How translation CSV files are processed in SocialEngine

• 36 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:29 AM EDT

I wonder how CSV language files work. Normally we add translation for word A as follows: 

"A";"B"

This pretty much works for all cases where there is a single word or a simple sentence.

However, I find many where there are special placeholders like the following: 

1- %s

2- %1$s or %2$s

3- Usages like "A";"B";"C"

4- {item:$subject} likes {item:$object}'s photo.

5- Usages like "A"=>"B"

and so on.

Another question is how translation methods work in SocialEngine. What methods are used for translation?

I ask this because I have problem translating many words like "10 photos", "100 albums", etc. I have tried using "%s photos" as the first word, but with no success. Could someone give me a good clue how the translation system works in SocialEngine? Are translation failures due to application bugs or do I need to respect a special pattern or tip?

This post was edited by mehdi at July 18, 2018 8:30 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 18, 2018 9:09 AM EDT

All of that is covered in the documentation, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1658320-admin-panel---layout->-language-manager . Please view the Tips section in that article.

• 36 posts
    July 21, 2018 5:39 AM EDT

What happens if the plural and singular forms of a word are the same in the target language. Do we still need to have both sentences (one for singular and another for plural). See below for example:

<pre> "%s like in common";"%s like in common";"%s likes in common" "%s like in common";"%s لایک مشترک ";"%s لایک مشترک "</pre>
    This post was edited by mehdi at July 22, 2018 1:02 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 23, 2018 5:09 AM EDT

I don't know much about languages. Perhaps someone else will have more info for you. Sorry.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2018 10:27 AM EDT
    Donna said:

I don't know much about languages. Perhaps someone else will have more info for you. Sorry.

Is it possible for one of the other SE Staff Members to chime in on this?  It might be the only thing that another staff member knows that you don't

• 6923 posts
    July 23, 2018 12:27 PM EDT
    gs said:
    Donna said:

Is it possible for one of the other SE Staff Members to chime in on this?  It might be the only thing that another staff member knows that you don't

There isn't one to chime in atm as the only other one to ask that knows the code would be a core developer and they are working on next version. It would take you to experiment to see how it works and post your tips for the clients if you have time. Thank you.

• July 23, 2018 4:09 PM EDT

Don't get the code developer out of his cave if someone else can help

If I understand, correct answer for your question is yes, you must have both even they are the same.

Little clarification: ( first "A" is the code always, other are plurals)

In ENG:

Simple sentence: "A";"B"

"Plural" sentence: "A";"B";"C" or "A";"A";"B"

Other languages:

Simple sentence: "A";"B" - the same

"Plural" sentence: "A";"B";"B" or "A";"B";"C"

Some other languages - like mine.

Simple sentence: "A";"B" - the same

"Plural" sentence: "A";"B";"C";"D" or "A";"B";"B";"C" or "A";"B";"C";"B" or...

Here is the screenshot if you ever translated anything on Facebook:

• 6923 posts
    July 24, 2018 4:33 AM EDT

Great post Groucho! Thanks for the help. cool