Paypal subscription question

• September 6, 2018 11:21 AM EDT

Does a user have to create a paypal account to have a subscription to the service? 

https://www.screencast.com/t/BBMnyAUp7C

This video shows when paypal isnt connected to the software and when it is... How can I get the user not to have to setup a paypal account to subscribe ( on the 2nd part of signing up? )

• September 12, 2018 10:35 AM EDT

no one???

• 6923 posts
    September 12, 2018 10:43 AM EDT

https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1644477-admin-panel---billing->-gateways did you follow the tutorial when setting up your paypal account? It mentions you need a business account. Not sure if it works the way you want with one though but I do know that on my ScriptTechs when I was selling plugins I needed a business account to do that (in another script). 

• September 12, 2018 11:55 AM EDT

Donna thank you for your reply, I have setup a business account and everything and got the correct NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic) Credentials. Is there any other way to make it where the user DOES NOT HAVE TO SIGNUP TO PayPal to subscribe?

• September 12, 2018 12:51 PM EDT

Is this behavior the correct behavior or is there something else missing? Can you contact any of the software developers to find out?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:08 PM EDT

@fishingforfun

Do you see a setting for the below in Paypal?

On your Profile subtab, click on Website Payment Preferences under the Selling Preferences column, and check the yes/no box under PayPal Account Optional.

My guess is you're looking for this to be 'Yes' (paypal acct optional)?

This post was edited by gs at September 12, 2018 2:14 PM EDT
  • September 12, 2018 2:37 PM EDT

gs I already have paypal enabled when I enable it for subscriptions it makes the user create a paypal account... I dont want the user tocreate a paypal account!

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:47 PM EDT

My apologies.  I realize you don't want to force the User to create a Paypal account, but I thought that setting in Paypal was to offer the 'guest' type of option so that they could enter CC info without requiring a Paypal account.  I'm used to seeing the Paypal login along with the option to just use various credit cards.  It's the setting I used when in dev/sandbox mode to not require a Paypal account, so I thought it might work for you. 

• 6923 posts
    September 12, 2018 2:47 PM EDT

You'll need some sort of advanced payment system as the way paypal subscriptions work at paypal is the subscription is entered into the user's account at paypal with their agreements in place. Then, the user can cancel that subscription at any time. I don't know any way around that due to paypal's subscription policies. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/Subscriptions-FAQ2391 otherwise you need something like this, https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Business-Archive/Does-Subscriptions-require-Customer-to-have-PayPal-account/td-p/742013 . maybe some of the advanced payment plugins offer it.

• September 12, 2018 3:06 PM EDT

Thank you guys 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 12, 2018 3:07 PM EDT
    Donna said:

You'll need some sort of advanced payment system as the way paypal subscriptions work at paypal is the subscription is entered into the user's account at paypal with their agreements in place. Then, the user can cancel that subscription at any time. I don't know any way around that due to paypal's subscription policies. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/Subscriptions-FAQ2391 otherwise you need something like this, https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Business-Archive/Does-Subscriptions-require-Customer-to-have-PayPal-account/td-p/742013 . maybe some of the advanced payment plugins offer it.

So, based on that linked doc, this is doable.  In other words, with this ($20/mo) Paypal option, SE subscriptions will still function as they do now? 

I guess I'm trying to see how other SE Users do this because I can't imagine that thousands of ADMINs only have 2 choices: 1) Paypal Account Required; or 2) use an advanced/customized gateway system.  This just seems odd that SE is forcing Paypal accounts on all of us (unless we pay a 3rd party for a Plugin or customization).  Maybe in the past (earlier versions of SE) the other payment platform could have been used for this (I don't recall which it was)? Is this a v4.10.* thing?

This post was edited by gs at September 12, 2018 3:08 PM EDT
  • September 12, 2018 3:42 PM EDT

I'm not sure... But you see how if its not connected to SE it works the way we want it but when its connected it doesn't...

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 12, 2018 3:50 PM EDT

@fishingforfun

I guess that's why I'm confused and posted the questions hoping that @Donna will answer.  I can't see that SE only supports subscriptions via requiring an account at Paypal (I'm referring to SE out-of-the-box, not with 3PD Plugins and/or customization).  Looking forward to her reply probably tomorrow (she already puts in too many after hours time here).

• 6923 posts
    September 13, 2018 4:42 AM EDT

It's not something that is in the default script that I am aware of. However, it could be in some of those advanced gateways or a third party expert should be able to add it. SE isn't forcing stuff. There are different ways to create integrations and they've added more account types at Paypal as well as different api stuffs. The current one was made quite a while ago and works for basic subscriptions. Whether it would work for other paypal methods would require you to test it with that. I don't think it will. 

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/products/recurring-payments/ more info.

• 6923 posts
    September 13, 2018 4:43 AM EDT

As for the other gateway, 2Checkout, they stopped allowing social networks. We have no control over what gateways do. We explained back then when we removed it why we removed it.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 13, 2018 12:55 PM EDT

Ah yes, 2Checkout - that's it.

Question#01  So basically since SE only supports Paypal for subscriptions, this platform (out-of-the-box) requires Users to have a Paypal account in order to become a paying member?  IMHO, just because 2Checkout changed their terms shouldn't mean that SE no longer has a direct solution for this and expect ADMINs to pay a 3PD for a product. 

Question#02  Has SE tested Paypal (the configuration that was linked to - the $20/month option) to see if that works with SE?

• 6923 posts
    September 13, 2018 3:33 PM EDT

1. Feel free to file a feature request to add another gateway if you would like. Please check to see if there is one first.

2. As I mentioned above that I don't know if it works and to test, then no, we haven't tested with that paid option as it is not something we would have had in the past. I can imagine, as I said above, that it would require a customization to work as it most likely takes a different api call.