How to re enable local storage

• 5 posts
    October 19, 2020 9:09 AM EDT

While setting up Amazon S3 storage service, I set it to default and thought I needed to disable local storage as well.  But when I disabled local storage, the entire site is no longer working.  Is this settings stored in the database or a file.  It appears in the database, since I was not able to find a file that was changed outside of the cache files.  Can someone please tell me how to re enable the local storage option without going through the admin site.  The admin site is broken as well.

• 6923 posts
    October 19, 2020 12:40 PM EDT

You can edit the cache file. The Tip in this tutorial shows how to edit the cache directory. Please read the full Tip.

• 5 posts
    October 19, 2020 2:51 PM EDT

The post by Donna did not really answer the question. It was.....reload your entire database with a backup copy.  While I suppose that would have worked.....after reviewing the code, I was able to find out that the table name is: engine4_storage_services; row 1 is the default local storage setting.

The initial install places a service_id = 1 - which is the default for local storage, the "enabled" field was set to 0.... i changed the database to a 1 and it fixed the issue.

• 348 posts
    October 20, 2020 1:44 AM EDT
    TroyH said:

While setting up Amazon S3 storage service, I set it to default and thought I needed to disable local storage as well.  But when I disabled local storage, the entire site is no longer working.  Is this settings stored in the database or a file.  It appears in the database, since I was not able to find a file that was changed outside of the cache files.  Can someone please tell me how to re enable the local storage option without going through the admin site.  The admin site is broken as well.

Hi Troy

There is a defined process for changing the storage to Amazon S3 from the Local Storage, its' not just about changing a single setting. 

Request you to please send an email here: support@socialapps.tech our Cloud Solution team will help you with this issue. 

Thanks!

• 5 posts
    October 20, 2020 7:56 AM EDT

Thanks for replying.  I was not suggesting that the procedure for enabling Amazon S3 should not be followed.  I apologize if that is how it came across.  I have the Amazon S3 storage working.... and was able to accomplish it using the link that support sent to me.... However, the post was somewhat outdated regarding how to find find/create the access keys on Amazon's website.  But that's really not your issue as Amazon changes their website frequently.  The point is, the content of the link that support sent to me did in fact point me in the right direction so I was able to enable the S3 storage.  I then made the S3 storage my default storage option.  But when I disabled local storage, the entire website broke.  I assume this might be because I didn't transfer or wait for the files to be transferred to the S3 site before disabling the local storage option.

• 348 posts
    October 21, 2020 1:38 AM EDT

Hi Troy

In that case, you are right. The website broke because the transfer didn't take place correctly to the S3 bucket. 
    I request you to please send an email to our support at support@socialapps.tech and our Cloud Solution team will help you out with this issue. 

Thanks!

• 6923 posts
    October 21, 2020 5:58 AM EDT
    TroyH said:

Thanks for replying.  I was not suggesting that the procedure for enabling Amazon S3 should not be followed.  I apologize if that is how it came across.  I have the Amazon S3 storage working.... and was able to accomplish it using the link that support sent to me.... However, the post was somewhat outdated regarding how to find find/create the access keys on Amazon's website.  But that's really not your issue as Amazon changes their website frequently.  The point is, the content of the link that support sent to me did in fact point me in the right direction so I was able to enable the S3 storage.  I then made the S3 storage my default storage option.  But when I disabled local storage, the entire website broke.  I assume this might be because I didn't transfer or wait for the files to be transferred to the S3 site before disabling the local storage option.

Thank you for posting your issue and solution. I didn't realize that the tutorial is outdated. I'll have to find someone to help in updating it as that most definitely is not my area of expertise.