Profile questions for SE Techs

• 474 posts
    November 15, 2020 9:06 AM EST

Hei folkes.

Mikel here.
    for a while i have had this issue bugging me. So bare with me as i explain and request possible solutions. Because i dont believe this is a bug.. but more of a design build / layout thing..

firstly screenshots.

desk top version.. Notice all of the dead empty space on the page..

Mobile version..
    my site page compared to SE page using the serenity theme and SE mobile , no 3rd party products..

My Thoughts...
    I used to think this was a bug but now i mostly think that this is a design issue with the  (questions) and or (question header) tabs / blocks layout used for the products. I think they need a remake. 

Another screen shot.. (I know its a bit rubbish but its to give a rough idea).

If they could be re-made to look like this, i think it will be better and look more appealing and less visually messy. 

I think that the information will be better under the question  and not next to the question. Like they are on most all other sites that i use and visit.

Comparatively, all Sites get compared to sites like facebook, ebay, amazon and judged.

So i just want to workout the annoying little hic-ups before i go fully live after christmas (BAAAH Humbug)

Ok so ...Any thoughts, ideas ?

mikel.

This post was edited by Mikel at November 15, 2020 9:08 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    November 16, 2020 5:31 AM EST

Hi Mikel, yes we do have plans to improve the design. I'll move this to feature requests though it was already on the list. As things are responsive, we need to allow for that too. I'm sure we can make a better design though.

• 6923 posts
    November 16, 2020 6:13 AM EST

One quick suggestion is to change the layout of that page and add some sort of widget to the right or left side.

• 6923 posts
    November 16, 2020 6:21 AM EST

Here's one example. I made it a 3 column page, put the cats on the left and comments on the right.

• 6923 posts
    November 16, 2020 6:23 AM EST

Sorry for so many posts. I prefer to see the item's photos at the top of the listing. It seems weird to have them at the bottom. Or, have them to the left or right of the listing. Amazon puts the images to the left. We have things to improve lol. We will get there though.

• 474 posts
    November 16, 2020 2:20 PM EST

hei Donna..

Yeh, your image looks good for a desk top view but how does it look in mobile view...

I will have a play with your suggestion see if that improves things. I may just copy your advert layout also, see how that changes things...

Ive not spent much time on the my site lately, been doing other tax and accounting related work on my pensions company... busy busy busy...

Just a quick question..
    On SE product ads how did you create the text at the bottom.. Ive noticed it on all ads. There doesnt seem to be be any heading or Question with it..

thanks Donna

Mikel.

This post was edited by Mikel at November 16, 2020 3:02 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    November 17, 2020 6:02 AM EST

Hi Mikel,

Do you mean this:

If so, that's just the product description. If you mean something else, can you provide a screenshot?

• 474 posts
    November 17, 2020 6:44 AM EST

hei Donna.. Yes .. that looks good. It works great on mobile  / cell phone..

Gives me an idea, if it works. if i can create several ' product descriptions' with different headers it will work better for the look im after..

Thanks donna.

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    November 17, 2020 6:45 AM EST

Glad it works. We will still improve this. Everything will get overhauled in version 6 too.

• 474 posts
    November 17, 2020 6:55 AM EST

I see your updating V5 and plugins at the moment..

Just a quick question. Could a 'product description' question be created so that it is an option in profile questions for classifieds ? This way members could use it to create the look. It works better than other available options..
    Also i think it will be better than making changes to page layouts and poking around in the script...

thanks donna..

mikel.

Desk top image

mobile image (screen size 6.5 cm wide x 11.5 height) average screen size for mobile cell phones for my members..

This post was edited by Mikel at November 17, 2020 7:08 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    November 17, 2020 2:52 PM EST

You could probably do that now with the multi line question. It is a good idea to make that a field perhaps too. We can consider it and see if it'll create any issue. For now though, you could use the multi line.

• 474 posts
    November 17, 2020 3:01 PM EST

Hei Donna..

thanks... I tried that idea. Didnt work out. I have tried all question combinations.

I did think of seeing if i could isolate the specific script for that Specific item  (categories profile info) and seeing if it was possible to transplant it into the correct  location.. But im not going to mess with that idea... im not a tech.

thanks donna.