Forums » SEPHP Feature Requests

[A] Do Not Sell My Personal Information Box Improvement

• 83 posts
    May 14, 2020 6:27 AM EDT

This feature request is for the 'Do not sell my personal information box' to be turned in to w widget so that it can be added or removed to the global site footer from the layout manager.

At the moment, it is hard coded in to the application/modules/Core/widgets/menu-footer.tpl at lines 48-66, and can only be removed with a source edit (I comment out the whole section with <!-- -->

• 4694 posts
    May 14, 2020 6:33 AM EDT

Yeah this is a requirement for any users from California. If you get any members from there or any traffic, you'll be in a huge mess without it. But we should make it a setting to enable/disable and let the clients deal with the legal issues from not having it.

• 83 posts
    May 14, 2020 7:51 AM EDT

It's not a requirement for it to be shown on 'every page', only the homepage.

Also, it's only required if 

[your] businesses [has] over $25 million in revenue, those handling information from 50,000 consumers, or deriving 50%+ annual revenue from selling consumer personal information.

so it's probably not necessary for the majority of Social Engine users. Seeing this box would make my users worry that I am about to start selling their personal information.

I would make a request for it to be only shown to California residents, but that would involve some IP2Location geolocation magic.

This post was edited by abuk at May 14, 2020 7:54 AM EDT
    • 4694 posts
    May 14, 2020 8:14 AM EDT

Yeah if we did IP it could cause other issues as users tend to use proxy stuff. I've added this to the list to add a setting to disable it. We need to improve things for various regional/international/ stuff for privacy once we get our next big release out. There is so much that is required these days, it makes it rough to be a website owner.