Activate Redis Cache doesn´t work

• 4 posts
    June 30, 2020 5:57 AM EDT

Hello

My hoster has installed Redis Cache and I can activate this.

But if I do, I get the Error Message:

---------------------------------------

We're sorry!

Please try after some time.

We are currently experiencing some technical issues. Please try again or report this to your site administrator using the contact form.

Error Code: 6b1730

Errorlog:

#1 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Cache.php(153): Engine_Cache_Backend_Redis->__construct(Array)
    #2 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/modules/Core/controllers/AdminSettingsController.php(414): Zend_Cache::_makeBackend('Engine_Cache_Ba...', Array, true)
    #3 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Core_AdminSettingsController->performanceAction()
    #4 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('performanceActi...')
    #5 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
    #6 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(86): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
    #7 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run()
    #8 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/application/index.php(223): Engine_Application->run()
    #9 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/boot.php(47): include('/home/rename/d...')
    #10 /home/rename/domains/domainname/public_html/index.php(24): Engine_Boot->boot()
    #11 {main}

• 6923 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:16 AM EDT

Please always state the version of SEPHP that you are on and the PHP version on the server. 

• 4 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:41 AM EDT

The New SEPHP 5.1.0p1 Version

PHP Version 7.2.31

This post was edited by David at June 30, 2020 6:41 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:44 AM EDT

It is working at our demo. https://demo.socialengine.com/admin/core/settings/performance . Did you double check with the host? 

• 4 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:55 AM EDT

Yes try all combinations.

This post was edited by David at June 30, 2020 6:56 AM EDT
    • 265 posts
    June 30, 2020 7:08 AM EDT

I use SocialEngine 5.1, PHP 7.2, Redis 5.1 and php-redis and it all works as it is supposed to.

You may need to check with your host as to whether or not you need to use a different IP address, port or password, etc. By default, Redis does not require authentication but in a shared hosting environment, that would be dangerous.

In case you are sitting there with a site that doesn't work at all, and want to know how to get back in:

Delete /application/settings/cache.php

Copy /application/settings/cache.sample.php to /application/settings/cache.php

This will use the File Cache again.

• 6923 posts
    June 30, 2020 7:13 AM EDT

Thank you @abuk! I wish we had thumbs up here. I miss that so much. We do have the tutorial that shows how to manually set the cache back but it is great that you put it here too. 

• 4 posts
    June 30, 2020 7:28 AM EDT

Thanks abuk

I haven´t the problem that the site not works after i try to activate redis. I get the error and if i go back Redis is not activated.

• 265 posts
    June 30, 2020 2:51 PM EDT

There is not really anything that can be seen on that error message. You will likely need to get support from your host and have them check that they have given you the right settings to use with Redis.

• 73 posts
    July 3, 2020 5:56 AM EDT
    abuk said:

I use SocialEngine 5.1, PHP 7.2, Redis 5.1 and php-redis and it all works as it is supposed to.

I have failed a lot in setting up the server. SE seems to be very different from wordpress.
    Mod_php is not intentionally supported since Apache version 2.2
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/httpd/php

php-fpm is recommended.
    se does not officially support php-fpm. It is time for me to make a choice.
    I was curious about your server environment. You are wondering if you are using php-fpm.

Happy SE

This post was edited by Lee KiWon at July 3, 2020 5:58 AM EDT
    • 265 posts
    July 4, 2020 10:31 AM EDT

I was curious about your server environment. You are wondering if you are using php-fpm.

I do not use php-fpm. OpenLiteSpeed includes the LSAPI interface which allows PHP to be launched / managed from within OpenLiteSpeed. The OpenLiteSpeed package repositories also contain pre-compiled LSAPI-compatible binaries for PHP and the most popular modules (including all those necessary for running SocialEngine).

• 73 posts
    July 4, 2020 12:28 PM EDT

I feel that my worries are solved a lot and the pain disappears.
    I will try it too. Apache is too heavy.
    Thank you very much.

• 265 posts
    July 5, 2020 5:02 PM EDT
    Lee KiWon said:

I feel that my worries are solved a lot and the pain disappears.
    I will try it too. Apache is too heavy.
    Thank you very much.

Although Apache is "heavy", it is the recommended way to host this script and support is limited for non-standard methods of hosting. It does not just 'work', it takes a bit of customisation as well, and I think you may not be experienced enough to debug things when they go wrong.