SocialEngine PHP Video Plugin 5.2.1p1 Update Released

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2020 8:25 AM EDT

We've fixed the issue with YouTube videos that was impacting sites that had the API at YouTube set to secure by either IP or by URL. For this fix, all you need to download is the Video plugin 5.2.1p1 and upgrade just that if you are already on 5.2.1. No need to run a full upgrade if you are on 5.2.1. If you are below that version, please follow the full upgrade steps. Download is in your client account.

For this fix, only one file is changed:

Video 5.2.1p1

• application/modules/Video/controllers/IndexController.php
      • YouTube issue Fixed

Our demo is updated and tested. YouTube videos are working fine there. 

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 29, 2020 8:55 AM EDT
    • 33 posts
    July 29, 2020 11:51 AM EDT

Donna,

Thanks so much for the update and your attention to this issue.

We are not on 5.21 yet.

Three questions:

1. Does Bryzar make a backup of our server and files every day or do we need to order backup services separately?

2. Assuming we have a backup of our current system, I was just going to go in and do the upgrade myself.

However, the instructions say that all Plugins will need to be upgraded as well. We have about 40 Plugins installed - mostly from SNS and are very new installs. Would we need to reinstall these plugins after we upgrade to 5.21?

3. I think I saw a price of $30 for Bryzar to perform the system upgrade to 5.21. That's very reasonable. If I put an order in for that, how long would it take, i.e. are there other SE clients in the queue that are ahead of us?

Best,

Bernard Douthit

Politea

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2020 12:12 PM EDT

As this thread is only for the upgrade, please ask hosting questions in the SEPHP help and tips section. For questions directed to BryZar about their services, please ask in a ticket to their support. We don't want to get this thread off track. Hope you understand.

• 474 posts
    July 29, 2020 12:35 PM EDT

Hello Bernard D

Mikel here. hope you are well.

First check that other 3rd party devs plugins on your site are all compatible with SE v5.2.1 . or atleast v5 compatible. if they are, then that is good. if they are not ( such as v4 version compatible )then it may be better to wait until they are all compatible with v5. otherwise it MAY create some issues.

I use Bryzar for my server host..so i could help you here (if donna dont mind)

Backups: I think bryzar do site backups every couple of days or as per request for a backup to be created.

Upgrading you site is simple as falling over..
    Step 1: go to your SE Site Dashboard.
    Step 2: Look in your DOWNLOADS list for [ social engine PHP Upgrade 5.2.1 ]
    Step 3: see the [ ... ] on the right hand side of 5.2.1.
    Step 4: click the [ ... ] and DOWNLOAD the file to your computer. Download file/ section

Step 5: On your site Admin dashboard
    Step 6: Go into > manager
    Step 7: Look for > Manage Plugins
    step 8: Look for > Install new Packages (at the top of your plugin list in blue writing) and click on it.
    Step 9: You will see ( ADD KNEW PACKAGES ) in blue writing. Click on it.
    Step 10: you will be prompted to choose a file. 
    Step 11: Go into your computers download file where you placed the new version v5.2.1 . Chose this file. It should be named: socialengine-php-upgrade_5.2.1
    Step 12: you will then be taken to the page where it will start downloading the new v.5.2.1 file.

It will  /  may scan for viruses, this is ok.  sometimes it can take a moment or two to download the file but that is normal.

When this is done you will be prompted to accept and proceed at several places. just keep accepting.

In less than5 minutes your site will be upgraded to v5.2.1.p1 latest Version.

step 12A: got your > settings > performance and caching. Clear your cache.

HURRAY... you are now updated

You do not need to update your other plugins from any other developer.
    Hope this helps.
    mikel.

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2020 2:05 PM EDT

Thank you @Mikel! That was a great post. I do recommend always having third party plugins on the same version (v4 for v5 or v5 for v5) and not mixing versions. I mean major versions. Any time you upgrade, check for updated plugins first.As for BryZar, yes free offsite backups are part of their many free things they have for clients. You can read more at their kb or main site too. 

Hopefully, this plugin update goes fine for everyone. If anyone is using a third party video plugin, please check with that expert before doing this update.

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2020 3:43 PM EDT

I just discovered that the video file was not being downloaded properly. Thanks to the client who reported that to me. I have fixed the issue. If anyone already downloaded the video plugin, please download it again. It will still update if you already tried before. Sorry for the mistake.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 29, 2020 3:43 PM EDT
    • 33 posts
    July 29, 2020 5:37 PM EDT

Mikel,

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

It is really helpful.

Best,

Bernard

• 474 posts
    August 5, 2020 2:47 PM EDT

Hello Donna.

We are not sure if this is a return of the issue of Youtube not uploading videos. We know an updated Video Plugin was released V5.2.1p1 and our site is all new including SE Video Plugin. We have tried uploading Youtube Video via the 'External Source' and every other way, however the reply message says 'no video can be found with that address'. yet the address is copied from youtube video itself.

Thankyou Donna
    mikel.

• 6923 posts
    August 6, 2020 4:34 AM EDT

We prefer for people not to post issues in the release threads as that doesn't help other clients searching for the same issue. Did you ensure to add your Youtube api key? The video tutorial shows how. Also, did you test at our demo? If you have the same issue at our demo, and did add the youtube api key, please post a new thread for the issue in our bug tracker.

• 6923 posts
    August 6, 2020 8:40 AM EDT

I forgot to add the link to the video plugin tutorial. Click this link for video tut

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 6, 2020 8:40 AM EDT
    • 474 posts
    August 6, 2020 9:28 AM EDT

hei Donna

mikel here.

Sorry, my fault...

Thanks for the info. ive just resolved this now. All is good again.

thanks
    mikel.