Change Display Name

• 378 posts
    July 17, 2018 12:16 PM EDT

Is there a way to change a users' display name - I am not seeing it in admin or via a members profile, all I see is a place to change username.

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2018 1:16 PM EDT

https://community.socialengine.com/members/edit/profile it would be there.

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2018 1:19 PM EDT

or if you mean for you to:

• 378 posts
    July 17, 2018 2:51 PM EDT

I see that here but on my site I do not - there must be a setting somewhere hiding it... time to dig! It only shows username not display name on our site as an editable option

This post was edited by ITLJames at July 17, 2018 2:52 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 17, 2018 9:45 PM EDT

When searching Articles for display name, this is what I found so far:

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1644307-admin-panel---settings->-profile-questions?b_id=14386

Specific types, however, are much more interesting! Many have special features specific to that type of field. For example, the "First Name" field and the "Last Name" field, will automatically become the member's display name in the system if they exist .

When searching articles for username, this is what I found so far:

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1665238-admin-panel---manage->-member-levels?b_id=14386

Allow username changes

You are also able to control whether members are allowed to change their usernames they signed up with or whether they will need keep the same username they signed up with. Selecting "Yes" would allow members to change their username at any time by going their “Settings” page and changing their “Profile Address”. Selecting the "No" option would force members of this level to keep the same username they registered with.

Results of here vs. my site (4.09.04p2):

- here I see the display name field when editing my profile (but no f/l name)

- my site ADMINcp: can see the display name but can't change it

- my site editing my profile: don't see the display name (thus obviously can't chg it), but do have f/l name

So it seems @ITLJames that I have the same result (with last year's version) that you have (probably with a version of 4.10.*).  Maybe this was customized for this Forum (since I can't seem to yet locate any doc on how where to chg display name by ADMIN or User)?  

This post was edited by gs at July 17, 2018 9:46 PM EDT
    • 378 posts
    July 17, 2018 11:51 PM EDT

You are thorough! I am running 4.10.3p1 - the plot thickens!

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2018 4:30 AM EDT

This site is not customized for display name. Perhaps you are both using a member plugin? 

It's always best to check our demo to see default vanilla stuffs. https://demo.socialengine.com/members/edit/profile after signing up, I see there that I can change my display name as well. 

• 378 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:52 AM EDT

I am using SES advanced members - I do not think it interferes with the display name though as its more for search capabilities and the like, not profile info

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2018 9:05 AM EDT

Perhaps it has member level settings for what they can do? I can't find a reason for it not to work with default stuff. 

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2018 9:06 AM EDT

Double checked my author site and it also can change the display name. I'll move this to third party plugin discussions for now as it appears related to something with that. I can always move it back if it's not.

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2018 9:07 AM EDT

One other thought is, the Display Name is linked to the First Name/ Last Name profile questions. Did you remove or change those?

• 378 posts
    July 18, 2018 10:06 AM EDT

Yes I changed first to displayname and removed last. I felt this was best so there wasnt the redundancy in signup where it asks for username and then display name which is confusing

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 20, 2018 9:43 AM EDT
    RE SEAO Adv Members
    Yes, tthis is why I don't have Display Name. As per their Support, they have chosen to disallow editing of the field. I have requested to put back this functionality, so we'll see what response I get.

• 378 posts
    July 20, 2018 11:07 AM EDT

I am running SES advanced members - I wonder if it is the same for that

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 20, 2018 6:16 PM EDT
    ITLJames said:

I am running SES advanced members - I wonder if it is the same for that

Quite possibly.  Let me know what you find out after checking with them.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 20, 2018 6:20 PM EDT
    Donna said:

This site is not customized for display name. Perhaps you are both using a member plugin? 

It's always best to check our demo to see default vanilla stuffs. https://demo.socialengine.com/members/edit/profile after signing up, I see there that I can change my display name as well. 

Display Name is not in the demo either (see below screenshots - the first is the SignUp page, the second is the Edit Profile page).  So maybe this is an SE thing and/or a 3PD Product thing. 

What's interesting is that the Demo displays the F/L names, but not the Display Name, whereas here in the Forum, the opposite is true.  Seems strange that this is the way it is with both supposedly running the version of SE.

I'm sure @Donna will resolve this (just like she does so well on everything else

• 378 posts
    July 20, 2018 6:32 PM EDT

It could be that it is not enabled in the demo. I have SES inundated with work at the moment but will ask them if their Advanced Members Plugin, or any others of theirs that I have, disallows display name editing

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 20, 2018 6:36 PM EDT
    ITLJames said:

It could be that it is not enabled in the demo. I have SES inundated with work at the moment but will ask them if their Advanced Members Plugin, or any others of theirs that I have, disallows display name editing

Possibly, but I presumed that @Donna already checked that due to her response to always check the Demo first, and that it's probably a 3PD Product, rather than us going on a wild goose chase for nothing  But maybe it's an ML thing in the Demo. 

This post was edited by gs at July 20, 2018 7:30 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 20, 2018 8:17 PM EDT

It is default here. I just had First Name phrase changed to Display Name and forgot I did it. If you just keep First Name active and change it to Display Name, that works. 

• 6923 posts
    July 20, 2018 8:20 PM EDT
    gs said:
    ITLJames said:

Possibly, but I presumed that @Donna already checked that due to her response to always check the Demo first, and that it's probably a 3PD Product, rather than us going on a wild goose chase for nothing  But maybe it's an ML thing in the Demo. 

I did check the demo by logging in and testing a user. I didn't check the admin as I didn't have time. My mistake was to not notice I was looking at First Name.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 20, 2018 8:26 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 20, 2018 8:53 PM EDT

@Donna

I'm getting confused - my apologies.

Does SE out-of-the-box have separate editable fields for first name, last name, and display name?  I'm used to systems that have all 3 since often times people prefer a handle/nickname to be used everywhere instead of their name, but still store their valid/actual name in f/l name fields.

• 378 posts
    July 21, 2018 1:08 PM EDT

I am using the pre-profile questions username which is then shown as the members displayname:

I didnt want signups to have to choose a username there and then when creating profile specific information have to re-enter it (where you would find first/last name etc) Maybe I have my signup sequence setup wrong? 

• 6923 posts
    July 23, 2018 4:50 AM EDT
    gs said:

@Donna

I'm getting confused - my apologies.

Does SE out-of-the-box have separate editable fields for first name, last name, and display name?  I'm used to systems that have all 3 since often times people prefer a handle/nickname to be used everywhere instead of their name, but still store their valid/actual name in f/l name fields.

First name/ last name are the display name. They are editable out of the box. I showed a screenshot of it. You can see the fields at the demo in the admin if that helps.

I've never had a system with all three. On the other scripts, I've seen displayname and username. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2018 10:25 AM EDT

Got it now

Thanks.  Although I read how the f/l are used for Display Name, I still thought there was a separate field for Display Name, not that it was an automatic/permanent 'calculated' thing that can't be changed (i.e. it's always the f+l names, not just initially the f+l names but editable).

• 378 posts
    July 23, 2018 10:47 AM EDT

LOL clear as mud for me too - Makes sense but I need to figure out how to make it work for my needs and not add a redundancy for our members.