customize signup process by profile type

• 14 posts
    December 24, 2020 4:01 AM EST

Hello there. I'm trying to build a social network with SocialEngine, and eventually I came across this issue at the moment I added several profile types to my network. It would be great to be able to customize the signup process in Settings/Signup process. So for example, I'm thinking of being able to specify for which profile types a particular step should be considered. Thanks lot in advance.

• 474 posts
    December 24, 2020 8:33 AM EST

Hello Yasmany.

Mikel here. I am not a SE tech. I am just a normal member.

I have several Profile types on my site and members sign up to either, Business, public, Charity. or any other profile type i create.

For each of the profile types i also have set profile questions that relate to each profile type.

Question: Is this the type of sign up process you want ?

If the answer is yes, then there are a couple more steps you need to do before you can create profile types like you want. such as Subscription plans, profile types, member levels.

There is information about setting up profile types in Knowledge base.

Member Levels - SocialEngine PHP - Admin Panel Overview - Manage Menu

Profile Questions - SocialEngine PHP - Admin Panel Overview - Settings Menu

Setting Up Subscription Plans - SocialEngine PHP - Troubleshooting and Tips

check these out. they will help you. If you still have questions, just come back and ask questions on SE Help and tips.

thanks
    mikel.

• 14 posts
    December 26, 2020 3:00 PM EST

Hey Mikel. Thank for your reply. Unfortunately that's not what I'm want to achieve. Maybe I stated in not an obvious way. I'll try with an example in order to clarify the requirement I'm looking for. Suppose I have profile types X and Y. At the moment, both kind of profile types go through the same steps in the signup process, but...what if I have a signup step Z (for example, uploading documents for verification) that sould apply only for users who selected profile type X? For example, what if sellers need to upload a picture of their driving license and regular customers don't need to do it?

• 474 posts
    December 27, 2020 12:28 PM EST

Hello Yasmany.

I understand what you want. I am doing the same thing For all my members from February 2021.

There are 2, 3rd party devs you can use or look at.

1: Social networking solutions :  Member Verification via KYC Documents Plugin. 
    2: SocialApps.tech:  User Identity Verification / KYC Plugin. 

Both do plugins for verification of members using the KYC system that verifies document uploads such as passport, drivers licence or other paperwork.
    Check the reviews of other members that use or ask for members that use them and then trial one on your Development site.

Reason is , Since people upload paperwork, the KYC system may not be able to know the difference between real or fake, so be careful. Also you as the Admin of your site can choose to accept the uploaded paperwork and approve the member or not. Again you may not know weather or not the paperwork is real or fake.

I would recommend looking at what i mentioned first

many thanks

mikel.

• 14 posts
    December 28, 2020 3:27 AM EST

Hey Mikel. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, regarding the documents, I already have the Member Verification via KYC Documents Plugin. But the functionality I'm asking for is not related to the plugin. It is related to Social Engine itself. At the moment, there's no way to specify that the document step is mandatory for certain profile types and that step SHOUL NOT be displayed at all for other profile types. So, in the end, some profile types need to skip the step during sign up. Anyway, the documents step is just an exaple I put. In general, I haven't seen a way to not display a step for certain profile types during sign up. That's the requirement I'd like to have.

• 6923 posts
    December 28, 2020 9:49 AM EST

As profile types are not actually belonging to the user until they have joined a site, this would be difficult to do. Mikel's suggestion is how we do it here and how I do it at my own site, with free or paid subscriptions to get the user into the correct member level first. Once that happens, then they will have access to the correct profile type. It is kinda hard to see how profile questions could work otherwise as the user has not joined yet and so are not part of any member level or profile type. 

Feel free to submit a feature request (please follow the stickied guidelines) but you will need to describe it very well as atm I don't see how else to do it other than via the subscription method. 

• 14 posts
    December 30, 2020 8:01 AM EST

Hello dona. Tahnks for your reply. Unfortunately, I believe there's some sort of misalignment between what I'm trying to describe and what you are saying. Profile Types ARE part of the sign up process. Take a look at the Profile Questions (Settings/Profile Questions). In there, you can specify different questions for different profile types. Check the image below:

Actually, I tried moving the order of the steps and if the profile type selection comes after the Profile Questions step, then during sign up, a combo box for selecting the profile types appear and in that way you specify the profile type before the questions. 

The requirement I'm trying to describe is that it should be nice to have something like this, but for signup steps in general. In that way, for example, the Two Step Authentication step COULD BE ENABLED for the Sample profile type, and NOT DISPLAYED at all for other profile types.

• 6923 posts
    December 30, 2020 10:39 AM EST

Yes if you map the profile type to the member level, they are paired up. Perhaps I am not grasping still or not explaining so once we are off our break for the holidays, I will do more testing. 

• 474 posts
    December 31, 2020 10:31 AM EST

Hello Yasmany

Mikel here.

On my site i have 2 profile types, Public and Business. Both have different profile questions.

My site is not a live site yet as im waiting for new versions this year, also i am focused on my other business at the moment..

So just so i can understand better. Join my site 2 times as a , Public member and again join as a Business Member. You will see that profile questions are not the same.

If what i have done is also what you want to do let me know. 

twisdid.com

thanks
    mikel.