How to Search Posts?

• 5 posts
    September 22, 2020 5:07 PM EDT

Hi, 

Am I correct that there is no way to search posts in SEPHP or am I just not finding it? IMO that is the first and most important thing to be searchable. Everything else is secondary. Posts are the primary communication mode on SE right? 

Thanks, 

Dave

• 6923 posts
    September 22, 2020 5:41 PM EDT

Blog posts, forum posts, poll posts, photo posts, classified posts, music posts, video posts are searchable. Groups and Events should show in search too. The activity feed is not searchable but an activity feed is just "temp" content basically. It's your quick, here's what I'm doing. The other stuff I mentioned is the site content and what is what gets people to your site in most cases. 

• 5 posts
    September 23, 2020 3:46 PM EDT

Hello Donna, thank you for your response 

That is one way to look at it. I'm sure that's true of many users' websites. Myself, I think facebook, twitter, reddit, etc... have the right idea making posts searchable. For my community that’s an essential feature as the discussions are 'the thing', and the people tend to prefer a post-and-comment format over a forum format. 

So i guess i'll have that feature custom-made. Do you think we'll run into any problems adding posts to the universal search? I don't know offhand how posts are handled in the database and code.  I mean is it a gonna be bigger customization than one might think for any reason? When you say temporary content you don’t mean that posts literally get auto-deleted or anything do you? just checking lol

Thanks!

Dave

This post was edited by DaveBush at September 23, 2020 6:30 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    September 24, 2020 5:13 AM EDT

Yes I can see that but those places you mention have huge budgets too. More than I will make in 10 lifetimes most likely. 

Feeds are not temporary in the sense that they delete. They are temporary in the sense that a user, with a short attention span online, will not see more than maybe two scrolls down a feed before giving up looking at older stuff. So, things posted in a feed tend to be here today and gone tomorrow in the sense of a user's attention. Site content, however, is easier to see as its contained in a more permanent place from a user view. Plus, content such as a blog is more substantial than "fluffy got her nails trimmed today." 

I don't see any problem adding it to search as a customization. You will definitely want the server budget for something like that as the feed database will be huge on an active site and searching through stuff will be a pretty big undertaking if you take the Number of Users x Amount of Feeds x Amount of Search Requests. You will probably want limits on that search such as x days so it doesn't go to infinity. Having a limit might not make you need to get a bigger server but you would need to ask an expert what they think the load would be.