SE Default Editor Issues (Bug?)

• 201 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:10 PM EDT

Hello Super SE Team

I am unable to add a link to an image in the default editor of Rich Text Editor Block or HTML Block.  Even via source code I cannot get the it to save.  As well I can not add a Title tag in a forum post the editor also will not save.

I have reproduced this on two window laptops and an IOS device.  I went to the SE demo with the same result when attempting to add a link or a title tag atop an image in the forum editor.  As well I went to another SE site with the same result in HTML blocks.  Using source code it strips the code.  I do not have HTML disabled.

Of course its too early and limited experience for me to consider this a bug but if anyone could check there's that would be awesome.

Latest SE 
    Only Core Plugins
    SEAO Allure Theme
    Insignia (same result with Allure disbaled)

Thanks 

• 201 posts
    September 13, 2018 8:56 PM EDT
    I should have mentioned I check in 4 browsers too. Oh boy.
    • 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 4:28 AM EDT

Screenshots of what you are trying to do. Especially for the forum thing. Noting that there are some things you cannot do due to the html security stuffs and if you didn't add tags to your html allowed tags (not recommended to add tags to that btw as the allowed ones are considered safe), then on front end you won't be able to do some things.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 6:02 AM EDT

Ok I have tested. I added a rich html block to member home page and to that I added an image via the link to image.

I then clicked to Edit the source code

and added the html link to it. https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_images.asp 

I saved the block and then saved the page. Testing it, the link works fine.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 6:03 AM EDT

Now I'll try to figure out what to test for your forum issue but I'm not sure what you mean.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 6:09 AM EDT

Ok using the same process as above, I have edited an image I added to a forum post and added an alt and title tag. It works fine for me.

• 201 posts
    September 14, 2018 9:56 AM EDT

@Donna - so much work you did thank you.

I am sorry I will try to make it more clear.

Forum Posting 

• In editor add a Link to some text then add the "Title" click OK
    • Review source code and it is correct
    • Click Save
    • Go to Link no title appears then return to editor and "Title" is stripped.
    • This is reproducible on the SE Demo

On Page

/members/home 

• Add Rich Text Block in any column
    • Insert Image via URL 
    • Highlight Image
    • Click Insert/Edit Link
    • Insert link box opens up add URL - Add URL and Click OK (Nothing Happens)

or 

As I cannot save (disabled) layouts in the demo but I have reproduced this in posting a new blog posting 

• Create New Posting
    • Upload Image 
    • Highlight Image 
    • Click Insert/Edit Link
    • Add Link 
    • Click OK (Nothing Happens)

For this example if I open source code and add link it works.

Maybe highlighting the image is not the correct way to add a link to an image?

This post was edited by Miami Shade at September 14, 2018 9:57 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:21 AM EDT

That's right, you can't add a link to an image by highlighting and clicking link. Please do it the way I showed.

I will look at the link issue by adding one below. As the link already has the Title field, I'll do it that way.

SocialEngine Main

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at September 14, 2018 10:29 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:23 AM EDT

Looks like it's stripped. Probably title is not in the allowed html for forum.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:25 AM EDT

Looks like it's not advised to use title in links, https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H33.html so I'm not sure you should be doing it. Is there a specific reason for the title tag for your links?

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:29 AM EDT

More research lol. Not trying to inundate you with posts but I wanted to make sure you got good info. Mozilla also seems to say not to use titles. They say instead to put the info in the text. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Introduction_to_HTML/Creating_hyperlinks

A link title is only revealed on mouse hover, which means that people relying on keyboard controls to navigate web pages will have difficulty accessing title information. If a title's information is truly important to the usability of page, then you should present it in a manner that will be accessible to all users, for example by putting it in the regular text.

• 201 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:29 AM EDT

Thanks Donna,

I have been out of the website world for about 4 years.  I thought it was helpful in google indexing.  That was just the way I thought it was to be done to add a tooltip.  Thanks for that article looks interesting.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:31 AM EDT

You're welcome. I think it used to be handy but today, with so many on mobile, I don't think it would be good on that. Not sure. But the Mozilla article tips help. I would put it in the text.

• 201 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:33 AM EDT

Now that upwards of 75% of internet users are using mobile devices that cant access the title anyways I guess that totally make sense.