External Video Posting Not Working

• 303 posts
    November 28, 2020 12:57 PM EST

I know I have a good Video URL but when I try to post it in the activity feed or in the video section I get this "We could not find a video there - please check the URL and try again."

I am sure it's a good URL. I can post it here to show you but I know it's good. I checked this several times.

• 78 posts
    November 28, 2020 2:24 PM EST
    If its youtube, make sure you obtain youtube api key
    • 303 posts
    November 28, 2020 4:20 PM EST

It was working before. What would make it stop. I see the key is still there. Maybe I should reset?

• 13 posts
    November 28, 2020 7:18 PM EST

How long ago was it working?  A while back I was notified by Google that my old api keys were deprecated.  I went into the Developers Console and created a new api key.  The videos post now just fine.   

• 6923 posts
    November 29, 2020 5:10 AM EST

Definitely check your API as you also may have gone over quota. Thanks for the tips Ken!

• 303 posts
    December 1, 2020 3:10 PM EST

Is there a video tutorial for setting this up? I checked and it looks like it's set up correctly and it's not over quota.

This post was edited by whatonearth at December 1, 2020 3:22 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    December 2, 2020 5:08 AM EST

The only tutorial we have is not a video one but perhaps it will help, https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210594/se-php-videos . Perhaps the video you are sharing is not marked to be able to share? Does the same video work at our demo? I'll go test videos again on my staging site to ensure there isn't any issue. We did also have to create a new API key for our demo and staging as youtube changed their stuff not too long ago.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at December 2, 2020 5:08 AM EST
    • 303 posts
    December 2, 2020 7:00 AM EST

Donna, I am sure this stopped working when that person from one of the plugin makers was helping to remove the advanced videos plugin. I have to go through my emails and try to find out who that was. I will have to look.

I notice that Vimeo is working but youtube is not and I checked it. I am 100% sure it's a whack-a-mole thing that happened when they fixed one thing another thing popped up. If you know there that thread is or your know the person that was working on it can you point me to him or her?

I have checked the setting again based on the URL you sent me and it's all there and all set according to the google youtube API set up instructions.

This post was edited by whatonearth at December 2, 2020 7:02 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    December 2, 2020 7:06 AM EST

Hmmm. I suggest to get them to restore the video files if you can. They should overwrite on upgrades though. It sounds like they may have removed the api perhaps?I'll look for the thread but you should be able to also see it on your profile perhaps. I will be back in a little while after breakfast and try a search.

• 6923 posts
    December 2, 2020 7:46 AM EST

I found it. https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/2409/after-upgrade-some-videos-we-re-sorry

• 49 posts
    July 14, 2022 8:25 PM EDT

I am currently running my site at version 5.8. For some time, I have not been able to upload videos from an external site (YouTube, Vimeo); when I try to, I get this error message: “We could not find a video there – please check the URL and try again.” However, each time the URL has been correct, and I have been able to share the video elsewhere (social media, email, etc.) without any problem.

I tried checking the tutorial that Donna referenced above (https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210594/se-php-videos), but I get a page not found error.

Is this an issue that can be resolved without upgrading to version 6?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rebecca

• 6923 posts
    July 15, 2022 2:12 PM EDT

Hi Rebecca. For YouTube it has required you to use the YouTube API for a few years now. Perhaps you hadn't set it up or perhaps you are over quota at YouTube? The new learning center is linked above. Here's a link to the tutorial for videos: https://community.socialengine.com/blogs/597/116/video-plugin-widgets for other videos, you need to use the iframely. Either the free iframely hosting from BryZar, or the $2 dedicated. Or, you can get the iframely subscription from iframely which I think is about $30 per month. Here's more info on the free iframely from Bryzar:

https://community.socialengine.com/event/43/free-iframely-hosting

• 21 posts
    July 22, 2022 4:38 PM EDT

Rebecca -- We ran into a problem where the YouTube embed stopped working suddenly as well.  It turned out that Google assigns a Quota in the APIkey which drives your maps as well as YouTube embed. If you don't use it much when your network is getting off the ground, Google can set the quota to zero by Google which effectively disables it.

You can see from the Google Cloud Console: https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/dashboard. Look for the area Create credentials and then select API key.  Then look for the "quota" assigned to your key.  If you see "0" then you need to generate a new key and begin using that in your SE instance.

This may or may not be your problem, but something to take a look at.

George

• 6923 posts
    July 23, 2022 12:03 PM EDT
    George said:

Rebecca -- We ran into a problem where the YouTube embed stopped working suddenly as well.  It turned out that Google assigns a Quota in the APIkey which drives your maps as well as YouTube embed. If you don't use it much when your network is getting off the ground, Google can set the quota to zero by Google which effectively disables it.

You can see from the Google Cloud Console: https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/dashboard. Look for the area Create credentials and then select API key.  Then look for the "quota" assigned to your key.  If you see "0" then you need to generate a new key and begin using that in your SE instance.

This may or may not be your problem, but something to take a look at.

George

Your tip was perfect! Thank you!! I spent hours trying to find why my author site wasn't getting YouTube videos. I checked the api, created a new one, etc. I actually had to create an entire new project, new api, new credentials in order to make it work. The tip for me was seeing that my key had 0 quota. Apparently, if you don't use it for years, they completely kill it. My site had been on hiatus for years and I put it back online. I guess due to lack of use, they put the quota at 0 for the project. That required making a whole new project.

• 49 posts
    July 23, 2022 6:44 PM EDT

Donna & George . . . my apologies for my delay in responding! Usually I get an email when someone replies to one of my posts, so I know to respond, but this time I didn't receive any notification (that I'm aware of).

Thank you both so much for your replies! I appreciate the links and information and am about to work my way through it. Thank you again!