Back up questions

• 22 posts
    July 27, 2017 1:15 AM EDT

Hello I am trying to make a back up of my website. I saw this video in CPANEL the kid says just click website backup and that does the databases as well? I try to export database in the phpmyadmin but it times out. My one database is 1450MB. So I dont need to mess around in the exporting tables if I create a backup in the cpanel? Thank you

• 22 posts
    July 27, 2017 1:19 AM EDT

Also in the bottom of the backup screen it shows your databases and if you click on one it gives you a .sql.gz file. Are these files good for a backup for database?

• 6923 posts
    July 27, 2017 5:05 AM EDT

I always backup my db via phpmyadmin using the export option and I do choose the gzipped. I suggest if the site is active to set it in maintenance mode before doing a backup to ensure a clean backup. No backup is 100% guaranteed but having the site "offline" does help to prevent corrupt backups.

The backups you show should be good but I can't guarantee it.

I also backup my site files.

• 22 posts
    July 27, 2017 11:57 AM EDT
    Donna said:

I always backup my db via phpmyadmin using the export option and I do choose the gzipped. I suggest if the site is active to set it in maintenance mode before doing a backup to ensure a clean backup. No backup is 100% guaranteed but having the site "offline" does help to prevent corrupt backups.

The site files are not backed up doing it the way the kid shows in the video?

• 22 posts
    July 27, 2017 11:58 AM EDT

Also is there a way to tell looking at the size of the .tar.gz file if its all there?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 27, 2017 12:48 PM EDT

(slightly off topic)

If you're looking for flexibility and/or automation, JetBackup is a great app ($4/mo), but it requires root (which some hosts don't provide, even if you have a cPanel type plan).  I've only been using it for a couple monhts, but wow - can't believe what it can do.  I'm finally no longer concerned about relying on the host's backup procedures.

• 6923 posts
    July 27, 2017 2:35 PM EDT
    MMAMELEE said:
    Donna said:

The site files are not backed up doing it the way the kid shows in the video?

The video shows a full backup so it should all be there. I don't use cpanel so I can't really tell you how to verify the backup. You could ask your host. 

• 22 posts
    July 27, 2017 4:21 PM EDT
    gs said:

(slightly off topic)

If you're looking for flexibility and/or automation, JetBackup is a great app ($4/mo), but it requires root (which some hosts don't provide, even if you have a cPanel type plan).  I've only been using it for a couple monhts, but wow - can't believe what it can do.  I'm finally no longer concerned about relying on the host's backup procedures.

I have root access I have 2 dedicated servers...thanks I'll look into it

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 27, 2017 4:30 PM EDT

You're welcome. 

Ah - I'm a little guy in comparison (just using a VPS plan during Development).  The only downside is that most of the JetBackup configuration/settings are only accessible from within WHM not cPanel.  I really appreciate the backup retention and compression/no-compression settings.  Enough of my rant - it is more than worth the $4 a month (which doesn't include any storage, but so what).

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:12 AM EDT

Basically, just use ftp and download everything from public_html to a directory on your computer. In addition to exporting the entire .sql file of your database periodically. If you use multiple external hard drives, preferably two, you will have everything safe and sound.