Site Optimization

• November 14, 2020 4:39 AM EST
    Does anyone have any tips for site optimization? My site is pretty fast but still would like to make it even better if possible.
    • 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 4:42 AM EST

Thanks for re-posting this. I got sidetracked again in that short time lol. We had a few blog posts with tips but as that is not my expertise, it was just a few tips. Let me see if I can find them.

• 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 4:43 AM EST

Our search at our blog appears to be broken. I will go manually search. 

• November 14, 2020 4:44 AM EST
    It’s ok no rush. I’m on one of the top plans with Ric so have 9TB bandwidth just looking at ways to tweak it.
    • 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 4:46 AM EST

Well duh, I was searching SEO. You meant speed. Let me find that.

• November 14, 2020 4:49 AM EST
    Donna said:

Lol. Yes SEO has been perfect from day one. 98% of my users are on the mobile apps so it’s not really needed much at this point. Just around 700 members now so it’s growing pretty fast
    • 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 4:53 AM EST

https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5308720/se-php-socialengine-performance-and-speed-enhancement-tips that is older but some of that is relevant. You need to check images on your site too. If your site images are big, the speed suffers. Optimize your images if needed. 

I found nothing else. I know BryZar via Ric does provide paid service to speed a site but that is not my realm so the only tips I know are to keep it simple (no heavy plugins, no RSS feed plugins for sure), keep the feed refresh setting higher rather than lower (if it refreshes too often, it eats resources and site speed can suffer), the image optimization for site images, remove chat/IM as those are never good to host really. You can have one if you have the resources but in general, leave that to messenger, slack, etc. Even an external chat would be better than using server resources for it. If you know how to use GTmetrix, use that tool as it'll tell you where to improve.

SNS is improving their plugins for speed and weight. Perhaps if you use their plugins, check to see when that will be done.

I'm sure other clients will have tips for you as well. 

• 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 4:54 AM EST
    Lee@PhoenixSocial said:
    Donna said:

Lol. Yes SEO has been perfect from day one. 98% of my users are on the mobile apps so it’s not really needed much at this point. Just around 700 members now so it’s growing pretty fast

Wow that is great that it's growing fast for you. I recall a friend of mine who started an RP site had 10,000 users her first week. She was floored. It's nice when sites grow fast and with real members. Hope your membership continues to grow. 

• November 14, 2020 5:25 AM EST
    Donna said:

https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5308720/se-php-socialengine-performance-and-speed-enhancement-tips that is older but some of that is relevant. You need to check images on your site too. If your site images are big, the speed suffers. Optimize your images if needed. 

I found nothing else. I know BryZar via Ric does provide paid service to speed a site but that is not my realm so the only tips I know are to keep it simple (no heavy plugins, no RSS feed plugins for sure), keep the feed refresh setting higher rather than lower (if it refreshes too often, it eats resources and site speed can suffer), the image optimization for site images, remove chat/IM as those are never good to host really. You can have one if you have the resources but in general, leave that to messenger, slack, etc. Even an external chat would be better than using server resources for it. If you know how to use GTmetrix, use that tool as it'll tell you where to improve.

SNS is improving their plugins for speed and weight. Perhaps if you use their plugins, check to see when that will be done.

I'm sure other clients will have tips for you as well. 

Thanks I’m looking at moving the chat to a separate server just not sure what to use yet as SNS aren’t familiar with integrating rocket chat or another service into the apps
  • November 14, 2020 5:25 AM EST
    Donna said:
    Lee@PhoenixSocial said:
    Donna said:

Wow that is great that it's growing fast for you. I recall a friend of mine who started an RP site had 10,000 users her first week. She was floored. It's nice when sites grow fast and with real members. Hope your membership continues to grow. 

Omg 10,000 in a week, that would be awesome
    • 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 7:54 AM EST

yes it was awesome to see. She had over 100k her first month. However, it came with a cost too. Literally. She went up to high availability pretty fast. She also had to have people she trusted for admins and moderators. They had to implement an invite sort of system to deal with spammers but also competition who would try to come and either cause trouble or take members. It is quite a competitive market.

Flame wars were an issue. User stalking and bashing were issues. They were inundated with private messages of this one did that to me or that one did this to me, etc. So they got a ticket system. I think at the time I recommended the free Freshdesk. I don't recall. Her site is full of real users, very active and if you blink, you've missed several pages of feed items. It's that active. Hundreds online at a time, all posting. She also had an external chat. I believe she turned it off as it got too hard to monitor as people stalked in that too. Just too much liability.

But, still it's a good site and her key - planning. She planned. Not for that many users at once though as it was supposed to be just for her and her friends in her fb group. But, it just exploded lol. She planned for a good site. She does frequent events on the site, just contests and such. No real prizes, just recognition but they like that. She posts just about every day to keep the interaction going.

Guess this took it off track a bit. I'm sure your site will be great too as you are planning as well and looking at speed. These days, speed and content are what it's all about. 

• November 14, 2020 8:54 AM EST
    What’s her site I’ll check it out?
    • 6923 posts
    November 14, 2020 11:11 AM EST

I can't share it due to privacy policies. Sorry.