ZendMail SMTP Issues

• 29 posts
    July 25, 2017 6:49 AM EDT

As of few days ago I was using a VPS on centos.

The issues were I cant get thumbnails from youtube and no mails were being delivered via my smtp provider.

Thanks to Elshara, we tried all we could to debug but no luck.

Eventually I got fed up and switched to a RECOMMENDED host, TMD.

I reinstalled the whole engine from the scratch and started afresh.

And sure enough, the video thumbnail started working with no issues at all.

However, mails are still not being sent out.

I contacted my mail provider (mailgun), they said everything is working on their end.

I used others, no luck, heck I even used gmail.

TMD says their server is optimized.

Which left me with just only one conclusion, this is a bug.

This is a fresh installation and it should work optimally.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the error message generated.

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:48 AM EDT

I use SE on my site and we use it here. We see no issues with mail. I use Sendgrid for my site SMTP and we use it here as well. I cannot classify this as a bug yet when it works here and on my site.

Please don't post screenshots of error reports. Please copy and paste and following the guidelines for posting bugs or issues, use the code button in the editor to wrap the code in proper formatting please. Then we will be able to see the full error.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 25, 2017 11:50 AM EDT
    • 29 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:53 AM EDT
    2017-07-25T13:25:05+00:00 ERR (3): exception 'Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception' with message 'Connection refused' in /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277 Stack trace: #0 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://smtp.mail...') #1 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect() #2 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail() #3 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail.php(1201): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #4 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Api/Mail.php(192): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp)) #5 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Api/Mail.php(174): Core_Api_Mail->sendRaw(Object(Zend_Mail)) #6 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/controllers/AdminMessageController.php(82): Core_Api_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #7 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Core_AdminMessageController->mailAction() #8 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('mailAction') #9 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #10 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(84): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #11 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run() #12 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/index.php(219): Engine_Application->run() #13 /home/praisefu/public_html/index.php(24): include('/home/praisefu/...') #14 {main} 2017-07-25T13:25:05+00:00 ERR (3): exception 'Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception' with message 'No connection has been established to smtp.mailgun.org' in /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:319 Stack trace: #0 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(338): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_send('RSET') #1 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(203): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->rset() #2 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail() #3 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Mail.php(1201): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #4 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Api/Mail.php(192): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp)) #5 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Api/Mail.php(174): Core_Api_Mail->sendRaw(Object(Zend_Mail)) #6 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/controllers/AdminMessageController.php(93): Core_Api_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #7 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Core_AdminMessageController->mailAction() #8 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('mailAction') #9 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #10 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(84): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #11 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run() #12 /home/praisefu/public_html/application/index.php(219): Engine_Application->run() #13 /home/praisefu/public_html/index.php(24): include('/home/praisefu/...') #14 {main}
    • 29 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:56 AM EDT

I can confirm that Mailgun credentials are working fine as I have used it somewhere else.

TMD says their port are opened and ready.

So?

Thanks for your help.

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:56 AM EDT

It is saying that the connection is refused at mailgun so a connection cannot be established. Have you tried Sendgrid? It has free version and works great.

Also, make sure you are using current version of SE.

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:58 AM EDT

You also might want to try different ports just in case that helps. 

• 29 posts
    July 25, 2017 11:58 AM EDT

Yes. I am on the current version. On a clean setup

I have used Mailgun credentials somewhere else, it was working.

I have even used gmail too.

I will try Sendgrid though.

Thanks.

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2017 12:00 PM EDT

Let us know if Sendgrid works for you and if not, check to ensure the port is not being blocked. I checked our settings here and we are using the "none" choice rather than SSL or TLS. I'll go check my site too.

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2017 12:02 PM EDT

On my site on cazaratech hosting, using Sendgrid on port 587 with authentication and TLS setting. Not having any issues.

• 29 posts
    July 25, 2017 12:04 PM EDT

Ok Donna, let me try that and get back.

Thanks.

• 629 posts
    July 26, 2017 11:22 PM EDT

One thing to note about SMTP, is that you have 3 options to choose from.

SSL TLS and None for security.

If one doesn't work, try another.

Passwords don't show when you type it in so just be aware of this. Authentication is essential regardless.

If the port is correct, be sure you are using SMTP port not Imap.

• 629 posts
    July 26, 2017 11:23 PM EDT

By the way, I use SMTP via the email accounts and it sends fine. All be it some mails don't because of the spamExperts filter name cheap has set up. but it connects fine without any problems.

• 29 posts
    July 27, 2017 10:32 AM EDT

Thanks...

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:16 AM EDT

Oh I moved to sparkpost for my smtp needs and I love it. I am one of the last people who got on the 100000k a month free email plan. The closest option is now 150000k a month for $9.95. That's still pretty decent.

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:17 AM EDT

Check to see if TMD blocks outgoing smtp mail. I had to get Name Cheap to unblock my ports.

• 7 posts
    April 12, 2020 12:21 AM EDT

I'm Trying to set up the top version of SE 5 with SMTP through AWS. My purpose is to have My site become User invitation only through the email. I have sent many invites to my alternative email account and have received nothing, But I did how ever get a response one time through my friends email, one time out of many tries and half a day later. 

My email account is through Gmail. My friends was exitexchange if that helps. 

I need this function to be reliable, so what do I do? I also want to test out the authentication methods available so I can figure out what is the best balance. Meaning I want to be able to send to my alt account many times until the system is what I want. 

I tried to send it to my wifes Email and that never got received. 

I just tried verifying my Email through AWS and now My SE invite worked. The problem is I need to have this work on unverified emails that I don't know. 

This post was edited by Devin J at April 12, 2020 11:25 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    April 13, 2020 5:08 AM EDT

It would probably have been best to start a new thread for AWS SMTP issues as this thread is so old. Here are some email tips, found in our Learning Center, https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210393/se-php-basic-email-troubleshooting and another at BryZar, https://blog.bryzar.com/socialengine-smtp-setup/ . I'm posting that one as it has some specific tips in it for better delivery.