Circled Number Appearing in Activity Post Area?

• 233 posts
    February 1, 2021 10:46 AM EST

Hi all

What does what appears a random number indicate and why does it keep appearing when making posts in Activity Feed?

• 6923 posts
    February 1, 2021 3:08 PM EST

Hi! That's a new feature we added in one of the latest releases. All new features are posted in our release posts. You may want to have a look at those posts when you get a chance. This feature is a word count to show how many remaining characters are left in the post as it's best to have a post size limit. 

• 38 posts
    February 6, 2021 2:50 PM EST

I was wondering the same thing and what a great idea!

• 6923 posts
    February 7, 2021 4:57 AM EST

I forgot to say that you can set how many characters are allowed. https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5145005/se-php-activity-feed-settings it would be the Post Feed Character Limit. It's best to have a limit in the feed for stability and performance. If someone needs more than the default or what you set as a limit, they should use a blog or forum post for long posts. A feed is meant to be a somewhat short term thing in the sense that feed items tend to go out of view as new items are posted. These don't tend to get in google to boost SEO. This is another reason to keep the limit smaller and encourage blog or forum postings - those tend to be more long term and get in google.  

Now, don't take that to mean that feeds disappear from your site. They don't. They are stored in the database. I just meant from a viewpoint. Your users are normally not going to scroll down the feed more than 2 times and in many cases they don't scroll at all. However, they can easily search for blogs and forum posts to find things they want to read. It's much faster for them to do that and so your content gets viewed more and your users are happy as they have interesting stuff to read.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at February 7, 2021 4:57 AM EST
    • 38 posts
    February 9, 2021 7:55 PM EST

Excellent Donna and thank you for sharing more info for the mind. I'm putting together a bible for Social Engine.Helps me out a lot!