Flash required error when i upload video from mobile device

• 6 posts
    July 26, 2018 1:25 PM EDT

Has anyone else had this issue?  When im trying to upload a video from my mobile device, (not a link) it seems to upload, but then gives the error that I need flash?  This was not happening before, and not with my other SE site.  I contacted my host TMD hosting about there possibly being a problem with ffmpeg, and their response was to use a browser that has flash...which obviously is not a viable option.  The upload works fine using a desktop.  Im aware of the fact of flash not being used especially on android devices, which is why I thought it was a ffmpeg issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated

Jerome

• 6923 posts
    July 27, 2018 4:26 AM EDT

We removed flash in 4.9. What version are you using? Are you using a third party plugin that has flash perhaps?

• 6 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:59 PM EDT

Im currently on 4.10 The strange part is I didnt seem to remember having this issue prior to the ordeal I went through last month with the site reverting back to trial mode one day. And having to re-update everything. when I copy links from youtube etc, they work fine, its only videos that are native on my phone that I try to upload that do not work, and give me the flash error.  Its my understanding, and I could be wrong, but the ffmpeg is supposed to handle this type of conversion etc. isnt it?  I talked to my dev. this morning and he said his guy said there was still some encrypted code they ran into when trying to make some changes, this made me cringe because it sounds like for some reason there is still some old files left that didnt update and might still be in trial mode?  Would them seeing encrypted code still indicate that it has not updated properly yet?  As far as i know the theme im using from Social Engine Solutions is not encrypted, i paid for it.  The encryption issue and the video issue might not be connected, but they are both a huge problem.  

I am trying to decide the best course of action, maybe you can give me some insight.  I dont know if I purchase your support if you could go through the site and verify that there is no remaining trial version files left if possible?   and possibly look at the video issue, I dont have any 3rd party video plugins.  Or secondly, is it possible to disable the 3rd party theme and use the default SE theme, without the site going down for long?  My preference of course would be to have it gone through and not start all over, but I need to get these issues stabilized asap.

thanks

Jerome

on2slife.com

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 27, 2018 6:14 PM EDT

Some suggestions and/or answers to your questions:

• If you recently purchased SE and the SES Theme, you may still be within the free/included support window for one or both companies.  If so, reach out to them, realizing that although SES may be willing to help with SE and SES issues, SE most likely will only resolve SE issues
    • If your free/included support has ended then you may obviously purchase support from one or both, but I'd suggest you contact them prior to purchasing support to be sure it's something they are willing/able to resolve.
    • You may change the Theme to Default without needing to disable it, but to better test this you may eish to Disable the SES Theme after you have switched to the SE Default Theme just to be sure the SES Theme isn't interfering with anything (I doubt it is, but this process should make the site run as if the SES Theme was not installed)

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2018 3:05 PM EDT
    Donna said:

We removed flash in 4.9. What version are you using? Are you using a third party plugin that has flash perhaps?

I dont have any 3rd party plugins that i know of that use flash, but  ive done some more digging, and it seems to be simply that the flow player  SE uses wont load through the mobile device, because flowplayer  Im assuming, is flash based.  Videos that I load from the mobile device play fine on desktop, just not on the mobile.  It just says im missing the flash plugin.  Not sure where to go from here.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 28, 2018 5:35 PM EDT

Are you using Android or iOS (I'm presuming Android because you mentioned Android, but didn't specifically state that's what you're testing on)?  What version? 

What mobile browser/version are you using?

What desktop OS and browser are you using?

What SES Theme are you using? (I ask because I believe their SpectroMedia Theme includes their HTML5 and Advanced Footer Plugins, and the HTML5 Plugin allows video).

Have you tried to use the SE Default Theme and disable the SES Theme?

This post was edited by gs at July 28, 2018 6:41 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 30, 2018 9:05 AM EDT

Some of the third party core plugins did/do use flash. You might want to check that if you are able to use the upload fine on the other site like you said. Check to see what's different between the two.

As for encrypted files, it depends on which file they meant. You can always re-run the upgrade from trial steps from the uploading part (no need to do the license stuff). In case you hadn't run the upgrade plugins routine twice as the instructions said to but this should not be the reason for the flash issue as the trial is 4.10 and doesn't have flash.

• 6 posts
    July 30, 2018 10:58 AM EDT
    Donna said:

Some of the third party core plugins did/do use flash. You might want to check that if you are able to use the upload fine on the other site like you said. Check to see what's different between the two.

As for encrypted files, it depends on which file they meant. You can always re-run the upgrade from trial steps from the uploading part (no need to do the license stuff). In case you hadn't run the upgrade plugins routine twice as the instructions said to but this should not be the reason for the flash issue as the trial is 4.10 and doesn't have flash.

Yes, Im checking with the theme developer to see if they meant the socialenginesolutions theme or the core files.  I was going through the backend yesterday trying to find out more info, and in the video plugin under utilities I noticed that the html 5 box was NOT checked.  I checked it, but did not see any change, but today my dev. tells me they are able to upload video from the mobile.  Should what I did yesterday in checking the html5 box make a difference with the mobile playback?  I couldnt find any info in the knowledge base on this.

thanks

• 6923 posts
    July 30, 2018 11:20 AM EDT

It could and you can check server settings as well. I am not sure tbh. I don't recall having this issue from my iPhone. Are you able to upload videos now? You may need to clear your cache in your cell browser.