I have lost access to the admin area

• 28 posts
    August 12, 2018 2:26 PM EDT

I am the super admin for my organization's site. I signed in to my site as usual, but there is no longer a link to the admin area. I had a bunch of pages open in the admin area, and now when I try to refresh them, they return a "page does not exist" response. 

I'm the Super Admin and I cannot log in to the admin at all.

It's a PHP version residing on servers under my control. I don't know what version, because I don't have admin access to look that up or anything else for that matter.

1. How do I get my admin access back?

2. Why would this happen?

Can anyone help? (I really don't want to pay for support again. It was a huge waste of money for a small not-for-profit organization like ours.)

• August 13, 2018 2:25 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

I am the super admin for my organization's site. I signed in to my site as usual, but there is no longer a link to the admin area. I had a bunch of pages open in the admin area, and now when I try to refresh them, they return a "page does not exist" response. 

It's a PHP version residing on servers under my control. I don't know what version, because I don't have admin access to look that up or anything else for that matter.

Can anyone help? (I really don't want to pay for support again. It was a huge waste of money for a small not-for-profit organization like ours.)

@Opas: We would be glad to assist you with the debugging and possible resolution of this issue on your website. Please contact our support team at support@socialenginesolutions.com to report the issue.

Regard

Team SES

• 6923 posts
    August 13, 2018 5:07 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

Did you map profile types? Perhaps you accidentally mapped the admin type. 

Did you try signing up with another account and making it admin in the database? Note that if you did map the super admin level, this won't help. You would be able to make it a general admin though and log in. But I don't think you would be able to change the super admin mapping back.

Did you search the knowledgebase and see if any of these might help? https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/search?q=admin&b_id=14386 asking because there are quite a few tutorials and some for how to access admin such as resetting the password, etc.

• 28 posts
    August 13, 2018 2:06 PM EDT
    Donna said:
    OPAS said:

Did you try signing up with another account and making it admin in the database? Note that if you did map the super admin level, this won't help. You would be able to make it a general admin though and log in. But I don't think you would be able to change the super admin mapping back.

Did you search the knowledgebase and see if any of these might help? https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/search?q=admin&b_id=14386 asking because there are quite a few tutorials and some for how to access admin such as resetting the password, etc.

I checked the database and there are 95 articles about the admin function and none of them are about troubleshooting a complete lack of access.

• 6923 posts
    August 14, 2018 4:52 AM EDT

What about the other questions I asked?

• 348 posts
    August 14, 2018 6:23 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

Hi Opas,

Please try below solution for your problem. Take the database backup before performing below steps :

1. Open your Database in cpanel
    2. Run below query 
    `

UPDATE `engine4_users` SET `level_id` = '1' WHERE`engine4_users`.`email` = 'YOUR_EMAIL';

YOUR_EMAIL = Add your user email which you want to make super admin 

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 15, 2018 4:58 AM EDT
    • 28 posts
    August 14, 2018 10:56 PM EDT

Hi Donna. You asked:

I don't even know what you are asking, so I doubt if I did either of these things.

No, I did not as I have no idea how one can sign in as a regular member and then turn yourself into an admoin. that sounds rather insecure if people can do that.

• 28 posts
    August 14, 2018 11:06 PM EDT

Hi Socialengineaddons, you said:

2. Run below query 

I have no idea how to do either of these. When I get into the cpanel I see the following screen:

It does not indicate how to open the database. I tried clicking on phpMyAdmin, and this is the result:

I have no idea what my username nor password for my database files are. No one ever told me.

So I have no idea what to do.

• 6923 posts
    August 15, 2018 5:02 AM EDT

I believe SocialEngineSolutions was offering free help. Might want to ask them to see. Messing in the db is dangerous if you aren't sure what you are doing as that's the entire site stuff and one slip and it's gone. We can also help if you have support access. Ask Kyle about non-profit discounts (not sure if we have any but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Thank you @SocialEngineAddOns for the db query. Please next time follow the posting rules of putting it in code tags (the icon next to the smiley icon is for code tags). 

• 348 posts
    August 15, 2018 8:21 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

Hi Socialengineaddons, you said:

2. Run below query 

I have no idea how to do either of these. When I get into the cpanel I see the following screen:

It does not indicate how to open the database. I tried clicking on phpMyAdmin, and this is the result:

I have no idea what my username nor password for my database files are. No one ever told me.

So I have no idea what to do.

Hi Opas, 

I request you to please reach out to us at support01@socialengineaddons.com. We would be happy to solve this problem for you.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at August 15, 2018 8:22 AM EDT
    • 28 posts
    August 16, 2018 6:59 PM EDT

I know you want to charge me $50 USD to fix whatever has gone wrong with the SocialEngine code. Exactly how are you going to do this when I don't have the Username nor Password for the database?

• 378 posts
    August 16, 2018 9:45 PM EDT

Hey Opas - things such as this don't typically happen on their own and from what I read above it sounds like your knowledge isn't as advanced as it should be to get into your DB and start making changes. I would highly suggest paying an expert such as SEAO to work some magic for you and then I would really dig in deep to understand what/who has access to your site and how you can ensure this doesn't happen again.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 16, 2018 10:27 PM EDT

@ITLJames

Yep - fully agree.  Plus backup, backup, backup... offsite, offsite, offsite.

• 6923 posts
    August 17, 2018 4:47 AM EDT

Well we can also check and fix so if there is a fee he may as well come to official channels. However, SES (SocialEngineSolutions) told me that they wouldn't charge him.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 17, 2018 4:47 AM EDT
    • 348 posts
    August 17, 2018 7:59 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

I know you want to charge me $50 USD to fix whatever has gone wrong with the SocialEngine code. Exactly how are you going to do this when I don't have the Username nor Password for the database?

We won't charge you anything to fix this problem for you Opas. Please share your website details with us at sales@socialengineaddons.com.

Exactly how are you going to do this when I don't have the Username nor Password for the database? >>

Your Database Info can be obtained from following file :

SE_DIRECTORY_PATH/application/settings/database.php

array ( 'host' => 'DB_HOST_NAME', 'username' => 'DB_USER_NAME', 'password' => 'DB_PASSWORD', 'dbname' => 'DB_NAME', 'charset' => 'UTF8', 'adapterNamespace' => 'Zend_Db_Adapter', 'port' => NULL, ),

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at August 17, 2018 9:21 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 17, 2018 8:18 AM EDT

To make it easier to find the posting rules, I've made another sticky post in this forum section. Seen here https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/917/community-posting-rules

• 348 posts
    August 17, 2018 9:26 AM EDT
    Donna said:

To make it easier to find the posting rules, I've made another sticky post in this forum section. Seen here https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/917/community-posting-rules

Thanks for this Donna. We have now edited our post and made correction as per Community Forum Posting Rules.

• 6923 posts
    August 17, 2018 10:00 AM EDT

Thank you!

• 28 posts
    August 22, 2018 9:53 AM EDT
    SocialEngineAddOns said:
    OPAS said:

We won't charge you anything to fix this problem for you Opas. Please share your website details with us at sales@socialengineaddons.com.

Exactly how are you going to do this when I don't have the Username nor Password for the database? >>

Your Database Info can be obtained from following file :

SE_DIRECTORY_PATH/application/settings/database.php

array ( 'host' => 'DB_HOST_NAME', 'username' => 'DB_USER_NAME', 'password' => 'DB_PASSWORD', 'dbname' => 'DB_NAME', 'charset' => 'UTF8', 'adapterNamespace' => 'Zend_Db_Adapter', 'port' => NULL, ),

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 28 posts
    August 22, 2018 10:05 AM EDT

SocialEngineAddOns, you said for me to share my website details with you at sales@socialengineaddons.com. I did this. I got back the following from you or your people:

============

This is Aashi here from SocialEngineAddOns. Hope you are doing well!

It seems instead of posting your response in the thread :

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/902/i-have-lost-access-to-the-admin-area

you accidentally sent your response as an email to us.

Please check this and let us know if you need any help from our end.

=========

I replied that I did not accidentally send it to them, I was following your directions, which were to send it to sales@socialengineaddons.com.

So far I remained locked out of my site. I have followed your directions and sent you all the information that you asked for, yet the response from your group is that I should not have done so. Now what?

• 348 posts
    August 23, 2018 4:07 AM EDT
    OPAS said:

SocialEngineAddOns, you said for me to share my website details with you at sales@socialengineaddons.com. I did this. I got back the following from you or your people:

============

This is Aashi here from SocialEngineAddOns. Hope you are doing well!

It seems instead of posting your response in the thread :

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/902/i-have-lost-access-to-the-admin-area

you accidentally sent your response as an email to us.

Please check this and let us know if you need any help from our end.

=========

I replied that I did not accidentally send it to them, I was following your directions, which were to send it to sales@socialengineaddons.com.

So far I remained locked out of my site. I have followed your directions and sent you all the information that you asked for, yet the response from your group is that I should not have done so. Now what?

Hi Opas,

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have faced here. Actually, you reached out to us with a different name so this confusion happened. We have now reverted back to you via email. Please check the same on your end and get back to us so that we can help you and get the issue fixed for you soon.