Creating Custom Module to Plug-Into Member Edit Form

• 29 posts
    February 4, 2021 4:27 PM EST

I need to be able to create a new entry in users fields.

You know like email, password, my_custom_field.

To do this, I think I have two options:

I either directly update the form in admin/user/manage/edit modal box or, i create a custom module.

I prefer the custom module option.

Now, to do that, I need a way to plug-into when the edit modal box is rendered.

But so far, I have not been able to figure it out.

So the question is, is this possible via a custom module?

If so, any idea on how to go about this?

Another thought is, perhaps if i can get my JS script to run on either admin/user/manage or admin/user/manage/editModal

then I can manipulate the DOM by inserting my fields in the form and using ajax to submit the data to the controllers.

I'll appreciate some guiding lights here...

Thanks everyone!

• 29 posts
    February 5, 2021 2:59 AM EST
    Thanks Ritikia!
    Apologies I was not too explicit!
    But yes! You're right!
    I want to edit that modal form and inject my own custom fields there.
    The catch, I want to do it from my own module.
    I wouldn't want directly edit SE files.
    For you know, when updates happen.
    But that's one way, another idea is to do this via JS.
    So, my 2nd question is, can my module somehow have access to any page on the admin back-end?
    That is, can the JS scripts of my module be loaded whenever any chosen page is loaded, so, meaning, can I load it globally?

Thanks.
    • 6923 posts
    February 10, 2021 1:51 PM EST

Please be aware that you'll want to stay in the loop when v6 releases as much will change. We have already removed mootools for that version which is very exciting. It will mean changes to various things. We'll post more once it releases.

• TJ
    • 9 posts
    February 10, 2021 3:39 PM EST
    Donna said:

Please be aware that you'll want to stay in the loop when v6 releases as much will change. We have already removed mootools for that version which is very exciting. It will mean changes to various things. We'll post more once it releases.

I know its not policy and unpredictable when v6 will be ready, but do you have a ball park/rough idea when that might be? I'd hate to invest too much time with changes early on in my project if we're talking a month or two from now...

Thanks, TJ

• 6923 posts
    February 11, 2021 5:31 AM EST

Hi TJ, please ask that in a different thread as I don't want to get this one off track with v6 questions. 

• 6923 posts
    February 12, 2021 5:47 AM EST

https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5505090/socialengine-php-development I forgot to link our developer guides. In the Technical overview is a hello world sample module.