Zend_Json_Exception error when trying to look at Cover Photos

• 24 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:09 PM EST

After I upgraded from 5.0.0 to 5.0.1, I started getting the dreaded "We're sorry! ..." in the place of cover photos on user profiles.

This is the error I see in the logs:

2020-03-06T21:56:55+00:00 CRIT (2): Error Code: 7ed214 Zend_Json_Exception: Must specify JSON encoded source for decoding in /var/www/html/application/libraries/Zend/Json/Decoder.php:148 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/html/application/modules/User/controllers/CoverphotoController.php(37): Zend_Json_Decoder::decode(NULL) #1 /var/www/html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): User_CoverphotoController->getCoverPhotoAction() #2 /var/www/html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('getCoverPhotoAc...') #3 /var/www/html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #4 /var/www/html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(86): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #5 /var/www/html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run() #6 /var/www/html/application/index.php(223): Engine_Application->run() #7 /var/www/html/boot.php(47): include('/var/www/html/a...') #8 /var/www/html/index.php(24): Engine_Boot->boot() #9 {main}

Also, I did make sure to update the Albums module to 5.0.1 after the upgrade.

This post was edited by WitchGoddess at March 6, 2020 5:12 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    March 7, 2020 6:05 AM EST

Hi, are you using default Serenity theme?

What are the server specs?

When you look at our demo, does it do the same thing for you? 

• 6923 posts
    March 7, 2020 6:06 AM EST

https://demo.socialengine.com/profile/ChiefEvangelist it seems to be working fine on my profile there. 

• 6923 posts
    March 7, 2020 6:40 AM EST

We've just upgraded our community to 5.0.1 and I am not seeing this issue here. Do you see it here? If so, can you give us some details such as browser and os you use?

• 24 posts
    March 7, 2020 6:58 AM EST

Yes, I am using the Serenity theme. I did not notice this issue here or on any demos site so I figured it was something on my end.

My server specs are:

Ubuntu 18.4.4

3G ram

PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

Apache/2.4.29

mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.29

I'm not sure what other specs are relevant so please let me know.

My browser is Chrome

This post was edited by WitchGoddess at March 7, 2020 7:00 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    March 7, 2020 7:19 AM EST

Hmm. What about the banner on your site? Is it the default banner widget or any third party? Or, folder permissions may need to be checked.

• 24 posts
    March 7, 2020 7:21 AM EST

It's the default. Let me check and make sure folder permissions are correct and I'll report back if that solves it.

• 6923 posts
    March 7, 2020 7:24 AM EST

Ok thanks. One thing I saw on another site was a widget was corrupt. The issue was resolved after deleting the old widget and putting a new one on. Meaning, for this, I would also try deleting the banner widget from profiles. Clear cache fully. Add the banner widget back. Basically what I call kicking it to work. 

• 24 posts
    March 7, 2020 5:13 PM EST

Okay, so I have tried the widget trick as described and redoing the file permissions.

I have noticed it only seems to affect new profiles since the upgrade to 5.0.1, and only if they uploaded a cover photo. The cover photo seems to work fine on the app.

This post was edited by WitchGoddess at March 7, 2020 5:13 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    March 8, 2020 6:15 AM EDT

That is very odd. And on our demo, it works fine for you? You are not using Mariadb? I'll test too again. I did see in google a bug with PHP 7 and JSON decode. Perhaps it is that. Anyway, I'll test more.

• 6923 posts
    March 8, 2020 6:18 AM EDT

I just tried at our staging and had no issue. Now I wonder what size cover photo and whether they had any issues while uploading.

• 24 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:35 AM EDT

As far as I know, the upload worked fine as I can see it on mobile. And no, I'm not using MariaDB.

I did notice something, in the database table for the users, in the coverphotoparams column, the values for those users were "NULL". If I replaced them with "{"top":0,"left":0}" as I saw in some others then there was no error. I am starting to suspect there must be some issue with uploading them on mobile, but that would need further testing.

• 6923 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:41 AM EDT

Thanks for your help. You always give good info on testing. I'll try from mobile. 

• 6923 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:47 AM EDT

Tried from iPhone 11 and it seemed to work. I even tried not "saving" the cover but it automatically had saved it. This one seems hard to reproduce for me.Sorry.