Community

Forums » Website Feedback

Find and Search issues here at Forum

• gs
    • 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 3:47 PM EDT

**** Item#01 **********

Find: When I use the browsers Edit->Find function, it appears/functions as usual.  Yet when I use CTRL-F I instead receive the below popup (but only in this Forum).  So CTRL-F seems to function differently only on this site/Forum.  Not a huge deal as I can still use the browsers menu options (thank goodness), I just never experienced this before on other web pages (but I only use the Find function a few times a day so I've only used it on a very small percentage of sites).

Item#01A: Why does this appear instead of the browser's Find (i.e. is this a Theme thing, because it doesn't occur in my SE Site, but I'm using a different Theme)?

Item#01B: This popup/Find doesn't work (I have searched for numerous phrases that are displayed on a page, even going so far as to copy/paste them - yet the phrase isn't found).  What am I doing wrong?

**** Item#02 **********

I simply can't find why this seldom works.  You can see in the below screenshots that many common phrases are not found (that exist in Forums, Topics, and Posts), yet a phrase such as 'Feature' is found.  So what am I doing wrong when I can't get the search to work?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, especially with my inability to Search.  Something so simple - yet I can't get it to work :(

Please move this post if I put in in the wrong Forum, but the Bug Reports I thought was for the Script, which is why I chose Website Feedback.

This post was edited by gs at August 17, 2017 6:56 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 201 posts
    August 17, 2017 3:51 PM EDT

Oh - and BTW - I realize that 'on' and 'after' are not typical searches, but I tested these because they occur much more often here than the other phrases, so there's no excuse for them not being located in Search (unless I'm doing something wrong, but it's pretty simple - enter a phrase and select where to look).

• 551 posts
    August 17, 2017 6:01 PM EDT

We can't control browser things so we'll go over the forum search and thank you for posting.

As this uses SEPHP 4.9.3, the issue could be a bug but I'll have to test it tomorrow. :)

• September 9, 2017 1:23 AM EDT

Cool. Thanks for reporting this.

• gs
    • 201 posts
    September 9, 2017 3:56 PM EDT

==>"We can't control browser things so we'll go over the forum search and thank you for posting."

RE: Browser Things: Maybe not, but when I tested this today, CTRL-F uses the browsers usual search mechanism - no longer the popup I provided in the OP.  This was the only site that I've ever experienced where CTRL-F replaced the normal mechanism with a Popup, and now the Popup is gone. 

RE: Search - has anything been found out yet?  Obviously, as time goes on (due to more content here), search will be more beneficial prior to making posts, but if Search doesn't work and we're forced to read through many pages trying to find something manually (which is what I've been stuck doing since day 1 here), clients may either stop posting or simply walk away, or post a Topic that was already addressed.

• 551 posts
    September 12, 2017 9:26 AM EDT

I've asked for a fix for this. We are working on that flash removal but perhaps we can get this issue resolved here sooner.