Private Page design - how to?

• 378 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:50 PM EDT

Hey all

A big part of our community is subscription for access to certain areas of content.

With that said when a member level is not allowed to view an area where they land is VERY dull and does not inspire the purchase of a subscription...

How would I go about changing this page - other than with language manager?

Would an SES plugin such as https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/page-builder-and-shortcodes-plugin work and if so how would I enable it to show up to member levels that need to see it when hitting subscription based content?

Cheers!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 6, 2018 12:54 AM EDT

I apologize for not following, but what exactly are you trying to show by ML - a page? certain content on a page? 

Or are you wanting to display a msg for those that don't have permission to view a page?  

• August 6, 2018 6:18 AM EDT
    ITLJames said:

Hey all

A big part of our community is subscription for access to certain areas of content.

With that said when a member level is not allowed to view an area where they land is VERY dull and does not inspire the purchase of a subscription...

How would I go about changing this page - other than with language manager?

Would an SES plugin such as https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/page-builder-and-shortcodes-plugin work and if so how would I enable it to show up to member levels that need to see it when hitting subscription based content?

Cheers!

James, our Page Builder & Shortcode plugin will help you create new Pages and show your own content. You can choose to show / hide these widgetized pages based on Member Level, Profile Type privacy.

But, if you want to modify and improve your Private pages & Error pages, then you can use our "Advanced Error Pages Plugin". Currently this plugin is not certified since it modifies core to enable enhancements to Maintenance Pages. If you want, you can contact our support team to discuss in detail.

Regards

Team SocialEngineSolutions

• 378 posts
    August 6, 2018 12:11 PM EDT

Perfect thanks SES - 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 6, 2018 6:32 PM EDT

Both SES Plugins mentioned are excellent and useful.  If you're trying to control access to existing pages, Webhive's Access Mgr will do it well, and allows wildcards.

https://webhive.com.ua/store/product.php?id_product=69

• 378 posts
    August 6, 2018 11:20 PM EDT

Thanks GS - I think I have my site buttoned down pretty well with existing member level access control, now I am onto better user experience so will go with the SES advanced error page plugin. I know it has core changes but its necessary for any site that is subscription based I think

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 6, 2018 11:58 PM EDT

You'll definitely like their Error Page Plugin.  SE has/does/includes so little out-of-the-box that utility type Plugins like this are a necessity, as you said.

I have a feeling that I'll be having more core changes since I finally decided to move to 4.10.* this year because I don't want to risk the nightmare that will be upgrading the site to V5.  Most (90+%) of my Plugins are stll not certified, and some aren't even yet available for 4.10.*, so I can't imagine how long it will take for them to catch up to V5.  My only regret will be if dozens of FRs that have been repeatedly postponed for years are finally developed and included in V5.  But with all the major platform changes supposedly included in V5 this year, my guess is there will be many revisions to it before it's somewhat reliable which means it will be a loooong time before everything I need for V5 will be ready from 3PDs.

• August 7, 2018 12:21 AM EDT

@James and GS: We will be submitted the Advanced Error Pages plugin soon for certification and will disable the functionality for which we have to modify Core.

Regards

Team SES

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2018 12:33 AM EDT

@SES

What functionality are you disabling for Certification?

• August 7, 2018 7:14 AM EDT

@GS: We are removing the code for Maintenance Mode only. But, with minor customizations, if a client want, he can use this feature also.

The plugin is already submitted for certification and we will update here once it is certified.

Regards

Team SES

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2018 7:47 AM EDT
    @SES
    I would hope that you would provide the instructions for the minor customization since clients shouldn't lose functionality that was paid for due to SE's business practives. Just another example of the downside of this whole Certification thing that so far continues to only cost me time and money and uncertainty, with no tangible benefit.
    • 378 posts
    August 7, 2018 9:04 AM EDT

Thanks SES - I will grab this plugin once its certified

• August 7, 2018 10:02 AM EDT
    gs said:
    @SES I would hope that you would provide the instructions for the minor customization since clients shouldn't lose functionality that was paid for due to SE's business practives. Just another example of the downside of this whole Certification thing that so far continues to only cost me time and money and uncertainty, with no tangible benefit.

@GS: This change will be for new customers only and Yes, we will provide the code level change as FAQ in our Help Center.

Since you already have a copy of this product, you can still use the same as that will work well for you. We have not modified the licensed copy with this change for existing clients.

Regards

Team SES

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2018 11:10 AM EDT
    @SES
    Does this mean you plan to have 2 versions of this product in the future - one for Certified and one for non-Certified (i.e.purchasers prior to Certification)? If yes, is this your plan for all of your products that existed before SE created this Certification requirement?
  • August 7, 2018 11:34 AM EDT
    gs said:
    @SES Does this mean you plan to have 2 versions of this product in the future - one for Certified and one for non-Certified (i.e.purchasers prior to Certification)? If yes, is this your plan for all of your products that existed before SE created this Certification requirement?

Yes, we are maintaining the licensed copy for all existing clients.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2018 2:02 PM EDT
    SocialEngineSolutions said:
    gs said:
    @SES Does this mean you plan to have 2 versions of this product in the future - one for Certified and one for non-Certified (i.e.purchasers prior to Certification)? If yes, is this your plan for all of your products that existed before SE created this Certification requirement?

Q#01 So will these 'licensed' copies contain callbacks?

Q#02 Will you be offering a path to upgrade to Certified products?  And if yes, what is it?

• August 8, 2018 2:27 AM EDT
    gs said:
    SocialEngineSolutions said:
    gs said:

Q#01 So will these 'licensed' copies contain callbacks?

Yes. Its is working as it was working earlier.

Q#02 Will you be offering a path to upgrade to Certified products?  And if yes, what is it?

To get a certified copy, you will have to purchase it again from SE marketplace. We will then, can replace the licensed copy with the certified copy without any data loss.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Team SES

• August 8, 2018 7:27 AM EDT

@James: Our plugin is certified now. You can checkout here: https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/advanced-error-pages-plugin .

Regards

Team SES