what SE versions does My SQL 5.6 and 5.7 work with?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 12, 2019 9:48 PM EDT

Presently running MySQL 5.5, but need to upgrade to 5.6 or 5.7 (won't waste tine here explaining why).  Which MySQL version(s) (5.6, 5.7, both) does each of the following SE versions support?  I ask because my host feels SE is ok, but it's possible a theme or Plugin might have an issue (which I don't understand because if a specific SE version is compatible with a MySQL version, then I thought themes/plugins compatible with that SE version would by relation be compatible with the same MySQL version, but obviously I'm no expert). ty.

4.08.12.*

4.09.04.*

4.10.03p5

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2019 5:02 AM EDT

I'm using 4.10.3p5 on local with mysql 5.7.25 without any issue. If you have plugins and themes, it's a good idea to ask those experts. 

I've not tested 4.09 on the upgraded mysql but I would guess it works. I doubt 4.8 works as it doesn't work on PHP 7 either. Best option would be a development site on local or on your hosts setup but you would end up paying for that as it would need to be on a separate server. They would need to set it up as a subdomain of your main domain to conform to licensing. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 13, 2019 12:09 PM EDT

thanks Donna.

Where may I find the requirements for 4.09 and 4.08?

In the future could requirements include more specifics, i.e. specific tested versions that work properly rather than unclear 'or newer' ?  'or newer' for PHP and MySQL for example are meaningless unless all 'newer' versions are ok to use (which is obviously not possible to know in advance).  This also could give 3PDs specific requirements/expectations.  Just a thought.

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2019 3:37 PM EDT

We don't have any legacy documentation for versions no longer supported as those versions are not recommended to run due to security fixes that were released. I would suggest to install on local and see what you can use with them but I would guess they should work in 5.7.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 13, 2019 4:08 PM EDT

ty.

• 6923 posts
    June 13, 2019 4:13 PM EDT

If you remind me Monday, I can see if I can find any info. But it's really not good to run the older versions.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 13, 2019 6:01 PM EDT

i agree, but there are times when an old install needs to be looked at locally (such as to show/prove how something worked or didn't).  imagine not being able to easily access a word or excel file from only 1-2 years ago.  there are many reasons to look back.

and looking forward, i will most likely be running the 'old' 4.10.03p5 for years to come before being able to implement Unite, due to numerous 3PD products.

for some if us, kerping up with SE versions isn't a simple thing.  besides Core, i only use 1 module, but use close to 100 by 3PDs.  so always using the latest is simply not an option

This post was edited by gs at June 13, 2019 6:46 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    August 11, 2019 8:55 PM EDT

==> If you remind me Monday, I can see if I can find any info.

although it's after mon, i hope the offer is still good

which MySQL versions work with each of the following SE versions:

4.08.12.*

4.09.04.*

4.10.03p5

ty

• 6923 posts
    August 12, 2019 6:47 AM EDT

TBH, most hosts aren't going to support older versions like that now. It would be best to be current. It's not something I have time for right now due to SEPHP and SE Unite responsibilities but you could get Mamp Pro and test it on local. I recommend that as it's the most flexible.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 12, 2019 6:54 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 12, 2019 6:54 AM EDT

Though I'm pretty sure it won't work with any 4.8 since PHP 7 won't work on that low version. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 12, 2019 1:55 PM EDT

I realize ur swamped there, but was just hoping the developer of SE had this info from previous testing, rather than me having to do so

I realize PHP7 wont work on 4.08.* but I sometimes need to go back to see how certain customizations and Plugins worked just less than 2 yrs ago.  Besides, both host and local can operate diff PHP versions concurrently if needed.

Thx anyway Donna