SE Classifieds

• 474 posts
    August 7, 2020 9:46 AM EDT

hei Donna

i got a planned project for my site where i only need several SE Classifieds plugins so i just have a couple of questions..

I already have 1 SE Classifieds plugin for selling and buying ( Oh and i have resolved this issue about 'BUY Now tab' ) thanks for your help with that. Il drop you a 'how i did it' info message later in case others want to do the same thing.

Idea: I want to create a Jobs Board, Travel Board (for hotels and such like), Properties (for rent or sale)

Proposal: I have been looking at Classifieds plugin to see if this is viable and ok to alter questions and Labels and categories, and the only thing i need to do is alter / ask the right questions for each adaption of the classifieds plugin to make it work.
    This will make my site work fantastic with SE Theme without the need for PWAs or APPs and less bulky with large 3rd party plugins and a reliance on 3rd party Devs.

The Converted SE Classifieds plugins are clean, small and simple and generate less Fetch and upload queries on the server. And im giving my members something small and simple to use without me having to strip back large 3rd party plugins due to unused features.

So Anyway, back to my questions.
    1, Can i run several Classifieds Plugins on the one site?

2, is it possible to Change the name of each SE Classifieds plugin so that it is a different plugin name on my Admins 'packages and plugins' ?.
    I think it could lead to confusion if all the SE classifieds plugins had the same name of Classifieds. and not Classifieds, Jobs/employment, Properties, Travel. i can change the name in my menu settings for my main menu with no problem.

3, SE Classifieds Updates, if i have several SE Classifieds plugins with different names, And i Update SE Classifieds, would it update ALL other renamed SE Classifieds plugins at the same time ?.

Thanks
    Mikel

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2020 9:52 AM EDT

Wowza. Lots here lol. Good ideas. Easy to implement? No. Wish it were. You would need time to go in the classified plugin and change it to the new name for each instance you want. Making yourself two new plugins basically. For authorization to do that, you need permission from Kyle in a ticket to the sales department. 

I suggest using Sublime or PHPStorm for doing this. Testing it on a development site before each one is put on the live. You would need to update each of your new plugins when any update is released to the core and to the classified just like these other devs have to do. Your two new plugins would actually be a third party plugin but made by you. They could not be distributed to others as they would be clones of the SE ones though.

Good luck with it!

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2020 9:53 AM EDT

I can let you know about what's coming in improvements if you ask me in pm

• 474 posts
    August 7, 2020 10:05 AM EDT

Hei Donna..

So just as im clear..
    Answer to Q1, No ? but could still run several classifieds on one site if dont change Classifieds plugin name.
    Answer to Q2, No, even if it just changing the name, but not the functions or features.
    Answer to Q3, Yes / No ?

Kyle can keep my ideas, adapt and improve on them, i dont mind.

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2020 10:10 AM EDT

You can only run one classified plugin on the site. It won't install more than one instance. Unless you do the below things and change the names.

2. To change the name requires coding. You can do it with permission from Kyle if you get permission. 

3. You need to manually update each one when new updates come.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at August 7, 2020 10:11 AM EDT
    • 474 posts
    August 7, 2020 10:30 AM EDT

Ok. Thats 

Sounds like a quick job i think just to change a name in coding, but not the functions. the functions are great as they are.

Il ask kyle if he could do that.
    As far as updating goes, i dont see much updating is required that often anyway, unless it to work with a new v6+

thanks Donna

mikel.