-Support

-Customization

-Services

Is skype chat normally included in these services etc

Would love to get Vendor Quotes.

Thanks !

• 2594 posts
    September 8, 2018 5:35 PM EDT

Depends on where they are from. Labor in other countries (I am in the US) is much cheaper than labor in the US so you will get much lower quotes overseas in most cases. When I did customizations (via my ScriptTechs company or BryZar hosting), I charged between $20 and $40 per hour depending on what was being done. Site evaluations were from $20-50 depending on what was needed. 

Skype chat - no for me. I did get on a few times but it wasn't often because I have so many responsibilities that for me Skype eats too much time. I'm sure other devs offer that though. :)

Hopefully, some of the third party experts will respond.

• gs
    • 820 posts
    September 8, 2018 9:28 PM EDT

Some pricing (customization) is listed on the 3PD's page in the MarketPlace.  Other rates are available on the 3PD's website (support and other services).  Often rates are like asking what a burger and fries costs - depends on numerous factors/variables (i.e. usually apples vs oranges, and even if all apples, many kinds, flavours, sizes, quality, etc.).  Plus then there's all the subjective stuff.

Some thoughts:

• Keep in mind that for some (many?) things an hourly rate is useless (3PD1 charges 2x what 3PD2 does, but gets the job done in less than half the time).
    • Building a long term relationship is (IMHO) more crucial than a rate.  
    • QA testing: for what purpose? what is being tested?  is there a list of steps performed?  etc.
    • What's included in Support and for how long?  What do you need support on/for (SE, 3PD Products, Hosting, etc.)  As an example, FastComet (host) handles all server stuff and SE updates with support included in the VPS Plan; I have an annual support plan with a particular 3PD who handles all their stuff and everything SE; some 3PDs I pay as needed (either few products and/or bugfree products).  
    • Product Customization: I prefer to use the 3PD who developed the Product whenever possible.  They should (hopefully) be more familiar with their own code than other Devs.  Plus some 3PDs include these customizations as part of their future product, so your customizations are automatically updated in future versions (saves money over paying a different 3PD to redo your code).
    • Skype: depends on the 3PD and your need.  I have used Skype 3-4x in over 2 yrs of dev.  I prefer to provide very detailed/thorough specs/requirements, very detailed mockups, and screenshots/video when needed.  This prevents a lot of misunderstandings (saves time, $money, and aggravation).  Much like an excellent vs. poorly written FR here in the Forum - the more detailed the better.  A picture (mockup, screenshot, video truly is worth a thousand words).
    • Just like burgers, research the vendors (3PDs) first because there may be some you want estimates from, and others you don't.

I think of 3PDs as Partners, and much like using the right mechanic familiar with my car who I trust, rates become of less concern IMHO.  I guess what I'm getting at is that there's much more to the process than rates - they are just one component of the decision (and often the least important component).

• 145 posts
    September 11, 2018 1:40 AM EDT
    Donna said:

Depends on where they are from. Labor in other countries (I am in the US) is much cheaper than labor in the US so you will get much lower quotes overseas in most cases. When I did customizations (via my ScriptTechs company or BryZar hosting), I charged between $20 and $40 per hour depending on what was being done. Site evaluations were from $20-50 depending on what was needed. 

Skype chat - no for me. I did get on a few times but it wasn't often because I have so many responsibilities that for me Skype eats too much time. I'm sure other devs offer that though. :)

Hopefully, some of the third party experts will respond.

Thanks for the feedback, Im in the US too, but vendors are in India and elsewhere. But with the Indian rupee fallen to 70 rupees to a dollar, that is very expensive - even Wipro & TCS (top Indian IT companies) dont reach anywhere near that per hour. Im looking for market fair rate in India and Other countries outside US.

• 145 posts
    September 26, 2018 3:23 PM EDT

Thanks GS.

Words of wisdom.

"I think of 3PDs as Partners.."

Its a great bird eye view perspective.

Appreciate you and all the tips/help - you provide !

• gs
    • 820 posts
    September 26, 2018 7:29 PM EDT

Yw.  Some helpful folks around here (including you).  You often post some excellent questions.