core edits is good (but with SE performing almost no FRs, that leaves little choice but to edit Core). The primary issues I've experienced in almost 3 yrs (with almost a dozen 3PDs and over 100 Plugins) is: 1) Plugins not doing what they say they do; 2) very delayed support by 1 3PD; 3) multiple 3PD cores slowing things down. Certified does nothing for 1/3 and can't say about #2 since that 3PD (and most others I use) have few products certified.

In my world thus far, Certified has done nothing to benefit me (yet) and most likely never will, and this recent situation of removing non-certified is a huge negative. I really don't need the 'benefits' of certified. What I need is 3PDs 2 remove their cores, and for SE 2 finally implement dozens of FRs - many quite old.

Also, since most of my purchases are pre-certified, I'll never receive any benefits of certified unless I repurchase all of them, so basically I will forever live in a non-certified world unless I spend over 5k-6k to repurchase everything. SE doesn't have a process/solution for this other than repurchase in/through their marketplace only. So although my non-certified Plugin may be the 'same' as a certified one, it officially can't be because it wasn't sold through SE's Marketplace, and thus will never receive whatever benefits are bestowed on Certified products. The entire history of reviews for all these products is now gone.

re: '...take people a little longer to find a solution ...'
    IMHO this prevents it. Where can someone now find solutions to their needs other than visiting every expert's site? And most don't have reviews because they used to exist here. Helping others in this forum is now harder too because one can't easily find Plugin info/solutions to answer questions that are often posted.

This post was edited by gs at June 8, 2018 11:23 AM EDT
    • 151 posts
    June 8, 2018 11:49 AM EDT

Interesting take GS and I can see your points.

Maybe a solution SE can look at is a separate marketplace for non certified so that there is segregation and buyers are better able to distinguish the "risk"

• 4 posts
    June 8, 2018 11:49 AM EDT

I see a few issues with this,

1. 3PD hasent updated the plug in and wont, leaving the ones that purchased plugins high and dry.

2. 3PD will update the plugin and then charge a new fee for the new version leaving those of us that spent money on the plugin buying it twice just to make it work.

"Also, since most of my purchases are pre-certified, I'll never receive any benefits of certified unless I repurchase all of them, so basically I will forever live in a non-certified world unless I spend over 5k-6k to repurchase everything. SE doesn't have a process/solution for this other than repurchase in/through their marketplace only. So although my non-certified Plugin may be the 'same' as a certified one, it officially can't be because it wasn't sold through SE's Marketplace, and thus will never receive whatever benefits are bestowed on Certified products. The entire history of reviews for all these products is now gone."

I really hope this isnt the case.....

I have had nothing but problems the last few days trying to update my site only to be left with a broken site due to this change.

• 1867 posts
    June 8, 2018 11:56 AM EDT

@gs - Reviews will not be gone. Please have a look before posting as such. You can see that the current certified that were converted from non-certified have the old reviews archived. We had said this before though. That old reviews would be in the archived review tab of the plugin.

Experts are actually excited to have the marketplace certified. It takes the burden off them for hosting the files. At least, the ones that we've been speaking to are happy with this change. Yes, it means more work right now to certify but it's worth it.

Clients asked for things to be tested. Clients complained about the non certified plugins, many in many tickets. About upgrade issues, even more. We had to act. This is where the marketplace was intended to go all along and was announced two years ago. 

You can still get your downloads at the expert's site. You would ask them for how it will work though. 

We also offered experts time to submit hook requests that they might need. We worked with expert's feedback for other things they had concerns about and solutions were found that do NOT require core edits where they WERE editing before. 

We will take action against any expert who is not providing the required support or breaking any terms. Clients would have to report such and show the proof. It is the only way that part of things can work. Report to us in a ticket, not here in the community. 

We even added a Bulk Deals menu so that experts can bundle their stuff together for better deals. At their request. 

Thank you all for your feedback. More improvements are coming.

This post was edited by Donna at June 8, 2018 11:59 AM EDT
    • 1867 posts
    June 8, 2018 12:00 PM EDT
    CymonSez said:

I see a few issues with this,

1. 3PD hasent updated the plug in and wont, leaving the ones that purchased plugins high and dry.

2. 3PD will update the plugin and then charge a new fee for the new version leaving those of us that spent money on the plugin buying it twice just to make it work.

"Also, since most of my purchases are pre-certified, I'll never receive any benefits of certified unless I repurchase all of them, so basically I will forever live in a non-certified world unless I spend over 5k-6k to repurchase everything. SE doesn't have a process/solution for this other than repurchase in/through their marketplace only. So although my non-certified Plugin may be the 'same' as a certified one, it officially can't be because it wasn't sold through SE's Marketplace, and thus will never receive whatever benefits are bestowed on Certified products. The entire history of reviews for all these products is now gone."

I really hope this isnt the case.....

I have had nothing but problems the last few days trying to update my site only to be left with a broken site due to this change.

The only issue we know of with third party plugins and upgrading is not due to the marketplace change but is instead due to the database and core edits that were done that break the upgrade process. One of the reasons we decided to finally change to certified only. This removes that part of the problem for clients.

This post was edited by Donna at June 8, 2018 12:00 PM EDT