Forums » SEU Help and Tips

general question

• 201 posts
    February 15, 2020 6:48 AM EST

hei folks.
    Mikel here..

im looking through forum looking for new ideas, hints and tips, the usual chatter..

im noticing (or it could just be me over thinking things) there seems to be far more chatter about php5 and less about SEU... Im using SEU (I never have no issues or faults with seu) and iv paused my php site at v4.10. but I could update to php5 and re-establish.

Is seu less popular ? or becoming less favourable to members than php5 ?

Whats people views, id love to know.

many thanks
    mikel.

• 4802 posts
    February 15, 2020 7:11 AM EST

Hi Mikel! Nice to see you

SEU is still going well and we still have plans for it. We've been sidelined working on the importer from legacy cloud as it's so old and is not able to be updated that we really need to get those clients into Unite. Once we start releasing some of the improvements and  new apps, you'll see move activity again here. I am currently working on a new theme for Unite actually. It's called Peace and has three styles, the default, Tranquility and Joy. I might rename the last to Love. Either way, it is sending a message.  

As for SEPHP, v5 is exciting and offers a new responsive theme, improvements, other new features and free mobile apps. 

Which one you use for  your community depends on your needs. I use Unite for my macro photography hobby site and SEPHP for my author site. 

• 201 posts
    February 16, 2020 3:13 PM EST

Hei Donna..

Thanks for the reply... actually I was wondering if there was new things in the future plans for unite.. php v5 looks great also. If I remember (im probably wrong) from a long while back, the php format was going to be fazed out in time in favour of new systems and tech, is that still the case, looking at it long to very long-term view..what's the long-term future for php. only asking because I may draw up plans to re-establish the php site.

thanks Donna
    mikel.

• 4802 posts
    February 18, 2020 5:55 AM EST

Unite has plans for advanced apps so that's coming for that. 

For SEPHP, we have to look at upgrading the core and are discussing the best way to go about it. Whatever we do for it though, you can always use the current version without having to upgrade to other versions later. We still have clients on our oldest version.

• 201 posts
    February 18, 2020 9:54 AM EST

thanks Donna.

just an idea im considering.. going to stick with Unite. in the mean time maybe developers can create apps for unite. especialy a stores / marketplace..

mikel.

This post was edited by mikel at February 18, 2020 10:21 AM EST
    • 4802 posts
    February 19, 2020 5:17 AM EST

We have an advanced store app in the roadmap.

• 201 posts
    February 19, 2020 6:22 AM EST

hei Donna

an 'advanced store app' for Unite ?

that will be fantastic.

if it helps any, what I want and looking for but cant get is a marketplace that people can sell just one item and a 'buy now' button.

and if your a business you can create a store and sell multiple items.

can you remember phpfox classifieds when the 'buy now' button was added. that's the type I want and need. No creating things like the php plugins that sns, saapps now (seao) have, they are to big and not necessary. businesses I spoke to and members found them to big for what they needed and so did I to be honest.

idea is:
    To strip back overly bulky plugins to their basic purpose.

many of my php site members just used search bar at top of screen to find items to buy anyway. most members didn't use the store / marketplace features. as they just wanted to sort of (google-find) items. I did the same as it was quicker.

Starting point: Classifieds plugin (it has the categories already)

rename: classifieds to Marketplace ?
    Add options: so members can choose their requirements.
    1, Sell as a business (will already be registered as a business member on sign-up to site). for long-term selling of multiple items as a business.
    2, sell single item(s) as a private member. one-off or short term as a member (per week basis).

Site members are: Business members and private members. created when signing up to site.

this will identify to other members whether it is a business store or a private member selling items.

items / categories:
    multiple listing types so that you can sell different items (just like furniture / décor.

Payments:
    Payments Via: payment gateway
    1, direct payments to site (to help protect against scams)
    2, direct payments to seller
    3, Site owner takes a %$£ of sale price.

delivery / shipping:
    form: to add a delivery address
    form: purchase confirmation

Hope this helps. You get where im going with this ? as a starting  / planning idea.

many thanks
    mikel.

• 201 posts
    February 19, 2020 6:34 AM EST

Just an add-on to my last post.

in case other members are reading this.

this is not a review of plugins, just my experience..

SNS and Socialapps store / marketplace products are great. they are fantastic if you want to create an ebay or amazon style site. I used the socialapps.tech (seao) product for a couple of years and was fantastic. I would use it again and looking into the idea. Never used the SNS plugin but looks and feels great great.

I wanted something less bulky and stripped back to something like classifieds which would work better for a social network.

thanks
    mikel.

This is just my opinion. other members have their own experiences and preferences.

• 4802 posts
    February 19, 2020 6:48 AM EST

I can't really divulge what it includes but do you recall AE:Brian's module in fox? BTW, with Unite, you don't get that heaviness you have with installed plugins as these are SaaS based and also it uses a different coding method which is pretty fast regardless of features of apps. You can have a mouse or an elephant and it doesn't add weight or is so negligible that you can't tell.

I will say that the maps I've created for us will compete with the "big boys" out there. It'll give clients an opportunity to earn but will also give their members an opportunity as well (if an admin wants to reward content creators such as if someone reviews a product they get points).

This post was edited by Donna at February 19, 2020 6:48 AM EST
    • 201 posts
    February 20, 2020 10:48 AM EST

Hei Donna.

Yes, I still love Brians module. Still not found anyone that has beaten it or come close... it is amazing product. If it was possible to have him back his product would be even more amazing.

mikel

• 4802 posts
    February 20, 2020 10:53 AM EST
    mikel said:

Hei Donna.

Yes, I still love Brians module. Still not found anyone that has beaten it or come close... it is amazing product. If it was possible to have him back his product would be even more amazing.

mikel

Funny how someone can impact our lives isn't it? He was a friend and a wonderful person. Would do anything for anyone. Super nice. He passed way too young. I think he was in his late 20's when he passed. His brother is equally as nice.

Anyway, we do have some awesome stuff coming.

• 373 posts
    February 21, 2020 12:38 AM EST

Ooch just read this and remember when Brian passed. Was a sad day for sure