Automatically adding from a category to a group or network

• 18 posts
    August 12, 2018 11:53 AM EDT

My developers have created a category/menu upon registration, that corresponds to a user's congressional district.  Now I need admin to be able to send messages to the whole district.  Do I need to add them to the group/network first?  Is there a way to automate that?   

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2018 6:51 AM EDT

You may want to bookmark our table of contents for our knowledgebase as it will make finding tutorials faster. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1686929-socialengine-php-v4-table-of-contents?_ga=2.172810467.19264474.1534151074-1188446897.1534151074 laughing

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1649382-admin-panel---manage->-networks you can set up networks so that profile questions automatically assign them to a network.

• 18 posts
    August 13, 2018 9:43 AM EDT

Thanks!  I tried to do that but I can't.  My site is set up as follows.  The registration form asks the new user for their district:

I add those options as categories for a discussions plugin:

When I do as you say and add a network, the district profile question does not show up as an option:

Do you have any idea how I might automatically assign users to a group or network to facilitate messaging?  Also, can I switch ofmessaging between group members to prevent spam? 

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2018 10:09 AM EDT

I didn't realize you are speaking of a customization. You'll need to ask whomever made your customization to your site. Unless I'm getting confused with the images as you've got a few things above added to this such as the Discussion customization then the networks and groups. You can have them automatically join a network based on profile question answer. They won't automatically join a group though. Below you see that after I clicked the "saber colors" profile question, it showed the option for the matching value. (that would be light saber colors lol) I would then have selected one of those colors that would auto-assign the member to this network.

The only way to restrict messages is to disable it per member level. There is no group specific way to disable messages though.

• 18 posts
    August 14, 2018 2:08 PM EDT

So I guess my question is, if I have a profile question that says "In which district are you eligible to vote?" (see first image above) why isn't that showing when I create a network under the scroll down menu called "related profile question" (see my third image above).  Is there somewhere I can add the profile question and answers "In which district are you eligible to vote?" so that they do show up when I create a network under the scroll down menu called "related profile question"? 

Thank you!

• 6923 posts
    August 15, 2018 5:08 AM EDT

It should be showing up. Without accessing your site, it's hard to say why it isn't. When viewing, are you scrolling down? You should see a lot more than what you showed in your screenshot as all of your profile questions should show. Once you select one, you should see the answers to pick from like my screenshot showed.

• 18 posts
    August 15, 2018 10:06 AM EDT

Yes of course I scrolled down.  See:

When I go to profile questions I get this:

And when I register I get this:

Any idea why the profile question is not showing under "Related Profile Question" when I create a new network?

• 6923 posts
    August 15, 2018 12:07 PM EDT

I don't know as you are only showing the Registered member level in your image. Are there other member levels that might have other questions? It's very hard to say what's going on without coming to the site via a support ticket.

• 18 posts
    August 16, 2018 11:51 AM EDT

It would not matter because both profile types/registered member level (expert and regular) have the same question ("In which district are you eligible to vote?") and yet the question does not show up when creating a new network.  What do you think is going on here?  Would it cost me money to start a support ticket?

• 6923 posts
    August 16, 2018 3:06 PM EDT

If you are within your support time from purchasing the license, it won't cost to send a ticket.

• 18 posts
    August 17, 2018 9:18 AM EDT

Oh.  Wow.  Will you stop responding to my forum posts at some point or will you always be available to troubleshoot?  It looks like no one else is responding to my posts.

Also would you mind responding to my question: It would not matter because both profile types/registered member level (expert and regular) have the same question ("In which district are you eligible to vote?") and yet the question does not show up when creating a new network.  What do you think is going on here?  

• 6923 posts
    August 17, 2018 10:01 AM EDT

I had responded in that I don't know what is going on and we need to check the site in order to assist. There is something odd here. Please send us a ticket so we can have a look. You will need support access if you don't have it. I can't tell from in the forum and will check once the ticket is submitted.

• 18 posts
    August 20, 2018 6:36 AM EDT

You said " If you are within your support time from purchasing the license, it won't cost to send a ticket."

How much is support when I am outside my support time?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 20, 2018 5:41 PM EDT

==> '...How much is support when I am outside my support time?...'

Last year I paid $50USD for a month.  Some 3PDs also offer support for a fee that includes all their Products as well as SE.  But when I require SE to sort out something then I bring in SE (such as an issue last year due to PHP 7.* and SE 4.09.* that was caused by a 3PD product, but no one, not even the host could figure it out and I wanted to eliminate finger pointing).  Just an idea.

Also keep in mind that SE only supports the most recent version and one prior (the definition of version is vague though) so to be sure you'd want to check with SE.  The point here is that you may not even be able to receive support from SE due to the version you have installed, even if it was installed only a month or so prior.  This is another reason to consider using a 3PD for support, since they often support older (not really old) versions.

This post was edited by gs at August 21, 2018 2:35 PM EDT
    • 18 posts
    August 22, 2018 1:20 AM EDT

I did not see the "In which district are you eligible to vote?" question among the profile questions for "Regular Member" picture.  The question "In which district are you eligible to vote?" looks like it was on the first screen along with the "Password Again", "Profile Address", and "Profile Type" fields.  I don't think the fields on the first screen are part of the profile questions with regard to them showing up when you "Create Network".  This is likely the cause of why you are not seeing it in the dropdown menu when creating a network.  Try adding the question under "Editing Profile Type: Regular Member" and see if it shows up when creating a network.

Now I need admin to be able to send messages to the whole district.

Within SE 4.10, I can see that the admin can send email to all members within a Member Level or multiple levels (Manage > Email All Members).  I don't see a way to do it by network.

One possible solution, with the available SE functionality, is to put all members within a district in their own member level (as well as their own network).  That way members can post to their own Network/district and set their privacy setting as such.  With the member level for each district, the admin can email all members within a district or multiple districts.