Problem with mail setting

• 318 posts
    October 2, 2019 12:58 PM EDT

Hello,
    We have a serious problem.
    Content notifications work very well.
    However, during registration, members must validate their email, but they do not receive the email.

We have this recent problem on two different sites whereas previously everything was working properly.
    We tried in SMTP mode and we also have the problem.
    We would like to use the PHP Mail () function the time to solve the problem, but new members do not receive these mails.
    This is really urgent because no member can access the site now.
    Thank you in advance

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2019 1:17 PM EDT

PHP mail function is not recommended to use. It's always best to use SMTP as it has less chance of being blocked. We also recommend using a separate mail server or use a services like we use such as SendGrid. In most cases, your mail is being blocked by the ISP at the user end of things. Gmail, hotmail, and others are more prone to blocking emails that have not got a good reputation. This means that you have to build your mail reputation. If using PHP server mail and your server IP gets marked as spam, even accidentally, your entire server IP will get blocked and that's very bad. That's another reason to either use a service or use a separate mail server with SMTP. 

I'm afraid that we can't help much with users not receiving mail as in most cases the mail is sending but they just aren't receiving. You can check your log browser in your admin panel and check for errors in the error log and check the mail log too. It should show whatever issues you might be having. Since they get notifications, it appears like the mail is going to spam or being blocked most likely. 

Here's a tutorial that might help:

https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210393/se-php-basic-email-troubleshooting

I don't know where you host but our recommended host offers free mail servers for clients there. You might want to check to see if your host offers that too. If at BryZar already, you may want to ask about the free mail server and SMTP service as it's free too. 

• 318 posts
    October 2, 2019 1:24 PM EDT

Thanks for your advices.

But we know all your recommendations.

We use Sendinblue which worked very well for a long time.

The problem is that the mails of notifications work very well but the registration mails does not work anymore.

SMTP and PHP Function () Mail, we have the same problem.

Do you think that a server port is the cause ?

This post was edited by Lovea at October 2, 2019 1:25 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    October 2, 2019 4:50 PM EDT

I don't know. Did you check the tutorial I liked for the email tips? It has some good info for troubleshooting.

• 318 posts
    October 16, 2019 12:55 PM EDT

The problem is solved.

It was our SMTP server that was not working properly.

Finally, we are not sure. It will remain a great mystery ...

Thank you again and sorry for disturbing you.

• 6923 posts
    October 17, 2019 6:49 AM EDT

You didn't disturb meglad you got it fixed.

• February 15, 2020 6:58 PM EST

I have the same problem! I was trying to use SMTP servers from TMD Hosting but could never get them to work then switched over to SendGrid. Now people get the emails BUT they ALL go directly to SPAM. This is definitely a serious issue.

• 6923 posts
    February 16, 2020 5:29 AM EST

His issue was resolved. In order to keep the email from going to spam, you need to make sure your settings are correct at Sendgrid. Also, have your users whitelist your domain as it takes time at Sendgrid to build your reputation. Make sure you change your email templates a bit so that they don't all say the default phrases.

Here are some tips in this tutorial I wrote at my site http://kb.scripttechs.com/setting-up-sendgrid/