Locale Settings

• 318 posts
    August 24, 2020 12:08 PM EDT

Hello, I have a very specific problem.
    My site is recognized as an English site and not as a French site
    I noticed this because the site "https://www.dealerdetemps.com" refuses my url claiming that the site is not French but English.
    However, the Locale setting section is well configured. Have you ever encountered this problem?

Thank you in advance

• 6923 posts
    August 24, 2020 4:18 PM EDT

Is the locale set to automatic? If so, then their browser language setting might be English. Ask them for clarification and show them how to change the language on your site.

• 318 posts
    August 25, 2020 5:10 AM EDT

Hello Donna.

No, it is set to "French", because it is the native language of the site is French.

Should I leave it on automatic?

I do not understand very well...

• 6923 posts
    August 25, 2020 5:12 AM EDT

What is the default language in the language manager? Did they even try to change the language when they visited? If not, you should let them know that it has a language selector.

• 318 posts
    August 25, 2020 5:22 AM EDT

In fact, he does not manually visit the site.

It is a robot which visits the site automatically and which returns the error: The site is not a French site, but an English site.

They only accept French-speaking sites on their platform.

This could also explain the big SEO concerns that we encounter. If Google considers the site to be English when it is a French site, that's a huge problem.

This post was edited by Lovea at August 25, 2020 5:24 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    August 25, 2020 5:28 AM EDT
    Donna said:

What is the default language in the language manager?

• 318 posts
    August 25, 2020 5:58 AM EDT

French language

• 6923 posts
    August 25, 2020 6:28 AM EDT

I am not sure then. If it is set to default French language in the admin panel language manager and also the locale is French, it should be showing in French. Unless you have content that is in English. 

• 318 posts
    August 25, 2020 10:27 AM EDT

And yes, that's where my problem is.

The site is fully translated and well in French.

Is there a tool to verify this?

Do you know one?

• 6923 posts
    August 25, 2020 10:38 AM EDT

I am not sure. Do you have plugins from any experts? If so, maybe they would know more about this language issue as I've not heard of this before. It sounds odd that the site is fully in French without any English content and still the bots are showing it in English. Maybe try a fetch with google bots in your webmaster google tools?

• 318 posts
    August 25, 2020 10:41 AM EDT

Thank you.

I was thinking the same. Surely a plugins installed.

I will make a request to SEA.

Thank you for your answers and your time.

Have a good day !