Generic Menu

• 629 posts
    June 5, 2021 3:43 AM EDT

*Original Issue Title* = Make Generic Menu Widget Instances More Recognizable In Layout Editor

Did you know that the generic menu widget can literally pull up any menu you need and display it where you drop it on any page? I use this frequently on my site in an effort to simplify creating list items as it's much easier to add and update things in these menus where it's needed. This is because it serves as a relevant bookmarking system, better than any single instance of featured posts ever could.

Due to this menu being so instrumental in having many functions, it couldn't be further from what the name suggests. When I go to layout editor > page name > columns, and see several Generic Menu widgets, I don't know what I'm working with in case I need to edit it.

It would save a lot of time if I had admin titles (similar to HTML blocks) that identified what menu is currently displaying. Unlike single instance widgets (popular blogs, recent forum posts) this is the only menu of its kind that dynamically loads content and I intend to maximize its potential because of that.

Thank you for considering my request.

• 6923 posts
    June 5, 2021 4:32 AM EDT

That's some cool information. Can you let me know more of what you have in mind for this feature request? Is this for your other feature request for titles for the widgets? If so, that's already a request. If not, can you maybe give a screenshot example of what you want? 

• 629 posts
    June 5, 2021 8:51 PM EDT

Sure, I can provide more information.

See on the left where there's a few instances of the generic menu? Replace the text of the widget "Generic Menu" with an admin editable title.

• 6923 posts
    June 7, 2021 9:43 AM EDT

Ok that is the same as your other request from a while back.It is a good request. As I don't have time to search for the other one, I'll leave this one open as a refresher.