Community

Forums » SEU Help and Tips

What are the Social Engine rules for "next step"

• 69 posts
    June 24, 2019 1:12 PM EDT

What is the process / rules I have to follow, without getting thrown out of discussions and having my account disabled?

1. If something was marked as fixed on the stable release, what should I do if it's not fixed on my install?

2. If I have an issue on my install, and SE tests it on their install and says "it works".  Is that the end of the discussion? Is there anything I can do, or do do I just have to live with it broken?

3. If I accidentally post something in the wrong SE forum and it is deleted by the admin (rather than admin moving it to the correct category,) is it OK to try to repost it in the correct forum?

4. What do I do if there is an urgent issue, critical to operating a live site? What should I do if that is ignored?

5. What do I do, if SE removes a feature that my members were using?  (E.G. I create a paid plan, members pay for it to use features, then SE removes feature...then I'm kind of stuck issuing refunds.)

• 3835 posts
    June 24, 2019 2:11 PM EDT
    Brian said:

What is the process / rules I have to follow, without getting thrown out of discussions and having my account disabled?

I've never thrown you out of any discussions or banned your account. So far, you're doing fine. Here are the community rules, https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/2/community-rules .

1. If something was marked as fixed on the stable release, what should I do if it's not fixed on my install?

Please post a comment in the original report that it isn't fixed so we can check it. If the report was never in the bug reports in the community, please post it with some details as to how it isn't working.

2. If I have an issue on my install, and SE tests it on their install and says "it works".  Is that the end of the discussion? Is there anything I can do, or do do I just have to live with it broken?

If it works for us and not for you, it's best to come back in the ticket with more details for us to try to reproduce the issue. We need to reproduce an issue in order to fix it if there is one, or sometimes we can track down what's happening if we get more details.

3. If I accidentally post something in the wrong SE forum and it is deleted by the admin (rather than admin moving it to the correct category,) is it OK to try to repost it in the correct forum?

I don't delete anything. I move duplicate posts to an archive. Sometimes, when a post is moved you may not realize that one of your posts is moved but the other is still in the community. Search first and if you still don't find it, pm me and let me know that I mistakenly moved one. Nothing is ever deleted. 

4. What do I do if there is an urgent issue, critical to operating a live site? What should I do if that is ignored?

We haven't ignored any issues. We've responded to every ticket during work times. We can't always fix an issue right at that minute though. Such as the invoicing issues. It took time to test. We have that and the subscription issues ready for release though.

5. What do I do, if SE removes a feature that my members were using?  (E.G. I create a paid plan, members pay for it to use features, then SE removes feature...then I'm kind of stuck issuing refunds.)

We only removed features that were breaking the integrity of the code and had to be reworked. For example, we fixed subscription issues that had been created by a different fix. It's best to ask us about it in the ticket you had.

• 69 posts
    June 24, 2019 4:23 PM EDT

I've never thrown you out of any discussions or banned your account. So far, you're doing fine. Here are the community rules, https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/2/community-rules .

This was directed to the questions below (1-5), of how to move items forward rather than the general forum rules.  Since my user status "Owner" was revoked in my live site, which coincided with deleted items from my forum profile, I'm assuming I must have violated some rule, so I am trying to proceed cautiously and feel like I am tip-toeing around here.

1.Please post a comment in the original report that it isn't fixed so we can check it. If the report was never in the bug reports in the community, please post it with some details as to how it isn't working. 

How and where would you like this done? Would you prefer a system ticket or in forum? If it is a forum, what forum should I place it in if it's ruled out as a bug?

2. If it works for us and not for you, it's best to come back in the ticket with more details for us to try to reproduce the issue. We need to reproduce an issue in order to fix it if there is one, or sometimes we can track down what's happening if we get more details.

OK > so I will move these from forum to ticket system. I have a few of these, so please pardon the quantity.

3. I don't delete anything. I move duplicate posts to an archive. Sometimes, when a post is moved you may not realize that one of your posts is moved but the other is still in the community. Search first and if you still don't find it, pm me and let me know that I mistakenly moved one. Nothing is ever deleted. 

This seems strange as some of my items have been deleted, including my profile image was changed by someone other than me.  I started keeping a list of these on a separate google doc of bugs for my own reference so I can alert you if this occurs again.

4.We haven't ignored any issues. We've responded to every ticket during work times. We can't always fix an issue right at that minute though. Such as the invoicing issues. It took time to test. We have that and the subscription issues ready for release though.

Responding to a tickets are not really fixes though. If I make an urgent request, then SE responds to it to the next day, and I respond back the same day, then it takes another day for SE to respond, and by the fourth day (not counting any weekends) then I get a response that it will be added to the bug list.  I do understand that my urgencies are not your urgencies and you have more important clients.  But the reporting/fixing process is left a bit ambiguous and I had 3 week old tickets that don't get resolved, so I feel a bit helpless on my end.  Is it not possible to have a set versioning role out date that's a bit more transparent?  

5.We only removed features that were breaking the integrity of the code and had to be reworked. For example, we fixed subscription issues that had been created by a different fix. It's best to ask us about it in the ticket you had.

Which "subscription" issue are you referring too?

PS Donna: I feel like you have to deal with all of this crap and everything I send in... it seems like you try to do your best and care, but it seems like SE doesn't care (eg. lack of transparency) and needs to add some assistance for you so the support can be handled more efficiently.  Thank you for the time with this, I do appreciate all of your help.

• 3835 posts
    June 24, 2019 6:42 PM EDT

Hi Brian, 

For the image here, you had a tombstone with RIP on it. My husband and I had just found out that his daughter has lung cancer that has spread to her brain. The image when I got here was just so jarring for me, I could not bear to see it. I'm sorry I changed it without mentioning why but I hope you understand it was hard to handle at the time. 

Regarding your account. We would  never, ever do that. There was a bug in the system caused by a series of events. We had seen an issue with subscriptions and free plans that caused the issue on your site before where people couldn't log in after joining. In order to fix that, we had to make it so that a user could only be in one user group at a time. The Owner user group is a special group. When we did the change any client who had changed their owner user at around the same time or shortly before, had an issue in which the user group was removed and they were in no user group. We thought it was just the one site of another client but it appears it is your site too. Please send us a ticket and our core developer will fix that in the morning. He is on a different time zone than me and it is midnight where he is.

I feel so bad that you thought we had retaliated against you. I promise you we would never do that. 

For bugs, we like them to be in this forum in the bug area because other clients with the same bug can see it's been reported and also when it is fixed. If something isn't a bug, we can check it on your site to try to figure out whatever it is that might be happening. Or, we can answer here with tips that can help others with the same issue. Feel free to send the tickets in when you need to. You do have support with the subscription. We just don't fix bugs via support tickets as it takes a release.

Regarding bugs, as you can see from the quick fix we did for your issue and the free subscriptions, making fixes on an SaaS cloud product can cause issues which end up reverberating throughout every site as they all use the same code. From now on, we need to test more when we release fixes. We can't just do a quick patch and then end up with worse issues. If there is a critical issue that can't be fixed with a work around (I had given you a work around to not use the Member user group for free plans), then we can see what can be done on a site - within our support times. Yes, we are a small group and we are very transparent about that. We are on different time zones. Our core developer is in Sweden and so things also need to be when he's on if it's not something I can handle during my work time. 

I truly hope we can move forward from this and that you'll be happy with the Unite product. We are working very hard to make it a really great product for everyone. We just hit a few bumps with you that we are working as hard as we can to reconcile. :) 

Hope that explains everything.

Donna

• 69 posts
    June 24, 2019 8:27 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

Truly sorry about your family.  

The tombstone was meant that I was "retiring" the Trojan avatar and was a placeholder till I chose something else - I was looking for a classic zombie character as that was something you had often used in your analogies, but I will be a werewolf for now...it was also suppose to correlate with an old horror genre themed SEPHP project I had & I thought of resurrecting on SEU.  I do believe in the product, but I'm pulling my hair out with the bugs and wether to report them.

In regards to the reporting > I'm a little lost on this yet...If there was a little transparency on target dates for release dates or patch dates.  I'm not familiar with what your product cycles, is there a link that outlines this? There are a dozens of bugs, some are not so critical and  I have been reporting them.. but I'm indifferent too (eg like jumping into someone else's SEU project). Then there are the ones that are critical to me - so in my head, if I report the non-critical ones then I shoot myself in the foot as you may see these as important to the whole SEU and focus on those.

So just an FYI: rather than opening up tickets on all of them all (as indicated earlier), I made a google doc and ranked them.  I just opened one ticket that contains the most critical item for me and closed the rest of my tickets until that 1st issue is resolved.... then I can list the ones that are not urgent... then just the minor ones.  

Best Regards,

Brian

• 3835 posts
    June 25, 2019 6:52 AM EDT

Hi Brian,

Zombies lol. TBH, I love horror movies and I'm a horror writer (but my first published book was actually a children's book about a Unicorn, no horror or zombies there). The next book is a compilation with my son (grown) and is a thriller/suspense/horror book that'll be 100% for charity.  I actually hate zombie movies but loved the game Left4Dead. Go figure. lol. Love the idea of your horror site and I hope you revamp it as you thought to. My own site is an author site on SEPHP and I plan a photo site on Unite once (if) I have time. 

Regarding bugs. Please report any you find (one per report) here in our tracker. Any security related would be in tickets though as we don't want any of that in public areas due to it being a public forum. 

How we fix bugs and do releases for SE Unite:

1. We have a sprint and milestones with dates for public release.

2. In that sprint we put bugs that are impacting site functions first and then UI sort of things near the bottom of the list if they are minor sort of issues. 

3. We have a set amount of bugs we can do per MS in order to do the public release on time. 

4. If we get a more critical bug report (such as the subscription issues) we bump that new bug to the top of the list and work on that. Due to this bump, minor issues could end up bumped down to the next version.

5. Once we've tested a bug fix on locals, we move it to our stagings.

6. We test it there again.

7. Once it passes tests on stagings, we push to live and test again. We don't announce a release yet as we are still working on the MS. However, if a bug is here at the community we do mark it fixed and move it to the fixed area so that clients with the issue can know it's fixed and either live right then or will be.

8. Once we get to release date, we announce all of the fixes we've pushed to live and the release version number.

So, it's best to post bugs you find in order for them to get in our tracker and schedule as we've got everything scheduled as it comes in. 

• 69 posts
    June 25, 2019 10:17 AM EDT

Thanks Donna, this helps... even though it confirms my fears:  If I report bugs, then the Network permission issue (reported in tickets) will get "bumped".  So I will hold off, as the Networks feature is why I chose SE... so I'm kind of in a pickle till this gets straighten out.

Just an FYI - I Will post here for community: The SMTP issue I resolved by using an STMP service.  I think/assume I may have hit max emails sent via SMTP using Gsuite, I can't tell, but when I switched to a 3rd party service it resolved the issue. (I used MailGun for now, which was easy to set up and you get 10k emails per month, though SendGrid/Mandrill or Amazon might be a better suit for others.) But again, users not getting emails is the least of my troubles. :)

• 3835 posts
    June 25, 2019 12:35 PM EDT

You're welcome. FYI, the first things bumped are minor cosmetic issues. The network posting is a privacy issue so it's of higher concern than other types of bugs.

We do have an improvement coming for SMTP also. It's in testing just to be sure everything is fine with it. :)