Restricting new users from selecting their profile type

• 33 posts
    July 29, 2020 5:45 PM EDT

Good Afternoon SE Community,

We are still in the pilot phase with our new SE platform, and one thing I have noticed is that when users sign up they can choose their profile type, i.e. Regular Member, Moderator, etc.

I had created some different profile types and have since narrowed them down to 2, but users are still being asked to choose.

My hope is that this is just a setting I can change and that I didn't notice.

Thanks,
    Bernard

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2020 7:24 PM EDT

I don't recall a setting right now for this. I know the profile types are meant to help categorize members better so that you can have specific questions/answers for each profile type. You could use CSS to hide the profile type selection on the sign up page but as it is a required field, I don't think that will work. I can move this to feature requests if you want. To add the ability to disable profile type on the registration, set some as not required, and set some as hidden types perhaps. Such as Moderator. That is one that should only be assigned by admin. I thought I had seen a setting for this, maybe I'm too tired atm to think of it so I'll come back to this tomorrow.

• 6923 posts
    July 30, 2020 6:12 AM EDT

There is no setting for this. We do plan on improvements after v6 but would you like me to move this to feature requests?

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 1, 2020 10:27 AM EDT
    • 474 posts
    July 30, 2020 12:14 PM EDT

Hei Bernard..

The issue you have is not an error or lack of a feature.

If like me on my site i have several members. Regular members, Business members ( you would have seen this on my site when you joined as you chose the regular member option ) and the sites admin, security teams.

im not sure if you already have done this but: have you created Plans or Subscription levels. this will help you create the sign up membership that the members can choose.
    When you create these. your problem will be solved. 

Plans and subscriptions and member levels (and admin will be assigned to its own member level)should be created either as $free plans or $paid plans and this is what members choose.
    Admin staff will be left off the sign up options.

Lookup these in learning centre.

Member levels: 

Payment Gateways:  

Subscriptions:  

Plans:  

mikel. 

This post was edited by Mikel at July 30, 2020 12:33 PM EDT
    • 33 posts
    August 2, 2020 3:03 PM EDT

Donna - it would be great if this could be moved to a feature request.

Do I need to submit a ticket?

Basically, it would be great if we could have the following options:

1. Allow users to choose profile type on account creation (y/n)?

2. Or - Users may be allowed to choose from the following profile types upon login (default, business, etc.)

3. Default profile type for members to be assigned upon (Default User / Regular Member, etc.).

I have been thinking about creating a residential profile type that would work somewhat the same way that Nextdoor does, but classify people according to their address vs. their name. In other words, it would be a group profile. I think the system already has a group profile option, i.e. for Rock Bands, etc. However, I'm not sure where to find that.

In any case, having this as a feature - i.e. so that we don't allow users to chose profile types would be great.

Mikel - thanks for your help as well.

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2020 4:23 AM EDT

I've moved it to feature requests but it would be great if it could be fleshed out better. Noting that we allow one request per feature request.