PHP Loading Issue | Mobile View

• 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:02 AM EDT

Next up.

Keep in mind I only have the latest SE and all its core plugins excluding the mobile plugin.  Still no 3rd party yet.

This cannot be replicated in SE demo so far.

Only occurring on all iPhones - not windows lap or desktop. No android to test.

On a members profile click "add to my friends" > "add friend".

After confirmation the pages reloads and this is what I see.

This occurs each and every time without exception.

In my Chrome inspector > responsive > iPhone 6/7/8 it doesn't occur.

I don't use the SE mobile plugin if that is a factor (why not in SE demo)

Any ideas?

• 6923 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:27 AM EDT

Unless you are using a responsive theme that doesn't require the mobile plugin, and as far as I know, Atlas is the only one like that, then you need to enable the mobile plugin as mobile functions won't work without except with Atlas and themes that specifically say they work without the mobile plugin.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:32 AM EDT
    @Miami Shade
    Are you using Atlas (as @Donna mentioned)?
    • 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:55 AM EDT

No Atlas - just default Insignia

@Donna sorry not sure I understand your last.

If I install & enable the SE mobile plugin it will have an impact when viewing > full site

• 6923 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:57 AM EDT

Mobile plugin is just for mobile view. It won't impact the main parts of the site. Note that "full site" view is not made for mobile unless using a responsive theme like Atlas that is specialized not to need the mobile plugin. If you want to see things working correctly on a mobile device and are using default insignia or other themes like it, you must use the mobile plugin.

• 6923 posts
    September 30, 2018 9:58 AM EDT

Or get a third party dev to customize the site to work on mobile without the mobile pluginor use a theme like Atlas but it's not so easy to customize if you don't know LESS.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2018 10:21 AM EDT
    @Miami Shade,
    Wish I could help more. I'd offer for you to take a look at my site using the excellent and highly responsive Responsive SpectroMedia Theme by SES, but since I'm using an Adv Members product, you won't be able to see if the standard SE product issue you're having is gone Maybe contact SES directly? You can look at their demo, but I don't know what theme they're using or if their own Adv Members product is running instead of SD's.

Personally, I'd stay away from using mobile and find a good responsive theme. Even using mobile here in the forum is a pain as it looks different between my phone, tablet, and desktops. You may not want to do that to your Users. Plus a highly responsive theme is easier to manage since you can just have one set of pages in LE and everything just displays. I wasted money and a lot of time on mobile before dumping it for something that worked (SpectroMedia) because I didn't realize what it did (or didn't do) - my assumptions were simply incorect.
    • 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 10:35 AM EDT

Thanks @gs I still set on trying SEAO Allure again its kinda a good fit.  Was just waiting to complete all my testing to make sure everything is good before I install theme again.  I will take a peek at the SpectroMedia.  I just didn't see the point in installing the SE Mobile if a theme is genuinely responsive.  

This post was edited by Miami Shade at September 30, 2018 10:46 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    September 30, 2018 10:41 AM EDT

Best to check with SEAO and SES. It depends on whether they coded it to be able to get away from the mobile plugin.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2018 11:00 AM EDT
    re Allure (or any responsive theme)
    What I learned is that there are levels of responsiveness (for lack of a better phrase). Some responsive themes simply combine all columns on mobile into 1 or 2 when 2 or 3 will still fit/work. Even on my old tiny Droid4 (as I am using now) SpectroMedia will display 2 columns (left is right under left, then center to the right). So I simply keep this in mind as I config pages in LE.

This is what frustrated me so greatly with responsive themes - I thought it was like being pregnant - either you are or aren't, but instead found out it's about how responsive a responsive theme is that matters. That was a very expensive lesson - both time and $.
    • 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 11:05 AM EDT

For sure I can tell Allure isn't 100 % and Insignia isn't 100% either. My odd thing is it's not occurring on the SE demo in full site mode but on mine it is.  In full site mode they are the same?  Which leads me to think its an issue on my site instead of a responsive thing.  

This post was edited by Miami Shade at September 30, 2018 11:07 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2018 11:18 AM EDT
    I don't think the freebie Insignia is considered a responsive theme, i.e. SE doesn't include a responsive theme with their PHP product - they include Mobile, and offer Atlas for sale through their store along wither other 3PD responsive themes.

As far as SE demo goes, I don't now if full site on a mobile device kicks in the mobile product or not, so if you're not using the Mobile product but SE is, that could cause a difference.
    • 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 11:29 AM EDT

Well I have attempted to install the mobile plugin just in case and discovered another unrelated issue UGH new post

• 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 1:20 PM EDT

Installed mobile - from full site view still happens.  I am using PHP 7.0.32 vs 7.1 maybe I should upgrade and see if it goes away

• 6923 posts
    September 30, 2018 4:42 PM EDT

Are you sure you aren't blocking javascript or something? The issues you show here and in the other thread seem to be specific to you for some reason. I can't see them but I will test the other issue tomorrow. This issue I only run across when the browser doesn't load stuff. I even have the same issue on other sites such as facebook, google, youtube, etc. I end up having to refresh the page on those. 

• 201 posts
    September 30, 2018 5:00 PM EDT
    Not even sure how to test for blocking JavaScript. Yes if you refresh the page it resolves. After clicking a pop up box like “add friend” or “cancel request” the script loads into that image attached above in thread.
    This post was edited by Miami Shade at September 30, 2018 5:49 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    October 1, 2018 4:53 AM EDT

So this is only in mobile and it does it with the mobile plugin enabled? We require mobile plugin to be enabled for mobile devices unless the theme is specialized not to require it.

• 6923 posts
    October 1, 2018 5:55 AM EDT

Do you have support? If so, please send a ticket so I can see this on your site as you said you can't reproduce it at our demo so it's not a browser issue as far as I can figure. Perhaps a permission issue or cache issue with your server? Check perms, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2777304-optimized-file-and-folder-permissions?b_id=14386 and recursive permission is very important.

• 201 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:01 AM EDT

I did have my hosting company walk through the permissions based on that link.

Its occuring 100% of the time on all iPhones & iPads.

After the pop up smoothbox button is selected and the iframe closes then the page reloads into the error.

Unfortunately when I test in my responsive chrome inspector it doesn't occur.

The SE demo site is exactly the same as mine as far as I can see so the question is why mine and not the demo

My best guess is its related to the mootools javascript.  With caching disabled it still occurs. 

I think I will move forward with a support subscription later today.

Thanks as always @Donna is so helpful

• 6923 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:30 AM EDT

Well on the demo the mobile is activated. On your site, and I did visit but didn't log in, there is no mobile plugin activated. I can't really test as a guest but figured to just look. I'll go test my own site hosted at BryZar but I doubt it's a hosting issue for you. Try activating the mobile plugin just for kicks and giggles.

• 6923 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:36 AM EDT

I just tested on Full Site on my iphone5c on my own site and don't get the issue you show. I'm not sure what's up on your site.

• 201 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:37 AM EDT
    I just activated the mobile plugin. It occurs in both mobile and full site. I would be happy to send you sample user logins just so you can see the issue for your self.
    • 6923 posts
    October 1, 2018 7:55 AM EDT

Will you please try clearing your browser cache in your phone? I'm not able to reproduce your issues.

• 201 posts
    October 1, 2018 2:23 PM EDT

Update:

All browsers cache cleared, off networks, no antivirus, some devices checked, here is the result.

iPhone 4 no  
    iPhone 4s no
    iPhone 5 no
    iPhone 5c no
    iPhone 6 unknown
    iPhone 7 yes (4 separate devices unrelated)
    iPhone 8 unknown
    iPhone X unknown 
    iPad basic no
    iPad Pro yes
    Galaxy A5 no
    Chrome Book no
    Android tablet no 

On my site only not the demo (the scratching head part)

I think I will move past this and consider it on the back burner to move on to other things. 

Thanks @Donna for helping out.

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2018 4:58 AM EDT

Are you using actual devices? The various emulators are ok but not the same as using an actual device. Still it's odd that it's only your site so I think it's something with cache maybe. Can you triple check the recursive permissions and that mod_sec is not enabled? Can you make sure you aren't using cloudflare extra features if using cloudflare?