Is it me or a bug where some events don't show unless logged in

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 8:10 AM EST

I don't know if we are doing something wrong or if it's a bug but I have a user how posted several events and they can't be seen unless you are a member logged in. We don't want that. We want anyone to see what events are available.

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 8:12 AM EST

I just logged in as a new user and the new user can't see the events either! What is going on? Please don't tell me to hire an expert.

This post was edited by whatonearth at January 31, 2020 8:19 AM EST
    • 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 8:48 AM EST

I did some more research and the widget that shows the Upcoming Events in the sidebar works and you can see the upcoming event but when you click on it then you get a page that says:

Private Page

You do not have permission to view this private page.

Go Back
    • 6923 posts
    January 31, 2020 9:24 AM EST

Which version of SEPHP? Does it do the same for you on our demo? I just checked and I can see events there. https://demo.socialengine.com/events I ask you to check there not to be mean but to see if maybe anything is blocking you from viewing them. 

If you can see them, and if you aren't using a third party product for events or user privacy, can you check the member level settings for events on your site please?

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 9:46 AM EST

I have five computers here and two networks to check from and I check from 3 different browsers and two machines and from IE, FOX and CHROME and I can check from more but this seems like a fruitless venture of checking everywhere else but right on my site where the problem is. Yes I see your Events on "your" event page. Not sure if that will be the case when you have more members and more time but for right now I see "your" events on "your" page. 

It looks like the only people who see an events on "my" events pages are the the Admins and the person who posted it. I have not logged in as the poster and I can see them. I have logged in as another admin and I can see it but new and old members and not logged in members can not see them. I can post my link or send it to you so you can see the situation. 

Does Raymond still work for you guys?  

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 9:49 AM EST

I have checked the setting on the users and the settings on the events and I can't see anything wrong there. I even set them again.

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 9:56 AM EST

Where else are user permissions at that set what people can and can not see? Is this something that is in the database?

• 6923 posts
    January 31, 2020 3:44 PM EST
    whatonearth said:

Where else are user permissions at that set what people can and can not see? Is this something that is in the database?

When you log in as a user who created the content, please try editing the content and checking the viewing permissions. I suggest testing it by saving the thing again and then see if it works. Perhaps the content permission didn't save.

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 4:08 PM EST

I tried that before and it didn't work then and I put it in dev mode and then production mode and tried it again and still not working. I tried in multiple ways including editing it just a little and saving it again and again. Looked over all the permissions again. Where else are there permissions for viewing? 

• 303 posts
    January 31, 2020 4:13 PM EST

BTW, I had plugins a long time ago that are supposed be removed for advanced video by SEAO. However, I can still see the selections for the pages in the Admin layout editing section. I never could get them to remove that. It might not be a big deal. They acted like it wasn't a big deal but they would not remove it. Very annoying. I won't buy from them again or at least until they honor removing it and promise to do the same for any plugin that I want removed. 

This post was edited by whatonearth at January 31, 2020 4:13 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    February 1, 2020 6:17 AM EST

It should be in the user privacy from the sound of what is happening but if there's a database edit that messed up the upgrade, it would need a third party to fix that. The one whose plugin messed it up. If that's the case. We don't do that in support. 

• 303 posts
    February 1, 2020 8:00 AM EST

I have asked them to remove all traces of their plugins and I was told they removed it but I don't know because no one tells me how to look at it and know. I think they said they removed it but I do see the information in my layout editor. Does that mean it's still in there even if it's not listed in the plugins?

If they won't remove all traces and I have asked them and you are letting that company continue to do business here I just don't think that is fair to customers. It's not right. I don't know for sure if it is a plug in but if it is it's not right that I asked them to remove it and the didn't.

And, if it came over from fox you need to stop selling import your site to people when it does not really work.

I only used a few plugins over the years. And, again this is a reason to never use third party plugins. If it is a plugin that caused it and messed up the database there has to be a way to reset the database and God bless it is there anyone that will tell me?

If it's tedious I don't mind doing it one entry at a time if I just know what to do. I love all my members and I will edit there database entries one by one all day, all week, all year until it's done. 

Is Ray still working with this company? He was great in the past and would give me instructions on things I could do in the phpmyadmin and it would fix like magic. 

I am thinking about having my hosting company make a back up and set it aside for me to tinker with and open it up and look at it to see what is in there and compare it to a fresh install. 

This post was edited by whatonearth at February 1, 2020 9:28 AM EST
    • 303 posts
    February 1, 2020 9:10 AM EST

I guess it's ok to ask them again to check and make sure their plugins are removed or should I wait until you have a look?

• 303 posts
    February 1, 2020 9:29 AM EST

You can determine who or what messed it up? 

• 6923 posts
    February 1, 2020 1:05 PM EST

Ray is still working here but he's CTO and super swamped with everything. I'm Project Manager over SEPHP and we just got the release out which is a relief. The tutorial I had linked once before for removing plugins might help but you would need to know what tables their plugins modified. The best (and unfortunately most time consuming) way to check that is to install a local development site on your computer and then install the plugins there. Check the database after installing each one or watch during the install to see what tables it's modifying. I believe it should give a general idea. I learned all of this stuff by myself and it does take a while. I found, through trial and error, that Mamp Pro is the absolute best thing to use for local installs as it sets up all of the server stuff for you. Give it a try and see what you think. Here's the tut for how to delete a plugin https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5144979

The other option is to experiment with a local copy of your site or one on a server but you need it set up per the license terms. In a development subfolder or subdomain.

• 303 posts
    February 1, 2020 1:13 PM EST

Ray should help me. Helping me is helping sales. I am debating getting this or xenforo for another website and I have two people asking me what software to buy not to mention the many many many companies I see when we go to trade shows plus if my site is working you get that great testimonial power my user has. I know you think I am exaggerating but i'm not. I can send you stats and a list of companies that will testify to that power. I paid for support. I need help. Ray was super and I guess still is super. 10 minutes for an old customer?