Forums » Feature Requests to Experts

Video in a (iFrame) popup?

• 43 posts
    July 15, 2020 3:37 PM EDT

I am wondering if there is a possibility to show a video in a small popup witch is hovering over the website so you can still scroll true the site while looking at the video. So for example now you can make twitch a small box hovering on your mobile while you can continue what you were doing. Im looking for this option for youtube videos added on my site.

Anybody ever looked in to this?

• 5067 posts
    July 15, 2020 7:24 PM EDT

Do you have any sort of screenshot that you can share as an example? Please ensure it is "family/work friendly" as we don't allow adult images. I tend to try and stay away from iframes on my sites so it isn't something I've put but perhaps with a screenshot, someone else can assist.

• 43 posts
    July 16, 2020 3:30 AM EDT

I don't have a screenshot as i did not find this future yet. It is basically the picture in picture mode that is provided by certain apps these days.

As example you can check the following official Chrome explanation about what this is. Its super good to have when people are scrolling your site (on mobile) and want to see a youtube video in the mean time.

https://www.guidingtech.com/view-youtube-picture-in-picture-mode-chrome/

So i have links on my pages to youtube video's and wanted to know if i could get this picture in picture function on the website also.

• 5067 posts
    July 16, 2020 4:36 AM EDT

It says people can do that in the browser too. I wouldn't as I can't focus that way but maybe some would like it. Do you want me to move this to feature requests for experts section? Did you check third party plugins in our store to see if they have that feature?

• 43 posts
    July 16, 2020 4:53 AM EDT

I checked all the plugins before i made the post and nothing came up so far.

Sure, can you move it. Thank you.

• 163 posts
    July 18, 2020 2:50 PM EDT

I don't actually think this is possible, as the iframe content would be controlled by YouTube and the relevent API call is not currently available.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60877157/youtube-iframe-picture-in-picture-mode

Of course, such a feature would be implementable using local videos (as opposed to YouTube embeds).