Hide Unapproved (banned) members

• 378 posts
    June 18, 2018 11:51 AM EDT

We have 100 members who we have banned from our site over the years. We want to keep their information (to ensure they are not returning) in our admin panel but do not want them to show as pending approval

We created a user level called banned and placed them in there - is there a way to hide the fact that they are awaiting approval? Does SE have a ban feature?

• 6923 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:08 PM EDT

I use the built in banning tools, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1642513-admin-panel---settings->-spam-and-banning-tools

Otherwise, set that user group to private. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1665238-admin-panel---manage->-member-levels . There might be other options too. Not in my dev site atm to play around. 

• 378 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:48 PM EDT

Perfect - Thanks "Data"!

• 119 posts
    June 25, 2018 1:05 PM EDT

Hi ITLJames

This is how I create two hidden Networks for "Banned users" and "Moderators/admins" on the site.

Only Admin can add the members to the networks. Makes it much easier to manage the site.

Go to: https://mysite.com/admin/network/manage/create

Hope this helps

• 378 posts
    June 25, 2018 1:15 PM EDT

WOOT you the man! (I am assuming lol)

I am going to try this!

• 378 posts
    June 25, 2018 1:19 PM EDT

Ok I created this but how do you control their access afterwards - Right now I have the disallowed by not having them enabled/approved

• 119 posts
    June 25, 2018 1:46 PM EDT

You can give User a moderator level and add them to this network. You can add moderators to a Network, so it is easier to communicate.

Normal members who are banned:

Create a copy of the Default Member Level as above, then go through each module you have and give access NO.

Here a sample of Albums:

Hope this helps, will check a few more settings

This post was edited by Maurits at June 25, 2018 2:09 PM EDT
    • 119 posts
    June 25, 2018 2:08 PM EDT

Found another page for settings, that is at Member Level:

https://yoursite.com/admin/authorization/level/edit/id/8

Check all green like below:

Basically with these setting a Banned User is not allowed to do much

If you create a Cover photo say background red and white text "Banned User", you can upload it here.

If it is an existing user, go the member members, and untick User account enabled. Stops users from logging in and adding content whilst you are deleting content.

I go into their account and delete all content, photos, banners, and other content.

The I set the member level to Banned and untick account enabled, this will not allow them to login.

Hope this helps

• 378 posts
    June 25, 2018 3:04 PM EDT

Ahhhh ok I see how you accomplished this - this will work but is some work to setup.... Feels like this would be an amazing plugin for one of our fine developers to create

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 25, 2018 3:42 PM EDT

@Maurits

Wow - that was fantastic, and very helpful.  Thanks for taking the time to share, esp with such great detail.

• 119 posts
    June 25, 2018 3:53 PM EDT

@ITL James:

It looks more work than that it really is: create a member level, create a network, set the settings. Then attack your "pleasant" users smile

@GS:

Always happy to help if I can. It only takes a few minutes of your time to help someone smile

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 2:53 AM EDT

This works for permanent banned members. But not for the spam bots that always find their way on board.

• 119 posts
    June 28, 2018 11:32 AM EDT

@Elshara

You could also set the sign-up to manual approve members, but that will be more work

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 11:59 AM EDT

Oh it is. Especially considering the fact you don't get notified when a new member signs up in that way.

• 119 posts
    June 28, 2018 4:31 PM EDT

I do think you can set it to send email when someone signs up. I get emails when someone signs up on my site.