Friends

• 39 posts
    August 23, 2018 4:47 AM EDT

What is the maximum number of friends a user can have.

• 6923 posts
    August 23, 2018 9:45 AM EDT

I don't know of a maximum amount of friends. I do know that it's not advised to have someone as friends to everyone on the site such as an admin that is used to interact on the site. For a super admin, that account should be used just to do site maintenance and important stuff.That user could be friends to everyone if needed as they only log in when necessary. Then, a normal admin user could log in every day and interact every day. I recall in another script that I worked for prior to this one, there was a feature to make someone friends with all new users. That "feature" caused many sites to crash once they had a lot of users as it would have to grab millions of records, etc and it was too much. SE doesn't have that feature built in but I've seen some plugins for it. I wouldn't do that though, due the reasons I mentioned. Not sure if that's why you were asking.

At any rate, I don't believe we have a limit set for number of friends. Just a caution about having too many without having enough resources on the server when you have millions of members.

• 39 posts
    August 23, 2018 9:48 AM EDT

Ok thanks Donna

• 378 posts
    August 23, 2018 3:49 PM EDT

One of my accounts has over 8k friends and I do not have any issues with that many.

I found that having a large friend count was necessary to overcome areas of the site that do not allow admin's to have full power and control