FFMPEG

• 103 posts
    January 29, 2020 12:42 PM EST

Hi! Hope I'm in the right section for this. With V5 cumming out soon I was wondering if FFMPEG was still a must for it.

FFMPEG is fading out as part of most of the hosting companies. They will give you instead a VPS or Dedicated option.

So has FFMPEG been replaced or is it still there.

• 6923 posts
    January 29, 2020 12:54 PM EST

It is still there for now. We can look at improvements later on.

• 6923 posts
    January 29, 2020 12:56 PM EST

BTW, VPS is the min we would recommend anyway. We don't recommend using shared hosting for a dynamic script. 

• 103 posts
    January 29, 2020 1:41 PM EST

Yes, I have that at Contabo. But my site is really slow and I asked them about that and they checked, rechecked and came back saying that it is not the server, that it is in the contents on my site. I'm just going crazy and my sites will never go live with this problem going on. I'm starting to think that some plugins are bugged.

• 6923 posts
    January 29, 2020 2:09 PM EST

Have you tried a clean development site to see what the load is before and then after installing the plugins? 

• June 22, 2021 1:37 PM EDT

Hello:

My hosting company has upgraded their servers and now they do not have a path for the ffmpeg anymore. Is there a work around for this? I have tried to leave the path blank in settings, but that does not help. Any advise?

• 6923 posts
    June 22, 2021 2:02 PM EDT

Sounds like they aren't allowing video processing. You'll need to change to a host that allows it as FFMPEG is required for video uploads. You can try other hosts such as our recommended host, BryZar or check around for some that allow video processing.

• June 22, 2021 4:44 PM EDT

This is what my hosting company said about the path:

On our new platform, FFMPEG is installed and available inside the BaseOS: Code: baseos | u2-trtzfwu9txnb@c72157.sgvps.net:~/www$ ffmpeg -h ffmpeg version 4.1.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers built with gcc 8 (GCC) This means that you can use it without any specific setup and you no longer need to specify a path to its directory like you had to on the cPanel platform. That being said, if you have a software that requires a path to FFMPEG, you may try and leave the field blank as this should work normally. In case this does not work, please provide us with step-by-step instructions on how we could recreate the issue on our end (in case the issue can be replicated), so that we could further investigate the reported issue.

Leaving the field blank did not work. Is there anything else that I could do besides getting rid of my hosting company?

• 6923 posts
    June 23, 2021 7:39 AM EDT

Let your host know our requirements are for FFMPEG path and see if they'll provide a path. You could give them your admin log in to check perhaps. 

• June 23, 2021 11:15 AM EDT

Thank you for your help.