Chat / IM Shows Members Online who are NOT online

• 10 posts
    July 30, 2018 5:11 PM EDT

I know my site and traffic very well. I have chat set to show "everyone". Seems the number of people showing as online just keeps growing and growing, and the system does not detect when they go offline. I know for a fact that there's never any more than 50 or 60 online at any given time. Currently, chat is showing 278 online, and growing every hour. There's no way there are 278 members online on my site.

Also, you can go to the members page and look up a member showing online in chat, but showing offline on their profile.

Anyone know how to fix this so that chat shows only people that are actually online?

This post was edited by Jobee at July 30, 2018 5:12 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 30, 2018 5:23 PM EDT

What version of SE?

What version of PHP?

• 10 posts
    July 31, 2018 12:14 AM EDT

PHP version 7.0.25

SE version 4.10.3p2

• 6923 posts
    July 31, 2018 6:22 AM EDT

Please check your task manager as the online stuff is controlled by that. If it is not working or there are errors, you would need to look into the cause of that. Perhaps the tasks are not running. Also, check your settings for the Chat plugin. 

• 10 posts
    July 31, 2018 5:37 PM EDT

This is what is shows in task scheduler:

Chat Data Maintenance 60 seconds Succeeded: never 
    Failed: never 

Never succeeded, never failed. So not sure what that means.

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2018 5:12 AM EDT

Did you double check your server error log for the tasks? Are they being blocked from running?

• 10 posts
    August 3, 2018 2:36 AM EDT

I couldn't decipher the error log to save my life. I don't have any clue what any of that means. We're not all expert developers here. That's why we buy scripts from developers. So the log is worthless to me. 

So I switched it to cron, worked fine for a few hours, but now the chat task just runs on and on and on. Currently: 

Running for 102065 seconds

Any suggestions?

This post was edited by Jobee at August 3, 2018 2:38 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 3, 2018 5:39 AM EDT

Generally, when we ask to check error logs, we expect those who are not experts to post an error so that we can help decipher it.

Check for third party plugins that use the task manager heavily such as activity feed, etc. See if disabling any will get it unstuck. Check with your host to see if anything is blocked. Ask for cURL to be enabled or ask the host why it's not working with cURL as they would have more info.