Find and Replace CSV

• 6 posts
    August 2, 2017 7:50 AM EDT

I am looking for a help to solve a little problem that envolve CSV language editions.

Basically all information about the terms and phrase used by a plugin is stored in a CSV file that is avaliable in a folder inside the application and we all know that the actual language manager is really because sometimes you cant figure out what CSV plugin file you are editin, so the best way to ensure that you are not messing up other plugin is to edit the CSV directly.

I am trying to change the name of plugin, lets use here as an example that I want to rename the music plugin to podcast. This would be really simple search and replace, but when editing a big CSV language file there is some problems.

The CSV language is build with three columns separated by ";". In the first column we have the original term, the second the translated terms and in some cases we have a third column where we have a plural form of a phrase. If I use a search and replace in the file it will replace all occurrences of the term and I need that it replace on the occurrences in the second and third columns. I already tried some CSV editor and text editors, but couldnt figure out a way to make the program understand this rule. Someone already tried to do something like this? I have a file with around 3 thousand of phrases and is a bit bad to change each term manually.

• 6923 posts
    August 2, 2017 8:29 AM EDT

Try the free libreoffice program. Open the CSV in that and it'll be like a normal spreadsheet. Then, try translating columns b and c and ignore column a. I suggest to make a copy of the original csv in case there are any issues after translating and saving but this should work.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 2, 2017 8:29 AM EDT
    • 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:04 AM EDT

Welcome to the community, Sieg!

Use textmechanic.co find and replace tool. Just be sure to copy the entire file into the input, it can take it no problem. Then just copy it back when you are done. I suggest using a text editor for the initial file opening.