SE Forum 'Edit'

• 474 posts
    January 17, 2021 10:33 AM EST

Hei Donna.

Mikel here.

Not sure if you have been made aware... but i have tried using the 'Edit'  when creating .. but i just keep getting error message...

On here, This SE Forum..

Im just going to check my site and see if the same issue is there also.

thanks
    mikel.

• 474 posts
    January 17, 2021 10:35 AM EST

Hei Donna..

My site is ok, V5.4.1.. think the issue is just on this site..

mikel.

• 6923 posts
    January 18, 2021 6:14 AM EST

Yes that is how we have it set.  This preserves forum posts if someone threatens and then deletes their threat. The threat was already seen and impacted someone but then that person went and deleted it. We found that in cases like that, we need the evidence preserved and if it was deleted, it is no longer evidence.

• 474 posts
    January 18, 2021 11:08 AM EST

hei Donna..

Really .... Sad when that happens... really is..

can that alteration be made so that i can do the same on my site ?. Id like that option.

Many thanks
    mikel.

• 6923 posts
    January 19, 2021 5:10 AM EST

Yeah it is sad but it happens. It used to be prevalent at fox forum when I first was on it. So that policy was implemented there. Then, I believe about a year ago we had the same issue here and by the time I got on in the morning, the client had cleaned up their posts but the other client was upset as I couldn't ban as I hadn't seen the posts. Plus, legally, it's best to preserve things these days.

• 6923 posts
    January 19, 2021 5:12 AM EST

BTW, it is a user group setting we use here. If you want to do the same, go in the forum, or any plugin, to the member level settings. You'll see settings for whether a user can edit, etc.We just use that setting.

• 474 posts
    January 19, 2021 6:32 AM EST

Thanks Donna..

il make the change now..

thanks

mikle.

• 265 posts
    March 28, 2021 2:18 PM EDT

It's disappointing to see the 'Edit' function has been disabled. Could you not just add a database trigger on creating and updating forum replies that would create an audit log? As it's only for site owners it doesn't need to be pretty.

• 6923 posts
    March 29, 2021 4:14 AM EDT

Hi Abuk, that isn't something we would use here. It would create too much space usage. Since other site owners can keep the edit enabled if they want to, I don't see an issue. Everyone has their own rules and methods. For us, the edit is disabled due to issues in the past. We already see with logs that they are huge resource hogs. Hence the reason we tell clients to delete their warning and error logs periodically while making sure to try to get errors fixed so as not to generate the large log files.

• 6923 posts
    March 29, 2021 4:36 AM EDT

This might be something interesting to clients. You could submit a feature request for it with some details on how it could work. It needs thought though as the logs eat memory.

• 6923 posts
    March 29, 2021 4:40 AM EDT

Thinking about your idea @Abuk, since BryZar offers free offsite backups, I wonder if a log could just store over on something like that. Perhaps a setting for where to store the log file which requires some sort of external storage system in order to not bulk up the main server.

• 119 posts
    February 5, 2023 2:30 PM EST

Hi Donna,

Could you have a look at this new thread and give us some feedback?

https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3232/using-forum-permission-settings-for-edit-topic-and-posts/view/post_id/18803

Kind regards,

Mark