Package Manager never seems to finish extracting - Flash thing?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 2, 2017 9:21 PM EDT

I ran into this before in FireFox but the issue went away after I updated Flash (a message about updating Flash appeared in the past as well as tonight).  But tonight, after updating Flash (and closing FF; opening FF; clearing FF Cache; closing FF; opening FF and reattemping the upload) I ran into the same issue.  It never seems to finish extracting the file (no bar or percentage, just the pretty Extracting Processing rotator). 

Any suggestions on what to do?  I can't do this in Chrome at all.  FF version = 54.0.1 and as of the time of the below screenshot tonight, FF displayed that this version is Up to Date.  SE 4.09.02.

Helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by gs at August 2, 2017 10:12 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 6:07 AM EDT

This can be an issue on the server with it not allowing the extraction. Can you double check permissions? Can you check server logs?

To clarify, you are using 4.9.2? We don't have a 4.09.02 version so I want to ensure I am clear as to which version you have and are trying to upgrade to.

Note that you can also disable flash in the browser and this will fall back to a basic uploader. That might work better for you. I did it for chrome in order to be able to upload at all because chrome doesn't work with flash  now.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 3, 2017 10:04 AM EDT
    Flash was disabled which did not work so I was forced to enable.

Server permissions - had a similar issue about 2 months ago that was server issue and fixed. Checked again this time before posting here and not a server issue this time.

My apologies - yes, 4.09.02 - your 4.9.2. I have a habit of zero filling some things like dates and version numbers primarily for consistency and sorting. It also helps prevent confusion with things like 4.9.1 (4.09.01) and 4.9.10.
    • 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 11:02 AM EDT

Ok it won't work with flash in chrome. I know that. I had to disable it in chrome and firefox. It did used to work. As of August 1, it doesn't. We are working on a solution for flash.

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 11:03 AM EDT

The server issue can also be allowed upload size. I had to have my host increase mine this time. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 3, 2017 1:43 PM EDT
    Donna said:

Ok it won't work with flash in chrome. I know that. I had to disable it in chrome and firefox. It did used to work. As of August 1, it doesn't. We are working on a solution for flash.

FF Results:

Flash Disabled = error (to prevent error requires enabling of Flash)

Flash Enabled = extracting never seems to finish

Chrome:

Flash Disabled = error

Flash Enabled = extracting graph/bar seems to finish but Extracting Processing Circle/Icon keeps running (for up to 49 minutes at one point until I ended that test)

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 3, 2017 1:44 PM EDT
    Donna said:

The server issue can also be allowed upload size. I had to have my host increase mine this time. 

That's never been an issue for me.  My max upload = 100Mb.

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 2:27 PM EDT

I have flash disabled in ff and chrome and it falls back to the basic uploader. With default SE stuff, no plugins. 

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 2:28 PM EDT

Try doing the other suggestion - manually ftp the tar files.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 3, 2017 2:38 PM EDT
    Donna said:

I have flash disabled in ff and chrome and it falls back to the basic uploader. With default SE stuff, no plugins. 

I am unable to test that as I have many Plugins.  But are you suggesting in the above statement that having Plugins could interfere with this Standard SE Package Manager page (my hope is not, since that wouldn't make any sense because this is the purpose of this SE ADMINcp page - to upload any/all Plugins/Themes, not just those from SE)? 

Next time I will attempt using the .ftp method (I'll search the KB for how to do this).  Thanks for your help Donna.

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2017 4:00 PM EDT

I know of one client who had an issue due to a "core" plugin. It caused issues with uploading any plugins. I don't recall if he had to disable that plugin in order to upload or if the third party dev had to do something.

I know of one issue on ubuntu (the os my server uses) but that's a rare issue related to an ubuntu bug that has a patch workaround but if you had that issue, you wouldn't be able to access the plugin area at all. Noting that not all clients on ubuntu 16 have the issue. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 3, 2017 5:27 PM EDT
    Donna said:

I know of one client who had an issue due to a "core" plugin. It caused issues with uploading any plugins. I don't recall if he had to disable that plugin in order to upload or if the third party dev had to do something.

I know of one issue on ubuntu (the os my server uses) but that's a rare issue related to an ubuntu bug that has a patch workaround but if you had that issue, you wouldn't be able to access the plugin area at all. Noting that not all clients on ubuntu 16 have the issue. 

Thanks for the update and further explanation.  But I still must ask for clarification: This infers that a 3rd-Party product may interfere with SE Core functionality on this page of ADMINcp.  I'm trying to understand if that's correct, and if so, how it can be because I thought/expected SE to disallow such things.

This post was edited by gs at August 3, 2017 5:27 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 4, 2017 6:07 AM EDT

We don't test any plugins yet. It would be something that didn't happen before 4.9 release and was fixed we had thought as other clients were not reporting the issue again. It is possible you have a different issue as we aren't seeing this being reported in tickets, other than this post now. 

Something could interfere with admincp if it loads js or some admin functions it makes for its operation. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 4, 2017 10:56 AM EDT

==>"Something could interfere with admincp if it loads js or some admin functions it makes for its operation. "

Should I create an FR for this?  For example, the issue of Disabled Plugins interferring with SE is supposed to be fixed in 4.09.03.  Thus, since it seems Plugins may interfere with ADMINcp, could this be an FR?  What I'm getting at is there should be some way of running 'plain vanilla' SE with no interference from anything else and I assumed (incorrectly I guess) that at least ADMINcp would be 'protected' from outside interference.  Suggestions?

• 6923 posts
    August 4, 2017 11:19 AM EDT

We can't feature request this as third party products, if made to overwrite the admin functions for their unique functions can still interfere. However, you can test it. Make a development site of 4.9.2 and try that. Without any plugins. If it still won't work, then the issue is some server misconfiguration. If it does work, one of those plugins is messing things up.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 4, 2017 12:27 PM EDT

==>"We can't feature request this as third party products, if made to overwrite the admin functions for their unique functions can still interfere."

So this means that SE doesn't prevent 3rd-Party Themes/Plugins from overwriting and/or changing Core ADMINcp functionality (I don't mean by editing Core code)?

• 6923 posts
    August 4, 2017 2:31 PM EDT

We haven't started testing plugins yet for the certified marketplace. If we find any doing that, we will make sure the plugins are fixed not to do that. As we have no other reports of this issue, it doesn't seem like it's an SE issue. We had made some improvements to ensure that plugins would not interfere with admin operations. I do not know if a plugin could have circumvented that; if you have an issue with a server conflict; if it's a browser issue. 

• 6923 posts
    August 4, 2017 2:31 PM EDT

The best way to see is to make a local development site for testing. If that works fine, then try a development site on your server. 

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 3:57 AM EDT

Hey I am chiming in here as I have the exact same issue to this day.