Community

Forums » Feature Requests to Experts

Language / Phrase Manager Plugin

• 25 posts
    October 28, 2018 1:18 PM EDT

Dear Experts,

A feature request of mine is for a developer to make a Language / Phrase Manager plugin that's a bit more advanced than the Language Manager in SE PHP's Admin Panel. The Language Manager unfortunately doesn't seem to be cut out for the job. I have several plugins and the Language Manager doesn't pick up the phrases I'd like to edit. 

For the purposes of explanation, let's say for I've installed a forum plugin and there's a phrase "Edit Post" on my site that I'd like to change. I open up the Language Manager and search for "Edit Post", but the Language Manager is unable to find this phrase. So what I do is add a new phrase in the Language Manager (ie. "Edit Post"), and then change it to what I want it to be (eg. "Edit Contribution"). Sometimes this will work, but oftentimes it makes things worse because there may be another plugin that has the same phrase - for example, a blog plugin. Now I go onto the Blog section of my website and notice that "Edit Post" button now says "Edit Contribution". But I never wanted to change this phrase in the Blog section of my website. I only wanted to change the phrase in the Forum section. The Language Manager in the admin panel doesn't seem to take this into consideration, and doesn't specify WHERE on the site the phrase is being changed. It currently isn't fit for purpose and I'm wondering if there are any plugins that can help me overcome this problem (or any plugins in development that can help).

Note that I've looked in the language csv files and these don't help either. At one point I made a few changes to a language csv file (nothing major) and uploaded it, only to find that all my phrase changes had been wiped out and gone back to default.

Kind regards.

• gs
    • 813 posts
    October 28, 2018 1:56 PM EDT

So are you thinking to include the Plugin and/or page URL to determine where/which to change?

• 25 posts
    October 28, 2018 2:05 PM EDT

Hi gs,

I think it may require a combination of both:

- Selecting a phrase from a list of plugins installed;

- Then selecting the URL on which this phrase is displayed.

Just having a quick think, the latter option (ie. selecting the URL) would only be suitable for static pages such as the "About Us" page that many sites have. Given the nature of social networking sites, many pages are created as new content is generated, so it probably wouldn't be a long-term solution to select the URL. Your suggestion of selecting the plugin and then the phrase within that plugin sounds like a good idea.

• 2534 posts
    October 29, 2018 5:01 AM EDT

You also need to consider hard coded phrases. If the language manager doesn't find a phrase, a lot of times it's hard coded and doesn't have the ability to be translated. The expert needs to code it to translate and include their language csv file.

• 25 posts
    October 29, 2018 6:21 AM EDT

I see, thanks for the info Donna - that's useful to know. It seems that quite a few plugins have their phrases "hard coded".

In this case, I feel a plugin that helps overcome this problem would certainly be worthwhile. Any experts up to the task? :) At least from my perspective (can't speak for anyone else), I'd be happy to pay for something that gives me control over all the phrases used on my site.

• 2534 posts
    October 29, 2018 6:39 AM EDT

but I don't think that's possible. The plugin would have to actually physically change code of your plugins. Most devs would then void any support as they should since foreign code has then been introduced to their plugins. The solution is for experts to update plugins with the phrase ability so you would want to submit bug reports to those experts for that purpose first.

• 25 posts
    October 29, 2018 7:27 AM EDT

Could an alternative solution be to include editable phrases as a criterion to achieve Certified status for their plugins? If this is not a requirement, then many developers might not see the need to do so.

This post was edited by Country at October 29, 2018 7:28 AM EDT
    • 2534 posts
    October 30, 2018 4:20 AM EDT

No we can't do that as we manually check and some plugins have hundreds of their own phrases. The best bet is on the client end to pressure experts to do that before purchasing.

• 1 posts
    October 30, 2018 2:34 PM EDT

Country,

I have the same problem, Im trying to translate my website to Spanish and there are phrases in English I cannot translate using neither 'Language Manager' or 'Layout Editor'. I texted every developer for making changes on their plugins, Im still awaiting for responses. If I can access to HTML code, It would be easy to change directly the non-translated phrases you cannot find on 'Language Manager'.

I don't know if you have this same issue, but in the responsive version, there are nothing translated, unless I change things on 'Layout Editor' only. 'Language Manager' is useless.

By the way, I tried to purchase for the Spanish Package which is on the 'Certified Products', and Its so so so bad. Less than 3k phrases translated (There're more than 6k) and really really bad translated. I had to correct them one by one, so imagine how many hours this taked...

Tell me your opinion or if you find a solution, please. I'll do the same.

• gs
    • 813 posts
    November 1, 2018 2:26 PM EDT
    Country said:

Could an alternative solution be to include editable phrases as a criterion to achieve Certified status for their plugins? If this is not a requirement, then many developers might not see the need to do so.

Makes sense since there are other reqiurements for Certified that SE can't actually test prior to Cert (ex. support response time, updates within stipulated window, etc.)

• 22 posts
    November 4, 2018 4:26 PM EST

How to easily locate occurrences hard coded ?

I have a lot of trouble to finish my translations. Once you get the code of type _ACTIVITY_ACTIONTYPE_EVENT_JOIN per example

How to insert it into the system ? In the languages manager ?

Thank you to advise us because it is a real problem.

I also noticed that entire sections of text disappeared if we are wrong in the tags.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

This post was edited by Lovea at November 4, 2018 4:27 PM EST
    • 2534 posts
    November 5, 2018 4:44 AM EST

If you search for Join Event in the language manager, it should be there. You then translate it.

• 25 posts
    November 5, 2018 6:06 AM EST

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. This seems to be quite a problem for a few of us. There are plugins that I've purchased whose phrases are grammatically incorrect and as they're hard coded, there's not much one can do except chase the developers to do something about it. Not all developers are particularly responsive as mentioned by IreneAH above.

This is quite a frustration and goes against the whole idea of having a truly customisable platform. Interesting point mentioned above by gs that there are other requirements that can't actually be tested prior to certification. I wonder if there's a way that we can encourage developers to build their plugins with the ability to change phrases via the Language Manager. If it's not a requirement for their plugins to be Certified, I can see why they might skip on that step. Is there a way that we can communicate with the developer community as a whole? eg. do many developers visit these forums? 

If resolved, I think this issue would make life easier for a lot of us and remove quite a few frustrations.

• 2534 posts
    November 5, 2018 7:40 AM EST

Yes they visit this forum. I suggest that you name each one and then point them to this thread for responses. Doing so in a constructive manner is best and will help them to improve. :)

• 22 posts
    November 6, 2018 1:19 PM EST

Can we do the work ourselves to save time? And how to ?

• 2534 posts
    November 7, 2018 6:06 AM EST

Best option is to use something like Sublime Text or Netbeans to search for the phrase in the code. Once you find it, you need to edit it but it can be complicated in some areas. If you did this you would want to do it on a development site in case it breaks.

First you would add the missing phrase in the English pack in admin. 

Then you would edit the code. An example would be:

echo $this->translate('Posted by %1$s', $this->htmlLink($owner->getHref(), $owner->getTitle()));

you can see it says 

$this->translate

and then the stuff to be translated. If you post an example of a hard coded phrase perhaps I can help with one here. You'll need to find the code as mentioned. I like Sublime Text for that as it works very well to find code.

• 22 posts
    November 7, 2018 8:35 AM EST

Thanks for your advices.

I could now do these translations without bothering people

I will test and validate a method.

Thank you so much

This post was edited by Lovea at November 7, 2018 8:36 AM EST
    • 25 posts
    November 9, 2018 4:11 PM EST

Thanks all for your comments / suggestions. As I'm not the most code-savvy of people, I'll stick with chasing developers. But will be interesting to see what we can come up with. Please keep us updated and I'll do the same from my end :)

• 148 posts
    November 12, 2018 2:44 AM EST
    Country said:

Thanks all for your comments / suggestions. As I'm not the most code-savvy of people, I'll stick with chasing developers. But will be interesting to see what we can come up with. Please keep us updated and I'll do the same from my end :)

Hi Country,

You can use our SocialEngine Certified Language Translator / Multilingual Plugin to run a multi-lingual website. 

This plugin translates whole website in two steps:

- CSV Files Translation : 

CSV files belonging to various plugins and modules on your website will be translated. You can manage all the phrases also which were missed during the translation process/upgrade process/installation process of a plugin CSV file and get them translated easily!

- Dynamic Content Translation :

Content posted by site users will get translated instantly.

To know more, please click here!

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 25 posts
    November 12, 2018 7:06 AM EST

Dear SocialEngineAddOns,

Thanks very much for your post. This seems like an appropriate plugin that would hopefully allow me to alter phrases that I can't find in the Language Manager. Could you please address the following comment by Donna (posted above on October 29, 2018 10:39 AM GMT):

"The plugin would have to actually physically change code of your plugins. Most devs would then void any support as they should since foreign code has then been introduced to their plugins."

Kind regards.

• 148 posts
    November 12, 2018 7:39 AM EST
    Country said:

Dear SocialEngineAddOns,

Thanks very much for your post. This seems like an appropriate plugin that would hopefully allow me to alter phrases that I can't find in the Language Manager. Could you please address the following comment by Donna (posted above on October 29, 2018 10:39 AM GMT):

"The plugin would have to actually physically change code of your plugins. Most devs would then void any support as they should since foreign code has then been introduced to their plugins."

Kind regards.

Hi Country,

As mentioned in our previous response, the Language Translator/Multilingual Plugin has Dynamic Content Translation feature which uses Website Google Translate to change/update the entire website page (including content being posted) to the selected language.

If you have any further queries, please reach out to us at sales@socialengineaddons.com. We would be happy to help you.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 2534 posts
    November 12, 2018 9:13 AM EST

There is a free google translate certified plugin that does that though. How is this different from the free one?

• 148 posts
    November 13, 2018 2:54 AM EST
    Donna said:

There is a free google translate certified plugin that does that though. How is this different from the free one?

Hi Donna,

The Language Translator/Multilingual Plugin is well integrated with SocialEngine's Language Manager and the required language on the website can be just selected from the footer language drop-down or based on user's locale, which will apply on the entire website.

whereas,

the Google Translate Plugin simply adds a Google Translate block (with Google Logo, as shown in the screenshot on plugin description page) to your site wherever you want it via the Layout Editor.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 2534 posts
    November 13, 2018 4:45 AM EST

It also allows google analytics so it's a little more than just the translate block but I think the OP wants to have real translations and not google so neither of them may work for what these clients want. 
    You may want to consider making something like these clients are asking for which allows manual translations of things without the translation coding. I am not sure this is possible as they've requested though.

• 148 posts
    November 13, 2018 8:57 AM EST
    Donna said:

It also allows google analytics so it's a little more than just the translate block but I think the OP wants to have real translations and not google so neither of them may work for what these clients want. 
    You may want to consider making something like these clients are asking for which allows manual translations of things without the translation coding. I am not sure this is possible as they've requested though.

Hi Donna,

We have suggested this to our development team. If possible we will include this feature also in our plugin :)

@Country in case you have any queries related to this plugin, please reach out to us at sales@socialengineaddons.com. We would be happy to help you.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns