Enhancement for Networks

• 154 posts
    August 7, 2017 11:22 AM EDT

https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/29

I truely believe a enhancement to Networks is needed

Networks as it stands is more pointless than a paper oven, sorry to be blunt.
    Especially when auto assigned

When you can browse members based on Male or Female, its absolutely pointless Making a Gender network.
    Auto assign profile question field question
    Male value to form Male Network, and same for Females.

there needs to be an add field
    so each network can be norrowed down to actual networks

example

Related Profile Question
    select values
    would you like to add another related profile question

having ability for example to
    Related Profile Question = Gender
    select values = Female
    would you like to add another related profile question = Yes
    Related Profile Question = Location
    select values = UK
    would you like to add another related profile question = Yes
    Related Profile Question = County
    select values = London
    would you like to add another related profile question = no

Now that right there is a real Network, Based on Females in UK, within London

some values have questions within themselves if people set them, so its a shame they are not additional but apart of the same network question

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2017 12:10 PM EDT

I apologize if I'm not quite getting this so correct me if/where I'm wrong... but it seems like you're thinking of being able to actually define what a Network is based on ADMIN-defined criteria?  If so, this is brilliant because we ADMINs should be able to define what Networks are for our site - not just based on regions of the world or some other pre-defined criteria.

• 1 posts
    August 10, 2017 1:51 PM EDT

I love the networks feature, Here's something I'd like added as well. 

I'd love to have the ability to group members by Age groups. 18-25, 20-30 and so on... At the current state I have to input Birthday month, day, year ranges and constantly adjust. Instead of a member automatically aging out when they hit 30...

I found a way to edit the code to display their age instead of birthday, but Networks doesn't have those options.

• 154 posts
    August 10, 2017 2:28 PM EDT

Yea Networks currently only seem to support one option to be a network, which makes no sense when you can browse the option.

It would be better if you can define networks, adding multipul questions into it.

And I totally agree about the age thing, rather than date of birth

• 16 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:34 AM EST

Another strange thing is that when you auto-assign networks, people are not able to leave or switch to another network. Or am i missing something?

For example:

I am building a community for motorcycle riders and i want them to be assigned automaticly to the network of the brand of motorcycle a person ownes.

That is entirely possible. But when a person sells this motorcycle and buys another brand, they should be possible to switch to another network (brand).

Am i missing a setting somewhere, or are there modules that enhance this?

In addition, i totally agree with above posts.

• 6923 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:36 AM EST

Have any of you tested with 4.10? We added a lot of improvements for networks. 

• 6923 posts
    January 30, 2018 8:40 AM EST
    Bart Verhoeven said:

Another strange thing is that when you auto-assign networks, people are not able to leave or switch to another network. Or am i missing something?

For example:

I am building a community for motorcycle riders and i want them to be assigned automaticly to the network of the brand of motorcycle a person ownes.

That is entirely possible. But when a person sells this motorcycle and buys another brand, they should be possible to switch to another network (brand).

Am i missing a setting somewhere, or are there modules that enhance this?

In addition, i totally agree with above posts.

Regarding the issue of assigning, this is how it is designed based on the description of that setting. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1649382-admin-panel---manage->-networks

Members can choose to join this network at any time - Selecting this option lets your members choose which Network they belong to on the Networks tab of their Settings page.
    Members must be assigned to this Network by an administrator -When you choose this option, members will not be able to place themselves into the Network. You'll need to manually add members to this Network from your Manage Members page.
    Members are automatically assigned to this network -Choosing this option enables members to be automatically placed into the Network based on their answer to a profile question.

You would need to file a separate feature request to change that and add an option for members to change their networks after being assigned one.

• 16 posts
    February 7, 2018 10:22 AM EST

Hello Donna,

I have read your post on the use of networks, and in my opinion there should also be a paid network option. Or networks related to subscription plans somehow.

Regards,

Bart

• 6923 posts
    February 7, 2018 11:21 AM EST
    Bart Verhoeven said:

Hello Donna,

I have read your post on the use of networks, and in my opinion there should also be a paid network option. Or networks related to subscription plans somehow.

Regards,

Bart

Please file a feature request. Please see the stickied post in this section for filing feature requests in order to provide full details for your request.