Currency Support: Rial and Toman

• 36 posts
    August 30, 2017 2:56 PM EDT

Hi

We have purchased a SocialEngine PHP package and we need other currencies than those available in Social Engine. Most of the currencies in provided are not even used in our website at all. Currently, there are no Iranian Rial or Iranian Toman (two currencies used in Iran) in the list.

Will you please add these two currencies to SocialEngine or can you guide me how I can modify SocialEngine PHP's code to add these two currencies by myself?

• 6923 posts
    August 30, 2017 5:27 PM EDT

Are those both supported by Paypal or 2Checkout? I ask because from what I recall (and I could be wrong) the list is from the supported currencies of both of those. 

• 36 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:13 PM EDT
    Hi Donna.
    I don't think these two currencies are supported by PayPal. That's because i didn't see these currency codes on PayPal's website. That said, what can I we do to add these two currencies to our Social Engine website?
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    August 31, 2017 12:32 AM EDT

SEAO offers this --> https://www.socialengineaddons.com/socialengine-multi-currency-currency-switcher-plugin

You may have to contact them to find out about those specific currencies since their ADMIN Demo doesn't include this Plugin, and the description page doesn't list supported currencies.  

If you are correct that Paypal doesn't support those currencies you may also need to use this by SEAO as well --> https://www.socialengineaddons.com/advanced-payment-gateways-plugin

• 36 posts
    August 31, 2017 1:15 AM EDT
    @gs
    No I think that plug-in does not support Rial and Toman because their support referred me to Social Engine because they said "currencies are at the core of SE and you have to contact them".
    • 36 posts
    August 31, 2017 1:18 AM EDT
    So does anyone know of a way I can add my new currencies in code or replace one or two of the existing ones without affecting the system's functionality?
    • 6923 posts
    August 31, 2017 5:13 AM EDT

It would be a core edit. Those are overwritten on upgrades so you need to reapply them if that area is worked on. The currencies now are the Paypal and 2checkout according to the code I saw when someone asked for another one to be added. 

I found them in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/phpv4/application/libraries/Engine/Payment/Gateway/PayPal.php and there's probably one in there for 2checkout. We don't recommend modifying source files and are not responsible for any issues if you decide to. We recommend getting a third party expert to make a plugin for you or a customization.

• 36 posts
    September 2, 2017 4:47 AM EDT

Is there a way to change the way USD is displayed i.e. `$` to another thing e.g. "ریال". I want to keep my default currency in social engine settings on USD and then display it another way on the website. Is that possible? If yes, which file should I modify? 

• 6923 posts
    September 2, 2017 3:10 PM EDT

from what I am seeing, the currency symbols are in the language xml file.

application/libraries/Zend/Locale/Data/  check there for the language xml file.

This file has the ISO for each one application/libraries/Zend/Locale/Data/supplementalData.xml

There are a lot of files that are returning the USD.

Looking further, I found it for English language in application/libraries/Zend/Locale/Data/en.xml

around lines 4604 to 4609 and it did work to change the symbol. Perhaps this will point you in the right direction to add one. I'm not sure. However, source edits are overwritten on upgrades like I mentioned. 

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:30 AM EDT

This post is extremely informative!

I wish to see multiple currencies in social engine one day.