Which files to purge?

• 318 posts
    March 27, 2020 3:08 PM EDT

Hello.

Which files can be purged on the system without risk of corruption.

(Temporary? Cache? Etc ...)

Our site is currently practically empty but at a significant weight.

Thank you in advance

• 6923 posts
    March 28, 2020 5:07 AM EDT

In your admin panel, you can clear cache, and also clear the logs via the log browser. That's the safer way to purge things. There is also a setting to delete the logs automatically once they reach a certain size. You may want to do that but also check your logs and get any issues resolved so that they don't grow big.

Note that plugins can cause a lot of weight. Check your plugins. Are there any you don't need or that aren't optimized? 

One thing I've seen too many do is keep backups on the server. Never do that. Download backups and delete from server. It is so unsafe to store backups on your server. BryZar has separate server for free offsite daily backups. Perhaps your host offers the same.

• 318 posts
    March 29, 2020 12:04 PM EDT

Thanks Donna.

You are right. We have our own separate servers for production and backups. We are very vigilant with security.

On the other hand, there remain the archives of Addons installed in directories.

I was wondering if we could delete them.

And above all it was so as not to make a mistake.

Better a person who knows than ten who seek.  smile.png

• 6923 posts
    March 30, 2020 5:28 AM EDT

What I found for my own site is, if I don't know whether deleting is safe, I move to a folder that I set up for things I want to delete. I then clear cache and see how the site works. I don't delete those files until I know for sure the site works fine. You could even zip and download those files and save on your computer in case you have issues later on. 

• 318 posts
    April 1, 2020 10:45 AM EDT

Ok thank you Donna.

I checked the SE purge system and it is very satisfactory.

The cleaning is very complete.

Thank you !

• 6923 posts
    April 2, 2020 5:21 AM EDT

You're welcome!