Facebook Integration

• 303 posts
    April 2, 2019 6:22 AM EDT

My site is on a sub domain. I would like to post the link here but I have been told in the past that is not a good Idea because hackers are always lurking here. Is that still the case that you suggest we don't post our links because we will get hacked?

Anyway, I created an app in facebook exactly like I did for my forums which I can post the links all over the vbulletin forums support and no hacking but anyway, it works perfectly on the forums but on my socialengine it keeps telling me the URL is not intered in the app settings when I try to log on with facebook. Has anyone had this issue. I tried everything. I pust in my subdomain name and the site url ... anyone have this happen?

• 303 posts
    April 2, 2019 7:50 AM EDT

I found the solution and got the facebook part of it working. More complicated than other scripts. Now when I sign on to test it with a facebook account it does not let me add a photo and does not give me a message that I am being sent an activation email. What is going on there? Is that the way you designed the software to function? 

• 6923 posts
    April 2, 2019 8:00 AM EDT

Hackers can be lurking anyplace. Any site you visit. They are rampant on facebook for example. Spammers are too. In fact, I got more spam sign up on my author site once I enabled facebook than I had before I enabled it so I disabled it. Now I get maybe one per week.

For this forum, we only allow clients into the site but google does index these public pages. You can get spam from posting your site link no matter what site you post it on. Same for hackers. Even the US elections had hackers as they are everyplace. However, your site should be fine if you have it updated.

Facebook changed things and we had updated our facebook instructions last week. Did those steps not help?

• 303 posts
    April 2, 2019 4:10 PM EDT

God bless your heart. So, you are saying don't use the facebook integration feature. 

• 6923 posts
    April 3, 2019 5:30 AM EDT

It's a personal choice really. I don't use it any more. I found that they weren't screening spammers.

This doesn't mean FB connect isn't right for you and your site. It could work perfectly for your needs. You may never get spammers like I did. After all of the privacy issues with fb over the past few years, it's possible they stopped those computer cookies that monitored activity. You can read about them via a Google search and see. I haven't had time. I do know there are new privacy settings so perhaps they even made an opt out or perhaps your computer has more privacy settings to opt out of that. 

• 303 posts
    April 3, 2019 8:27 AM EDT

I don't get that many spammers and I moderate all sign ups. Years ago I got spammers but I learned that if you have required profile fields and you require and image upload along with the google recaptcha spammers are so low you can open up the site if you do it right to un moderated sign ups. I am not worried about the spammers.

I am worried about the features working. I still have bugs like the next photo not working or being backwards so it jumps to the last photo when you click next and other things like that and more. Also, I need someone that knows MSQL like the back of their hand that can tell me how to fix users one at a time if I have to. They got scrambled in an upgrade but that is off the topic of the facebook issue as is spammers. I do think people should post their links to their sites here.

The two issues:

1. Difficult to set up facebook because of some kind of redirect issue and still got an error message. ( Non of my other community scripts were this hard to set up facebook app) I am still getting and error but only  the admin of the facebook app account can see it. I took it off until I addressed this and the photo upload issue.

2. Once it is working SEphp won't let the facebook user signing up upload an image on sign up.

• 6923 posts
    April 3, 2019 9:45 AM EDT

I've double checked and this tutorial https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5112119/se-php-facebook-integration that I updated last week works for me. The only issue, as you mentioned, is the admin user. All other users work fine. My app is still on "development" mode at Facebook and hasn't gone through the approval process so I don't know if that admin issue goes away once the app is approved. As it's for my testing site, I don't send it through for approval. The process is only complicated due to Facebook's new rules as of this year. All facebook apps require the new rules. As for the SE part, all you are doing in admin is adding the fb keys so that's very easy. You would need to see facebook regarding their app creation new policies. 

I have also tested with requiring the photo upload on sign up. It worked for me but it had imported the fb photo as is normal for these SSO integrations. Perhaps you would like to try the Janrain integration instead. It has a different process for signing up but you still have to create the fb app at fb and only fb controls that part.

• March 15, 2020 1:02 PM EDT

My problem with Facebook is trying to get to the app page to get the App ID and key again. All I ever see it a link on their site to create a new developer account and when I try that it says my phone number is already validated. Does anyone know of a way to get to the page where my key resides in Facebook?

• 6923 posts
    March 16, 2020 5:03 AM EDT

It would be in your facebook account that has your developer account with them and the link should work from the admin panel and from the tutorial. https://developers.facebook.com/apps that link from the tutorial works fine for me. Perhaps you have your developer account on a different facebook user account.